Ibehre is Albion striker target - Today's Argus

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.899922.0.0.php

Ibehre is Albion striker target
Exclusive By Andy Naylor

Albion are on the brink of finally landing a striker before the transfer window shuts at midnight.

Chairman Dick Knight has agreed a fee for an un-named forward he hopes to persuade to sign today.

Knight refuses to reveal the player's identity until the deal is completed, but The Argus understands the Seagulls are interested in Leyton Orient's Jabo Ibehre.
continued...

Albion have switched their attention to the free-scoring 23-year-old after a £150,000 bid for Congo international Tresor Kandol was rejected by Barnet.

They have also pulled out of the race with Blackpool to sign Ben Burgess, because the Hull front man, who is plagued by a knee problem, refuses to have a medical.

Ibehre joined Orient as a trainee in March 2000. The 6ft 2in Londoner has scored 25 goals in 82 league appearances and helped them to promotion from League Two last season.

Knight revealed: "I am in negotiations with two clubs about strikers, one of which I am optimistic will conclude before the deadline.

"I have actually agreed terms with another club, now it is a question of persuading the player and his agent.

"I made an offer for Kandol, then upped it to £150,000 but Barnet turned it down.

Knight added: "Burgess is ruled out because he will not come for a medical and I am not prepared to spend serious money without that."

Albion's interest in Kandol could still be revived as a result of the departure of Colin Kazim-Richards.

Knight also revealed plans for further squad strengthening. He said: "I am also working hard on a midfield player but that may have to be a loan which does not have a deadline."

I don't really know why I'm looking at the Argus this time of day. Lets hope we get someone in.

'night all :wave:

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Have to say I've never heard of him. Anyone know if he's decent ???

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think Ibhere may be one of the signings but not the main signing, that is what Im hoping anyway, from what I remember he started out as a forward but is now a midfielder.

That's a real shocker that Burgess is refusing to have a medical. If he doesn't think he can't pass an Albion medical, he must be well f***ed :D

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
London Irish said:
That's a real shocker that Burgess is refusing to have a medical. If he doesn't think he can't pass an Albion medical, he must be well f***ed :D

True........after all, what does our medical consist of ?......... "stick yer tongue out"........"drop yer pants and COUGH" ....your ok.................NEXT !!!!!! :lolol:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
hitony said:
True........after all, what does our medical consist of ?......... "stick yer tongue out"........"drop yer pants and COUGH" ....your ok.................NEXT !!!!!! :lolol:

I think this is where Blackpool's new found cash aids them - as I understand it, without a medical you cannot get insurance for a player. Therefore anybody taking him would be running the risk of him breaking down in the first month and never playing again or having a year out just as he has done recently.

I think whilst obvioulsy difficult for MM on this one as I'm sure he would have loved to have signed him, this is probably a risk (if the fee is 100k as reported) that would be too much to take.

having said that, if he scores 35 goals in the next two seasons for Blackpool there will be people who will not think so.

Just imagine what would have happened in Knight had blinked in the game of russian roulette with Brentford over Pinamonte and paid the extra cash to avoid him going there. We would never have had that young guy on Loan from Bristol Rovers :)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Cereal Killer said:

According to that he's scored 25 goals in 82 starts and 70 substitute appearances. Last season he managed a whopping 8goals in 38appearances in a league two promotion season. He also appears to be on a 17 game goalless streak...

Going on that he's not going to be the one scoring the goals to get us into the play offs. Maybe he does a great job of holdong up play, unsettling defenders, and linking with the other forwards?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I rated Ibhere when he was younger and we were in what is now League 2. Will be a valuble signing. I also wonder if the fact that Burgess wouldn't have a medical will shut some of the club's knockers. As usual the antis jump to the wrong conclusion and yet this time the club got it absolutely right.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sounds like the club are totally right about Burgess, it would be like buying a car but not bothering to look under the bonnet or take it for a test drive, he must have something to hide.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jabo Ibehre (Leyton Orient) appearances

Date Competition Home Res Away Gls Crd
26/08/2006 League One Leyton Orient * 0-1 Swansea City 0
24/08/2006 League Cup Leyton Orient 0-3 West Brom. 0
19/08/2006 League One Carlisle Utd. 3-1 Leyton Orient * 0
08/08/2006 League One Leyton Orient * 2-0 Millwall 0
05/08/2006 League One Port Vale 3-0 Leyton Orient * 0
Appearances 1 (* + 4 as sub); Goals 0; Yellow cards 0; Red cards 0

Started 1 game so far

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If we're shopping at Orient can we have Lee Steele back instead :clap2:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Repugnant Toad said:
No mention of a left-back, predictably ... :rolleyes:

Surely you dont expect us to sign a striker and possibly a midfielder and still be looking for a LB? That would make sense!

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:

That's what I was thinking! As for Ibehre, he sounds like the sort of striker we need as he can be used as a 'target man'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here