Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Brown's new one

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
will be getting it this week, cant wait to hear it loud on me system!!

ian brown = god

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In a word - YES.

Apologies to my mates who I posted a similar review to today.

The album picks up where Solarized and the World is Yours left off. It starts with the obligatory trumpets and a great anthem in Stellarised. It carries on with the social conscience song that he has on every album and then goes from strength to strength. I forget which track it is but there is even a more melodic and ethereal tune that could have come from the Stone Roses first album.

There's even a cover version - a reworking of Zager and Zagers "In the Year 2525" and this time Ian Brown takes it to a crecendo that you could almost imagine coming from an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western soundtrack. It's absolutely fantastic. Sweet fantastic perhaps?!!

All in all I'd say that it's a great album and up there with the best of his. Lots of artists this year have had near misses with new albums but not this. It really hits the spot. Well worth reading the lyrics too as you listen to it and you realise what a great and sensitive songwriter he is. He doesn't need clever wordplay either. Just beautifully simple words.

Somehting about his albums that make me wax lyrical (literally) and I find them very haunting. This is no exception. 8/10 from me and definitely one of the best homegrown albums of the year. There's a lot of really good stuff out there at the moment. Can't wait to see him live.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Is going to risk a bit of a flaming here but I've listened to it a couple of times and it's still not grown on me. Stellify is the standout track and no wonder it's the first single. The swipe at Squire is not subtle in the slightest and you can't help but wonder what his motivation for said track so long after the Roses? I can only assume that it is a message to everyone that the Roses will never reform in their original form as long as he has a hole in his arse.

Seeing him in Brixton and Manchester in December and at the moment I'm hoping it's a wide mix of stuff.

All that said I do agree with Buzzer and csider regardless of what I think of this album. The man is a god and has produced some of the greatest records in the last 20 years.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Brown is superb, but his stupid song "Illegal Attacks" with Skinhead O'Connor almost ruined my relationship with his music...

"So what the fook is this UK, doing with this US of A, in Iraq and Iran and in Afghanistan...?"

Erm, did I miss the invasion of Iran? I should have noticed something since I've spent the best part of the last six years either side of the fooking place.

No more like that and we'll all be baggy-tastic again Mr Brown, and keep away from that Fenian Fruitbat and we'll be back on course. And I will download your new album for nowt, I ain't fooking buying it, I'm too scally for that chuck.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Not as good as Solorized or The World Is Yours. And thats about as much as Ive got say on the matter. Although will no doubt enjoy the forthcoming tour regardless.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
In a word - YES.

There's even a cover version - a reworking of Zager and Zagers "In the Year 2525" and this time Ian Brown takes it to a crecendo that you could almost imagine coming from an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western soundtrack. It's absolutely fantastic. Sweet fantastic perhaps?!!

Listened to this last night, fantastic cover, absolutely spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here