Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I was there" - new game

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Yep, Reading away last game of the season. They won the league. Totally under-estimated Albion support & we took the town over!!! (Last game at Elm Park as well I think.)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
smudge said:
Yep, Reading away last game of the season. They won the league. Totally under-estimated Albion support & we took the town over!!! (Last game at Elm Park as well I think.)

i was mascot for that game!

torquay away, new years day 1997. phil andrewes scored, and it was so cold half the fans started running up and down the car park at the back to keep warm at half time

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i was there 92 winning 3 2 at exeter with a last minute winner from darron wilkinson! steve cotterell and fozzy also scored

D

Deleted User X18H

Simster said:
The rules are that you can only reply if you went to the away game described by the poster above. In your reply, you have to describe another away game.

I'll start:
Charlton away in 1984. 7,500 at the Valley - half the crowd were Albion fans. Gary O'Reilly put us in front after 46 seconds which turned out to be the winner.

That was new years day 1985!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
saltash seagull said:
i was there 92 winning 3 2 at exeter with a last minute winner from darron wilkinson! steve cotterell and fozzy also scored

i was there

01/02 season away to posh 4000 od away fans bobby back from injury slotted past a great goal

harty also went of with a broken leg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
lincs seagull said:
i was there

01/02 season away to posh 4000 od away fans bobby back from injury slotted past a great goal

i was there. cambridge away 98-99, it was a friday night in october, it pissed down with rain and we won 3-2 with rod thomas scoring on his debut

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
lincs seagull said:
i was there

I was there ....

Penultimate away match at Carlisle in our Div 3 Championship season 2000-2001, boring scrap of a game, but what a party atmosphere - red and black balloons everywhere and bearing in mind how far it was from Sussex, it was like we were at home

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i was there fantastic day! except for poor old harty. southend away when watto scored a cracker but jonsey scored there winner and we lost 2 1

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
saltash seagull said:
i was there fantastic day! except for poor old harty. southend away when watto scored a cracker but jonsey scored there winner and we lost 2 1

i was there on that tuesday night!

hull away 1995-96. it was an evening game, bottom 2 in the table, and we drew 0-0 in the absolute freezing cold. so cold they had to shut the away terrace because it was freezing over

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Scotty M said:
i was there. cambridge away 98-99, it was a friday night in october, it pissed down with rain and we won 3-2 with rod thomas scoring on his debut

I was there this season at middlesbro when the mighty marine had a blinder and we nearly beat the cup winners

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Scotty M said:
i was there on that tuesday night!

hull away 1995-96. it was an evening game, bottom 2 in the table, and we drew 0-0 in the absolute freezing cold. so cold they had to shut the away terrace because it was freezing over

Talking of evening games in Hull, must have been the 98-99 season, we beat them 2-0, Hart and Barker and had Arnott and Johnson sent off, Nine men and Hove Albion...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
lincs seagull said:
I was there this season at middlesbro when the mighty marine had a blinder and we nearly beat the cup winners

I was there

And I was at the Brenford cup game many years ago when they were in the 3rd, we were in the 2nd and they were walking all over us. THe North Stand started singing

"We love you Brentford, We do"

in objection to the dreadfull way the Albion were playing

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was there.

How about...1996-7 ish, a midweek game at the Goldstone, the angry but small crowd files into the ground. Nobody watches the game, all eyes are on the directors' box. Ten minutes in, Bellotti and wife think they can sneak in, only to face an avalanche of screaming and abuse from furious fans. A quick word from the police and Bellotti is ushered back out, to the ecstatic cheers of the fans. I don't think he made another appearance at the ground. Apparently he had to keep finding new places to park when he did turn up, as his tyres kept getting mysteriously punctured. He was parking at Wadham Kenning at one point.

The game might have been Darlington.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
edna krabappel said:
I was there.

How about...1996-7 ish, a midweek game at the Goldstone, the angry but small crowd files into the ground. Nobody watches the game, all eyes are on the directors' box. Ten minutes in, Bellotti and wife think they can sneak in, only to face an avalanche of screaming and abuse from furious fans. A quick word from the police and Bellotti is ushered back out, to the ecstatic cheers of the fans. I don't think he made another appearance at the ground. Apparently he had to keep finding new places to park when he did turn up, as his tyres kept getting mysteriously punctured. He was parking at Wadham Kenning at one point.

i think it was darlington, and i was there. if it was, we lost 3-2 in jimmy case's last game in charge.

how about swansea away, first game of the 97-98 season. i have no idea what the score was, all i can remember is that it was boiling hot

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Scotty M said:
i think it was darlington, and i was there. if it was, we lost 3-2 in jimmy case's last game in charge.

how about swansea away, first game of the 97-98 season. i have no idea what the score was, all i can remember is that it was boiling hot

We lost 1-0 and it was very hot. We had a guest on our train, from Bridgend onwards, due to some Albion fans asking the failed MP to disembark from their train at Bridgend.

He did run very fast at Paddington...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
how about kingstonian away in the fa cup in 94-95. i remember we lost, i think it was 2-0 or 2-1

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, another chapter in our glorious FA Cup history....

Does anyone remember a League (Littlewoods?) Cup game at home to Gillingham in about 1987 at the Goldstone. We had and still have an awful record in the competition. It was an evening game, and we were in a higher league than them. Their keeper (Phil Kite) was sent off after about 20 minutes for kicking Paul Wood 6ft up in the air when he was clean through on goal.

They had to stick a 5ft-something defender called Paul Haylock in goal, and we spent the rest of the 90 minutes and extra time failing miserably and embarrassingly to even slightly test him. Then it went to penalties.

You guessed it, the midget defender in goal saved the crucial penalty, from Chris Hutchings I think, and we managed to lose the game.

I was about 10, and it was my first experience of just how depressing football can be sometimes.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
edna krabappel said:
I was there.

I think that was the first game when the 'exclusion zone' around the Directors Box was in force - bascially no-one was allowed in that sliver of terracing that ran along the foot of the West Stand. At preious games it had been packed with fans hurling abuse at Bellotti and trying to climb through the press box to get at him.

Naturally pissed off with this exclusion zone, a couple of dozen Albion fans ran across the pitch from the North the moment Bellotti made his customary appearance one minute after KO. Their aim was to stand in the exclusion zone, make the point that he couldn't keep them out parts of the ground they wanted to be in. Bellotti took one look at the running mob and scarpered. In all I think he lasted 15 seconds of that game.

In an Argus Goodbye Goldstone special later that season, past players and managers etc were asked to nominate their favourite Goldstone memory. All named games from their career etc, apart from Steve Foster. He named this moment as his most treasured Goldstone memory. Bloody marvellous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here