Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I took these photos on Monday

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A rather upsetting and poignant reminder of what we've lost.

Can anyone guess where it is, before I say any more?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 639
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 637
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 842

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not really sure but I'll have a guess at Roots Hall?

But one thing is the floodlights, quite rare although we had them at the Goldstone. Because the gantry holding the lamps tilts, rather than each lamp, they are 'Scottish' style.......I don't know why either?!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Deffo Jockland...Dumfries?

Not Roots Hall. Too classy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

But one thing is the floodlights, quite rare although we had them at the Goldstone. Because the gantry holding the lamps tilts, rather than each lamp, they are 'Scottish' style.......I don't know why either?!

I remember reading somewhere that it is indeed from Scotland and was called "drenchlighting" as opposed to "floodlighting".

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Deffo Jockland...Dumfries?

Not Roots Hall. Too classy.

Is the correct answer. Queen of the South, which I didn't know was in Dumfries till I saw the ground. Popped into Scotland to see the (cycling) tour of Britain on Monday, having been to Carlisle.

Had heard previously that the Goldstone floodlights were Scottish. Seems such a shame that they couldn't have left them in position. Would love to go to a match this ground, though surprisingly it only has a capacity of 6,500, despite the large terrace behind the goal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Terraces, at Roots Hall?!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I remember reading somewhere that it is indeed from Scotland and was called "drenchlighting" as opposed to "floodlighting".

With hingdsight my guess at Roots Hall was dumb. Those 'drenchlights' were unique in the English league as they were only found at Brighton, if I remember correctly.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Looks like Plough Lane

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I guess it's not Falmer then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thinking about it, its a bit BONE to have the whole floodlight structure tilting like that, when all you really have to do is tilt the bulbs.

Duuurrr.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I went to a game there once. It reminded me of the Goldstone in quite a few ways really, not just the drenchlighting but similiar massing of terraces and stands just at 60% size or so. It was a grand day oot, and the Doonhamers one handsomely. This very much to the delight of the 2,500 or so crowd.

Lovely.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Palmerston Park must be one of the few places that still retain drench lighting systems

Tannadice still has them:
tannadice-park2.jpg

Dens Parks are of the non-tilting variety:

tanagu5.png

These are no more:

CelticPark1984.jpg

easterrd.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here