Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think the FANS have to take some of the blame for low gates

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Might seem a strange thing to say but so many of the fans left at Withdean spend the entire game MOANING and BITCHING that I can fully understand why more casual fans are not enjoying the experience as much.

Obviously the team, the manager, prices and the results are important but the fans are not blameless.

No roof, miles from the pitch etc etc but when the fans got behind the team for the last ten minutes last night it was FUN.

The main reason I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket is not the team (I've seen worse) its the constant MOANING of the fans.

I know at least those people are there and they have paid their money so deserve to have their say etc but perhaps keep it to yourself. Not everyone wants to hear people moan at every single misplaced ball.

If the fans got behind the team it would be a far more fun place to come to WHATEVER the result.

My first albion game - I dont remember much about the TEAM or the MATCH. I remember the FANS and the NOISE.

Kids coming today are hardly going to be wowed by a bunch of miserable old gits moaning about how we should resign Cullip...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think you can blame anyone for never wanting to go to Withdean again for both the reason you've said, and the VFM aspect. The fact that there are 5,000 plus who still want to is a huge bonus for the club, the situation has tested their love of the Albion and live football generally, and the club should be grateful they're still coming.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Might seem a strange thing to say but so many of the fans left at Withdean spend the entire game MOANING and BITCHING that I can fully understand why more casual fans are not enjoying the experience as much.

Obviously the team, the manager, prices and the results are important but the fans are not blameless.

No roof, miles from the pitch etc etc but when the fans got behind the team for the last ten minutes last night it was FUN.

The main reason I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket is not the team (I've seen worse) its the constant MOANING of the fans.

I know at least those people are there and they have paid their money so deserve to have their say etc but perhaps keep it to yourself. Not everyone wants to hear people moan at every single misplaced ball.

If the fans got behind the team it would be a far more fun place to come to WHATEVER the result.

My first albion game - I dont remember much about the TEAM or the MATCH. I remember the FANS and the NOISE.

Kids coming today are hardly going to be wowed by a bunch of miserable old gits moaning about how we should resign Cullip...

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the players have to give the fans something to cheer

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think fans who don't go to games should be blamed for low gates.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I posted similair sentiments on an earlier thread.
People honestly don't seem to remember how to enjoy watching lower league football.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
why are people called fans or supporters when they dont support/encourage the team??

most of the negativity comes from the home games, as at away games most of the fans attetion is getting behind the team and trying to out sing the home fans as we are out numbered 4 to 1

even with 4300 fans in the stands, the atmosphere was buzzing and loud for the last 10 minutes. When we scored, we were roaroing the team on and we created 2 corners straight away

we got behind them more and more, the players responded, attacked their defence, and eventually we got a winner deserved or undeserved.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
shocking turnout last night
interesting couple of posts on Ask The Club re smoking, I wonder if that has had a little impact on gates

cos last night a mate (well a mates mate) got chucked out by 5 stewards at half time as he sneaked a cheeky fag well behind a burger van. Yeah he shouldnt have really done it, but hes not going back, I wonder how many people arent going due to the ban? They could easily let people out and in, though dont know the full rules

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
cos last night a mate (well a mates mate) got chucked out by 5 stewards at half time as he sneaked a cheeky fag well behind a burger van. Yeah he shouldnt have really done it, but hes not going back, I wonder how many people arent going due to the ban? They could easily let people out and in, though dont know the full rules

what are the rules about smoking in football grounds? you can smoke at gloucester rugby games and at cheltenham racecourse

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
shocking turnout last night
interesting couple of posts on Ask The Club re smoking, I wonder if that has had a little impact on gates

It could be. In an area I know about, attendances in snooker clubs have been badly hit by the smoking ban. Not saying it's a bad thing, just stating the fact. Actually it's quite an advantage to be able to see the other end of the table. Obviously a lot of snooker halls are up some stairs, which probably isn't encouraging the Bill Werbeniuk types on 40 a day. I imagine there is some overlap in football crowds and snooker enthusiasts.

Exactly right RM.
I've said this before, and still think its a good idea, Can we not encourage us non moaners, potential singers and the more light hearted amounst us to use the east stand. We could at least attempt to create a bit of an atmosphere and make match days a bit more enjoyable (any one moaning without due reason would be asked politely to leave).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Exactly right RM.
I've said this before, and still think its a good idea, Can we not encourage us non moaners, potential singers and the more light hearted amounst us to use the east stand. We could at least attempt to create a bit of an atmosphere and make match days a bit more enjoyable (any one moaning without due reason would be asked politely to leave).

:ascarf:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where do you stop with the whole 'anti-moaner thing' though? Let's be honest, you could be a laugh-a-minute, Dick Van Dyke character who arrives at the game dressed as a clown and sings 'Brighton, Brighton, ra, ra, ra' for the whole 90 minutes - but there will be something, sometime, that makes you lose it. Yes, Mayo, that's you. So are you then a moaner, and swiftly despatched through the gates of hell? Or do you get three lifelines for justifiable fury?

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
what are the rules about smoking in football grounds? you can smoke at gloucester rugby games and at cheltenham racecourse

I have looked into this smoking buisness and have found out that you cannot smoke if a building has three sides and a roof(the withers doesn't have any roofs)
But the smoking still comes into force because it is owned by the council and you cannot smoke in any council premises.As for leaving the stadium F.A ground regulations state that you cannot leave the ground at any time unless you are not coming back into that particular game.The albion stewards have been voted the best stewards in all divisions for the last four seasons because of the way they implement all ground regulations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here