Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I see lots of hate on here for palace but you wouldn't want them to go bust would you

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
all this is never going to stop mate , never mind, guess you'll have to stay away then , that's a real shame don't you think ?

to be honest, no.

not being around neanderthals is generally a seriously better option from my perspective

"never going to stop"........................?
well if we are in a different division for the next 20 years then it might.
Equally, if we play each other twice a year for the next 20 years then the violent edge will probably go as it has with most rivalries of genuine longstanding.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually the title of this thread is about twenty years out of date. They've already GONE bust, re-formed, carried on as if nothing had happened, gone bust, re-formed, carried on as if nothing had happened ...

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
as someone who did grow up in the 70s and saw the hatred first hand I would not cry if palace went bust. (the only team i feel that about ) Also i was unfortunate enough to witness first hand the violence at the motorway services last season .(we where away at forrest they where at derby ) And from that i see that palace fans are just looking to start trouble where ever and when ever they can. and as such i wouldent miss them. (would maybe feel sorry for the very few decent palace fans i have met ) sorry if this upsets some people but its how i feel
PS I was not well enough to attend the remf game at lewis so maybe i just havent seen the good side of them

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
as someone who did grow up in the 70s and saw the hatred first hand I would not cry if palace went bust. (the only team i feel that about ) Also i was unfortunate enough to witness first hand the violence at the motorway services last season .(we where away at forrest they where at derby ) And from that i see that palace fans are just looking to start trouble where ever and when ever they can. and as such i wouldent miss them. (would maybe feel sorry for the very few decent palace fans i have met ) sorry if this upsets some people but its how i feel
PS I was not well enough to attend the remf game at lewis so maybe i just havent seen the good side of them

They're just people, some are twats, some are decent.

If you think the football club that you support defines you as a person I think you are 100% wrong. Personally I have more time for a Palace fan than for a plastic Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea glory seeker. At least they are doing it because Palace are their local team, no matter how shit a season it is, (and let's face it, we've been there plenty of times).

I want Palace to get relegated (and next), and the Albion to take six points from them this season, and every time we are in the same division as them, but that's as far as it goes. Certainly the first result I look for after ours each week, but only to see if they have lost.

As for being a 'bigger' club than them, could not care less.

Looking at their accounts, they do have a tough time ahead, although they have (somehow) spent money on their facilities last year to the tune of about £4 million.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'd like them to survive, yes. And to be honest whilst they are the team I want us to beat more than any other, I struggle to "hate" them. Conversely, I absolutely detest Portsmouth and always have.

Likewise, if any club should go it should be the constant offenders.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

funnily enough, I also feel the same way about west ham. After being on the wrong end of a few incidents in the promotion years in the late 70's, I have never seen them as anything but neanderthal thugs.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Its a funny old game, as they say...I think all this talk of "going bust" is a bit OTT.

But when BHA played Hereford in that steve Gritt game all those years ago, I dont think anyone cheered more when Brighton scored as I listened to the whole game live (in a car park in Tun wells ?) My Mrs was a bit confused when she came back from shopping as to my glee at your draw and asked why...? my reply was, Football would be boring without Brighton, I said!!

It looks like for a season or two you lot might have the upper hand and good luck to you but we will be back on top soon x

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I agree but I would add that I don't want them to get relegated either. What's the point of a rivalry if you don't play your rivals?

The endless playground 'hate' posts on here about Palace are just tedious ramblings. Playing them is everything and although last season's games were disappointing I can't wait to play them again this season. And beating them would be far more enjoyable than that all the boring words.

I agree, especially about the 'hate' posts being tedious. If they or any other club needed a fans assistance then I would be willing.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Its a funny old game, as they say...I think all this talk of "going bust" is a bit OTT.

But when BHA played Hereford in that steve Gritt game all those years ago, I dont think anyone cheered more when Brighton scored as I listened to the whole game live (in a car park in Tun wells ?) My Mrs was a bit confused when she came back from shopping as to my glee at your draw and asked why...? my reply was, Football would be boring without Brighton, I said!!

It looks like for a season or two you lot might have the upper hand and good luck to you but we will be back on top soon x

Thanks for that cheer so many years ago. Yours is the sort of rivalry I totally accept.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Palace weren't our rivals when I started following the Albion. Wouls I be upset if they "died"? To be honest, from a rivalry viewpoint - no.

I will qualify that. I would hate to see them go out of existence as a club. But I really couldn't care less if they got relegated or if we never played them again.

There are elements to this "rivalry" that I genuinely dislike. When I started watching the Albion in the late fifties/early sixties, football was a family sport - at least I believe it was but perhaps I only remember it from my perspective as a child. Certainly we had no local rivals and if there were any games that were especially closely contested it was against the likes of Reading and Bournemouth, Brentford, Orient, Southend and Aldershot depending on which division we were in at the time. I can't be bothered to check but I'm sure we were rarely in the same division as Palace until the mid seventies when Mullery managed to kick off one of the most surprisingly enduring hatreds in modern football.

What does that hatred bring? Well the word itself "hatred" says a great deal and that is not something I feel overly comfortable with in the context of a leisure activity.
The rivalry was founded in the worst era in British and european sporting history for wanton violence when the fighting in and around the the grounds took precedence for many over the game on the pitch. Ours is one of relatively few (perhaps because we have met relatively infrequently in the intervening years) not to have been diluted over time and for too many fans it remains an opportunity to stoke hatred and to actively seek a verbally and physically violent outlet for their sporting passion.

Now I know I'm going to be slagged off for this but I don't think that violence in society is acceptable or that it should somehow be ringfenced if it is associated with sport. One of the great successes of the modern all-seater sporting arenas is that it has (whilst admittedly reducing the opportunity for displays of physical passion and emotion and therefore having an adverse effect on atmosphere for those of us brought up on terraces) encouraged a return of football as a family sport. Being held back after a game then herded through the streets and being pelted with bricks? Having seats and toilets vandalised and groundstaff attacked?.................? Not for me thanks. Not since I grew up and had children and grandchildren to think about.

Brighton v Palace is the only fixture remaining where I will not take my wife or my grandchildren.

There is a vocal (I genuinely hope) minority who think I am wrong to find that unacceptable but I love the Amex experience and I love travelling the country to follow the Albion. I just won't go to Albion v Palace games because the pleasure takes second place to violent conflict.

Oh and "stand up if you hate palace" EVERY GAME? Oh please! Says it all about how sad and outdated the rivalry has become
Well said Severnside...the stand up if you hate palace chant is well dated now...time to refresh some of the old chants.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I have no problem with them going bust.
This. f*** 'em, they lorded it over us for years after twice cheating to stay in existence, while we played by the rules and struggled. The thought of their fans crying into their beer fills me with great joy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Millwall is the only club I would like to see go bust, and that's because the vitriolic hatred that they seem to enjoy using to fuel their club just has no place in society.

As for Palace, no I don't want them going bust. I enjoy them losing. I also enjoy the intense rivalry. It's a shame that a few knuckle draggers on both sides are unable to keep their physical aggression in check, but hey that comes with the territory.

I have no doubt that as a percentage Palace fans are far more likely to be more knowledgable about the game as a whole than a JCL premiership customer. No surprise there and therefore we want fans like that in the game.

I will very much enjoy the next few years. I remember when Palace advertised for new rivals because we were doing so badly. That both hurt, but reminded me when we were really down that despite wishing defeat on us they wanted the rivalry to survive.

I really wouldn't wish the loss of their club on any supporter (including Pompey and Rangers) for as El Presidente said, they're just people - except Millwall!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here