Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I see lots of hate on here for palace but you wouldn't want them to go bust would you

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
This. This is why I'm not a fan of the 'stand up if you hate palace' song when we're playing someone else. I'm more of a 'stay sitting down if you couldn't give a monkeys about Palace and would rather concentrate on THIS game' kind of guy.

Edit: to answer the question, no I would not like to see any club go bust.

I agree but I would add that I don't want them to get relegated either. What's the point of a rivalry if you don't play your rivals?

The endless playground 'hate' posts on here about Palace are just tedious ramblings. Playing them is everything and although last season's games were disappointing I can't wait to play them again this season. And beating them would be far more enjoyable than that all the boring words.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't hate them, I enjoy having a rivalry with them.

Whether or not I want to see them go bust depends on how they go bust, their attitude and actions in response to the threat of going bust. For example, don't want to see plymouth go bust - they have accepted their position and the justice in falling through the leagues, have taken action to raise the profile of the cause. Portsmouth - kept repeating the mistakes that led to a first administration, arrogantly believe they deserve to be in the top division and falling into league one is the worst thing to ever happen to them, have waited until a couple of weeks before a deadline to start doing anything, and that is asking players to take a pay cut/walk away ignoring their multi-million pound pay arrears, so that one of the men who put them in this position can take the club over again, so I'm disappointed it's looking like they will avoid going bust.

It's up to the club and is fans how much I want them t survive.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
This. I would not wish them to fold, but a few years of lower league struggles would be perfect. See how funny they think it is when it happens to them.

Yep, they had their days being all chipper while we struggled - even liked telling us how above us they have been. They didn't care about not playing us for years though - so I'm a bit ambivalent about them biting the dust completely. Kind of 'meh' actually, we wouldn't miss them.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It would depend on the circumstances. This is NOT the 1990s any more, football has moved on and people who still trot out the old expressions such as "No one wants to see a club go bust" and "it's not the fans' fault" really haven't been paying attention to the way British football has been going over the last twenty years.

And don't forget that 'going bust' is not the same as 'dying'. At least two clubs of our recent acquaintance (Halifax and Chester) went bust, reformed and started again - and their fans think it's the best thing that ever happened to them as it gave them a clean slate.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Palace weren't our rivals when I started following the Albion. Wouls I be upset if they "died"? To be honest, from a rivalry viewpoint - no.

I will qualify that. I would hate to see them go out of existence as a club. But I really couldn't care less if they got relegated or if we never played them again.

There are elements to this "rivalry" that I genuinely dislike. When I started watching the Albion in the late fifties/early sixties, football was a family sport - at least I believe it was but perhaps I only remember it from my perspective as a child. Certainly we had no local rivals and if there were any games that were especially closely contested it was against the likes of Reading and Bournemouth, Brentford, Orient, Southend and Aldershot depending on which division we were in at the time. I can't be bothered to check but I'm sure we were rarely in the same division as Palace until the mid seventies when Mullery managed to kick off one of the most surprisingly enduring hatreds in modern football.

What does that hatred bring? Well the word itself "hatred" says a great deal and that is not something I feel overly comfortable with in the context of a leisure activity.
The rivalry was founded in the worst era in British and european sporting history for wanton violence when the fighting in and around the the grounds took precedence for many over the game on the pitch. Ours is one of relatively few (perhaps because we have met relatively infrequently in the intervening years) not to have been diluted over time and for too many fans it remains an opportunity to stoke hatred and to actively seek a verbally and physically violent outlet for their sporting passion.

Now I know I'm going to be slagged off for this but I don't think that violence in society is acceptable or that it should somehow be ringfenced if it is associated with sport. One of the great successes of the modern all-seater sporting arenas is that it has (whilst admittedly reducing the opportunity for displays of physical passion and emotion and therefore having an adverse effect on atmosphere for those of us brought up on terraces) encouraged a return of football as a family sport. Being held back after a game then herded through the streets and being pelted with bricks? Having seats and toilets vandalised and groundstaff attacked?.................? Not for me thanks. Not since I grew up and had children and grandchildren to think about.

Brighton v Palace is the only fixture remaining where I will not take my wife or my grandchildren.

There is a vocal (I genuinely hope) minority who think I am wrong to find that unacceptable but I love the Amex experience and I love travelling the country to follow the Albion. I just won't go to Albion v Palace games because the pleasure takes second place to violent conflict.

Oh and "stand up if you hate palace" EVERY GAME? Oh please! Says it all about how sad and outdated the rivalry has become

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I agree but I would add that I don't want them to get relegated either. What's the point of a rivalry if you don't play your rivals?

The endless playground 'hate' posts on here about Palace are just tedious ramblings. Playing them is everything and although last season's games were disappointing I can't wait to play them again this season. And beating them would be far more enjoyable than that all the boring words.

Whilst the rivalry is deemed important by many, their relegation would be a perfect season for me.

All of their Billy Big Bollocks bragging about how long they've remained outside of the bottom 2 divisions is becoming irksome-especially as their 'achievements' were all at other people's expense. We've even got one of their twats boasting that, like us, they owe nothing. No you dimwit, you ran away from your responsibilities, twice, screwing people out of millions. You still owe, you've just found a way to get out of paying your debts, twice in 10 years. Administration should mean instant relegation out of the FL.

A few years of struggling with no money is what they deserve and I hope it starts this season for them. Their struggles can't come soon enough for me and I'll be quite happy not playing them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whilst the rivalry is deemed important by many, their relegation would be a perfect season for me.

All of their Billy Big Bollocks bragging about how long they've remained outside of the bottom 2 divisions is becoming irksome-especially as their 'achievements' were all at other people's expense. We've even got one of their twats boasting that, like us, they owe nothing. No you dimwit, you ran away from your responsibilities, twice, screwing people out of millions. You still owe, you've just found a way to get out of paying your debts, twice in 10 years. Administration should mean instant relegation out of the FL.

A few years of struggling with no money is what they deserve and I hope it starts this season for them. Their struggles can't come soon enough for me and I'll be quite happy not playing them.

This WITH BELLS ON

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Na, no club should go bust.......apart from west ham.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Nail. Head.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There is a massive step up between each league caused by there being too many professional clubs for lower teams to grow enough of a fanbase to try and compete. I personally think we should reduce the number of teams in each league to 20 which means we need to loose some clubs.

I am delighted when they loose, and love seeing them relegated. If they were to go bust I'd laugh for a while before moving on and finding anothr rival to detest

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not really that bothered if they were to go under and disappear. Its not like the players/fans/staff etc would disappear from the sport, they'd just move on.

As for the rivalry. Having lived in Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham before moving to the south coast, I find it a shame that we can't produce two clubs of sufficient size from our immediate area. Then we could have an little internal rivalry spurring on and motivating both and generating a little [friendly] banter without having to look as far a Croydon for it.

"Stand up if you hate Palace" at every game..? I've always seen this as a little bit of harmless defiance and ribbing of the ground stewards as they struggle to walk the line between the "all-seater" rules and the desire of many to stand during a match (the next major step forward in uk football grounds MUST be safe-standing!).

If we need Clubs to fold to make others sit up and notice - I'd vote for Palace & Pompey - serial admin abusers and shite supporters (apart from Pompey :D)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

All of this. Want to BATTER them at least once first though, before we wave goodbye to them as they tumble down into League One.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Palace weren't our rivals when I started following the Albion. Wouls I be upset if they "died"? To be honest, from a rivalry viewpoint - no.

I will qualify that. I would hate to see them go out of existence as a club. But I really couldn't care less if they got relegated or if we never played them again.

There are elements to this "rivalry" that I genuinely dislike. When I started watching the Albion in the late fifties/early sixties, football was a family sport - at least I believe it was but perhaps I only remember it from my perspective as a child. Certainly we had no local rivals and if there were any games that were especially closely contested it was against the likes of Reading and Bournemouth, Brentford, Orient, Southend and Aldershot depending on which division we were in at the time. I can't be bothered to check but I'm sure we were rarely in the same division as Palace until the mid seventies when Mullery managed to kick off one of the most surprisingly enduring hatreds in modern football.

What does that hatred bring? Well the word itself "hatred" says a great deal and that is not something I feel overly comfortable with in the context of a leisure activity.
The rivalry was founded in the worst era in British and european sporting history for wanton violence when the fighting in and around the the grounds took precedence for many over the game on the pitch. Ours is one of relatively few (perhaps because we have met relatively infrequently in the intervening years) not to have been diluted over time and for too many fans it remains an opportunity to stoke hatred and to actively seek a verbally and physically violent outlet for their sporting passion.

Now I know I'm going to be slagged off for this but I don't think that violence in society is acceptable or that it should somehow be ringfenced if it is associated with sport. One of the great successes of the modern all-seater sporting arenas is that it has (whilst admittedly reducing the opportunity for displays of physical passion and emotion and therefore having an adverse effect on atmosphere for those of us brought up on terraces) encouraged a return of football as a family sport. Being held back after a game then herded through the streets and being pelted with bricks? Having seats and toilets vandalised and groundstaff attacked?.................? Not for me thanks. Not since I grew up and had children and grandchildren to think about.

Brighton v Palace is the only fixture remaining where I will not take my wife or my grandchildren.

There is a vocal (I genuinely hope) minority who think I am wrong to find that unacceptable but I love the Amex experience and I love travelling the country to follow the Albion. I just won't go to Albion v Palace games because the pleasure takes second place to violent conflict.

Oh and "stand up if you hate palace" EVERY GAME? Oh please! Says it all about how sad and outdated the rivalry has become

Perfectly sums up the sutuation for me.

I enjoy the footballing rivalry but what goes on between the morons on both sides sickens me. I'll go to the Amex games but I won't go near Selhurst and that's as much, if not more, to do with the behaviour of our morons as theirs. My wife refuses to go to a Palace game because of the behaviour of a zoo-creature Albion fan in the McShane match. I despise him for that.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004

Well said that man. As a father, and Palace fan, I concur. Love to see you lose, wouldn't thump anyone to that end.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
i agree, we need our rivals.

And if they needed help i for one would give it to them. NOT my money, but if they were to do marches as we did in the late 90's / Fans United, i would do it.

Then disinfect myself thoroughly

:thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008

all this is never going to stop mate , never mind, guess you'll have to stay away then , that's a real shame don't you think ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here