Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have held off, now MY Opinions

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Ok, I have not really posted over the last few days, but I feel the need to rant a bit.

1. Coppell Going.
SC, stop pissing around and leave, stop trying to show loyalty by staying for the match because YOUR team may suffer. This does not wash, if this was important, you would see out your 1 year contract.

2. Mad jet ski.
Hypocrite. Pure and simple. You knew DK has an open door policy to approaches to managers and players (rightly so) and after PT turned you down, you took the easy option of a manager you KNEW you could get without too much fuss, who has been performing for his club. Poaching is Poaching, however it is done.

3. New manager
Please DK, don't poach somebody elses manager. I think as Loyalty is the order of the day, the loyalist person at the club over the last few years has been Bob Booker. Give the man a go. End this cycle of poaching and unrest. Take the moral high ground and let the others squable away.

4. The Players
You have done this on the pitch, you have achieved 90% of what has been done. Keep pushing. Hartlepool went up after losing a manager, we did last time adn we WILL do it again.

5. Falmer
Johny 2 jags, pull your thumb out of your arse and do the RIGHT thing.......

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
:clap: :clap:

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
I concur with most of that apart from:

2. Why is it rightly so that we have an open door policy with regards to players and managers. If DK had turned round and said to Reading, " I am sorry, but SC has a contract here at the club, we are doing nicely thankyou and we do not want you trying to upset that" then they would have had to look elsewhere as what happened at Hull. I know the Knight love in brigade is not going to like this, but I for 1 recons it smacks of weakness.

5. Why all this antagonism towards John Prescott. Supposedly the future of the club relies on his decision, but you would have thought with the amount of insults flying round, that he had turned it down already. Tell me how does " get your thumbs out of your arse" help matters?

Finally it now appears we are now in the same crap as we were before Coppell came ( ie all the speculation as to wether he would come or not) then all the crap about him signing a new contract, and now wether he will leave or not.

MAKE YOUR MIND UP AND f*** OFF. If you stay then great ( although I assume we will have the same shit in a years time when his contract runs out) otherwise just take yoyur personal angst away with you.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE FOR f*** SAKE

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
sherriffbart said:

MAKE YOUR MIND UP AND f*** OFF. If you stay then great ( although I assume we will have the same shit in a years time when his contract runs out) otherwise just take yoyur personal angst away with you.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE FOR f*** SAKE

YEEEAAAHHH

If i hear nothing today, positive or otherwise i am going to hunt Coppell down and get it out of him myself.
This situation cannot go on any longer.

f*** OFF AND LEAVE US TO WIN THE LEAGUE WILL YA

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
StaffsGull said:
Ok, I have not really posted over the last few days, but I feel the need to rant a bit.

12. Mad jet ski.
Hypocrite. Pure and simple. You knew DK has an open door policy to approaches to managers and players (rightly so) and after PT turned you down, you took the easy option of a manager you KNEW you could get without too much fuss, who has been performing for his club. Poaching is Poaching, however it is done.

Don't you mean that he would sell anything he could that the club has of value, to get money for is only concern - Falmer. From which he could make a lot of money!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Agree with them all except point 3.
Booker IS loyal but does not have the credentials to take the club forward, if we want to become a mid-table to playoff chalenging team then fine, as mediocracy is all he will be able to deliver.
His contact base must surely be limited and am concerned that he is 'too popular' with the players (a bit like Dean Wilkins) i.e. they will find it difficult to respect him as the boss.
No an experienced manager with contacts who is on a rolling contract and would not be being 'stolen'.
Step forward Mr Ian Dowie............

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: I have held off, now MY Opinions

Mullers said:
Don't you mean that he would sell anything he could that the club has of value, to get money for is only concern - Falmer. From which he could make a lot of money!

Without Falmer this club will disappear so you'd better get fully behind the efforts to achieve it. So f***ing what if DK makes money from it-do ManUre fans moan about the profitability of their club? Of course not because it allows them to keep winning.

Without DK there'd be no Albion today
Without Falmer there'll be no Albion tomorrow.

Wise up for f***'s sake.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
If i hear nothing today, positive or otherwise i am going to hunt Coppell down and get it out of him myself.
This situation cannot go on any longer.

you will hear something today

Last edited:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
sherriffbart said:
I concur with most of that apart from:

2. Why is it rightly so that we have an open door policy with regards to players and managers. If DK had turned round and said to Reading, " I am sorry, but SC has a contract here at the club, we are doing nicely thankyou and we do not want you trying to upset that" then they would have had to look elsewhere as what happened at Hull. I know the Knight love in brigade is not going to like this, but I for 1 recons it smacks of weakness.

It is rightly so because you cannot keep a manager, or player, who thinks he would be better off elsewhere.... Madjeski didn't let Pardew speak to WHU, and look where that got him. I applaud Dick Knight for allowing any member of staff the chance to improve themselves......

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Ok, in my defense.....

Sherriffbart -
Point 2. The open door policy is SO right. Imagine if your company had an approach to ask you to work for them, or somebody knew that a company was interested in employing you. You have a RIGHT to know about it and make your own decisions. A contract is not a prison sentance, it is a protection (i.e. we will be compensated). It also shows players and managers wanting to come here, it is worth a punt, and correct me if I am wrong, but we have done quite well on the player / manager quality front recently. I know it means we lose some, but eventually I believe it will pay dividends..... A honest club from top to bottom. I know what sort of company I would prefer to work for.

Point 5.
I admit to holding a bit of antagonism towards Mr Prescott, based on past performances and his political ability to pontificate (as with most politicians), and his never ending knack of making decisions against the grain ..... And lets be honest, I am pretty sure he doesn't read this board.....

Rougvie
Point 3.
I know we might get a manager from Oldham, but he is under contract at Oldham, who lets face it, could do without losing their manager easily as much as we could. It is not that I have a problem with legal approaches etc. (see point 2) however, I would like to see the club take a stance of loyalty. If they show they reward loyalty, maybe the others will think even harder before jumping ship to another club. Lets face it, at the moment, the way we run the club and the way we conduct ourseleves is the only thing that attracts players at the moment.

Barbs

Oct 3, 2003
"Take the moral high ground and let the others squable away."

Great Idea whilst we disappear down the table with an untried manager (Jeff Wood & Hinshelwood spring to mind)

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
But Dowie also has a clause that allows him to talk to other clubs, and on month to month contracts he can in theory be available with a few weeks.
At the end of the day Dowie would be bettering himself and why shouldnt he ?

just a wee point to make

Point 5:
The problem has been the fuss kicked up by the nimbies forcing the need for the application to be called in. Planning is a bastard of an issue and if procedures need to be followed, particularly when the project is novel and/or controversial.

I personally think it's a case of crossing the i's and dotting the t's. Oh, and it will actually be my boss (in his ministerial capacity) who decides on the application (these decisions are delegated). Maybe I should have a word...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Staffs you've really just repeated what we've all been saying (that's a statement not a criticism btw in case you think I'm just moaning that you haven't been paying attention).

Like Rougvie I can't argue with any of it except point 3. Bob Booker would be a disaster. He's a classic Number Two and he's far too close to the players. The fact he's been 'loyal' is irrelvant. Attila the Stockbroker has been 'loyal' but he'd be a crap manager too.

And stuff this 'moral high ground' nonsense too. I want us to have the best manager we can possibly get not someone who has already failed somewhere else. If that's Dowie fine. Sorry Oldham, you'll have to go and nick Altrincham's manager or something.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
As I have said so many times with Booker and Wilkins its all very well being the players best mate, ring leader when they go on away trips, and all round good laugh.
The dressing room would be brilliant for a certain group of players that like a laugh and a joke, but what about the quieter ones and the youngsters. And the ones who arent part of the 'banter' ?
Booker is a recipe for disaster

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here