Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I felt totally useless

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
For the first time in my life tonight i felt totally useless.

Tonight my wife fainted, and my reaction was basically unnaceptable as to what i should be doing to help in my opinion.

Unfortunately she picked up a bug i had last week and was sick, as she was being sick our 2 year old son was obviously a bit distraught and trying to get involved, i therefore for a matter of seconds shut the bathroom door and ushered him away so he couldnt see in.

In what seemed like only seconds i heard the crack of my wifes head as she crashed to the floor via the toilet, thankfully only from her knees...(no injuries other than a bruise coming on the jaw, thankfully)

When i rushed back in to the bathroom i found her on the floor wrapped around the toilet in a heep, eyes open with a stare that i swear will stay with me forever.

I really had no idea i am ashamed to say as to what i should do, i moved her away from the toilet and rolled her onto her side, this was a real task as ive never experienced dead weight as it were like that before.
Opened a window and then sort of panicked really as i didnt know what else to do....

Eventually she came arond after about 30 seconds, when she looked at me upon awakening, she looked at me like she hadnt seen me in her life before, another very scary moment, and then she proceeded to be sick again everywhere.

Things settled down after that, thanks to a bit of advice from a friend over the phone. For which i am eternally grateful.

I work at a hospital and should really know basic first aid, first thing tommorow im getting myself on a basic first aid course for such things.

I ADVICE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Scary stuff; I hope she is ok.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you are a being a bit harsh on yourself. Sounds to me like you made a good effort to at least get her in the recovery position.

BTW why are you posting on here your wife needs some TLC.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've got a slightly-better-than-basic first aid course (Scouts one, advanced level) done and I still wouldn't have a clue what to do in that case. You managed to get advice, and she came round, so no serious harm was done. But at least knowing what to do when someone is minorly cut/burnt/whatever is an advantage, so a first aid course can always be useful.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:( shit , f***ing hell mate

getting a first aid course is something i want to get at some point because the ammount of accidents i've seen and wanted to help with but can't left me feeling useless

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wife thankfully tucked up and asleep in bed now in case anyone is wondering !

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I also have to admit my attitude to an accident is to grab the ever-present mobile and dial 112 and get help from them. I get overly panicky sometimes, so if what happened to Marhsy happened to me, I'd phone 112...

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Went on a St Johns Ambulance first aid course about a year ago in order to become the first aider for my firm, who paid for me to go on it. The course was over a week and in that time I learnt so much. But the most important thing it teaches you is to control your emotions in an emergency. It teaches you to remain calm and have confidence in your own ability to deal with the situation in hand, whilst others around you may be panicking. I've put what I learnt to good use since, and I also would recommend anyone to do at least a basic course.Remember, even the most basic first aid knowledge could save a life, and that could be someone you love.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jeez Marshy that must have been scary. My wife's a nurse and she's taught me unofficially some basic first aid in case something like that happens to her. Being a nurse she's been able to give first aid several times when I've been out with her; once a bloke had a heart attack in a pub and another time a lad had been beaten up and a third time an old drunk guy had fallen over a wall. Always glad it's her doing it and not me! Hope your wife has no ill effects.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've done a first aid course and Ned is the current First Aider in his section of the factory.
It is something that will always come in handy.

I'm glad your wife is ok now Marshy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know how I'd react if my missus flaked out like that - I'd probably panic as well, but it sounds like you did the right thing Marshy, good work fella. Hope she's ok now - presumably she'll be having a check-up with a doctor ?

D

Deleted User X18H

Some one fainting is more worrying and stressful than it sounds Mrs HB&B fainted whilst having blood taken at the Royal Sussex I was in the room with her and a young docter who just paniced and ask ME what to do then suggest I go and get a nurse I thought he was some junior male nurse and was shocked to find he was a Dr Glad to hear Mrs Marsh seems to be ok.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
hey marshy,

have just topped my first aid up and find it really useful as i work in the sports industry where people are always getting injured. can get you and any other nscer on a course if you like?

hope everything is alright

:wave:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Blimey Marshy that sounds like a nasty experience, hope your Wife is feeling better today.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
virgirlo said:
hey marshy,

have just topped my first aid up and find it really useful as i work in the sports industry where people are always getting injured. can get you and any other nscer on a course if you like?

hope everything is alright

:wave:
i'd be intrested have done first aid courses in the past whilst working as a nightclub doorman but i feel i could do with having a refresher !

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Just done a first aid course (on Monday) as part of my FA Coaching Qualification, and to be honest there's not a huge amount more you could have done. If you think someone is unconcsious, the basic routine you can remember is Dr ABC:

D = Danger, first check that there is no other danger to the victim or yourself, like falling masonry or something (depends where you are I suppose)

R = Response, talk to them, shake them gently, see if they are conscious

A = Airway, tilt the head back to open their airway, check that there are no blockages in the mouth (teeth, tongue, vomit etc)

B = Breathing, once you've opened the victims airway, check to see if they are breathing

C = Circulation, check the pulse or other signs of life.

Then move them into the recovery position, lying on one side with their hand under their head, to give it some support. Obviously, if you suspect they might have spinal or neck injuries, don't roll them over.

That's about all you can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here