Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am going to enjoy the rest of the season - no matter what

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Call me stupid, or something worse, but I'm determined to enjoy our last 12 games, whether we go down or not. I hope the "McGhee Out", "Dick Knight Out" (and other ungrateful types who want quick fixes at the expense of a long term plan) can also relax a little and at least concentrate on giving the players 110% support. In a way the anger expressed on here is good - it shows a real passion for the club. However, it would be preferable if all that passion was channeled positively.

OK, we're struggling, but there's the germ of a decent side there - and some real prospects. Let's not forget that the younger lads are our future, and there's plenty of promise there (El Abd, Hinshelwood, Lynch, Gatting, Hammond, plus more coming through). In addition we have a couple of cracking Frenchmen, a very decent young Irish keeper, and an exceptionally skilful forward (CKR) who I'm convinced will come good soon. That's nine very decent players all under the age of 24.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather support a team which has been nurtured by the club over many years - not a group of players cobbled together from all over the place. At least I can still feel a real attachment for the club. I'm honestly exceptionally glad that I don't support (say) Chelsea or Arsenal. OK, I can enjoy watching them on TV, but as a Brighton fan I want to see local lads coming good. And I have to say, if Dean Wilkins' dream of a team 100% Sussex born ever comes about, that would be fantastic.

So, my message is - stop the bitching, and enjoy the rest of the season, come what may.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Top post Jim, and thanks for the balloons on Saturday which helped make my five year-old son's day at his first ever Albion match. It looked great from the old away stand. :clap: :bowdown:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Jim in the West said:
Call me stupid, or something worse, but I'm determined to enjoy our last 12 games, whether we go down or not. I hope the "McGhee Out", "Dick Knight Out" (and other ungrateful types who want quick fixes at the expense of a long term plan) can also relax a little and at least concentrate on giving the players 110% support. In a way the anger expressed on here is good - it shows a real passion for the club. However, it would be preferable if all that passion was channeled positively.

OK, we're struggling, but there's the germ of a decent side there - and some real prospects. Let's not forget that the younger lads are our future, and there's plenty of promise there (El Abd, Hinshelwood, Lynch, Gatting, Hammond, plus more coming through). In addition we have a couple of cracking Frenchmen, a very decent young Irish keeper, and an exceptionally skilful forward (CKR) who I'm convinced will come good soon. That's nine very decent players all under the age of 24.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather support a team which has been nurtured by the club over many years - not a group of players cobbled together from all over the place. At least I can still feel a real attachment for the club. I'm honestly exceptionally glad that I don't support (say) Chelsea or Arsenal. OK, I can enjoy watching them on TV, but as a Brighton fan I want to see local lads coming good. And I have to say, if Dean Wilkins' dream of a team 100% Sussex born ever comes about, that would be fantastic.

So, my message is - stop the bitching, and enjoy the rest of the season, come what may.

well said fella.:bowdown:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Richie Morris said:
I have thought for MONTHS we would go down.

NO point dwelling on it. Might as well have some fun along the way.

Ritchie, as you've known for so long why do you keep complaining ?

Best post on here for ages. We know we're going down, but frankly it doesn't matter. Saying we should sack the manager or the chairman because we cannot attract players to the club is just plain stupid. It's a very young team, who in one or two years time will be a great team. That is something to be excited about. When we're sitting in posh seats at Falmer, with a bit of money to spend and we're STILL not winning games, then you can have your moan and shout sack whoever you like, but for now, it just seems some of you should get a bit of perspective in your lives.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Jim in the West said:

Are you on drugs? :eek:

Dandyman

In London village.
Jim in the West said:

Jim, that's fine as far as it goes but can you tell the rest of us what MM's long term plan actually is ? IMO he is a decent enough man but he has nothing more to offer us barring a minor miracle. I and everyone else I know will continue to support the team as we do every week but is it not fair to ask what plans there are for next season ?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the short term, medium term and long term plans are clear enough.

Short term we have to make do with what we have got. MM is trying to find a permutation that works, but clearly as a team we are not good enough for this league. If that means going down, then relegated we shall be.

Medium term, I think our youth set up will really kick in. We have several youngsters who over the next season or two will hopefuuly really blossom. Plus a few others to come through.

Long term and this is where Falmer comes through, we will have the finances coming through to compete in the CCC, and as Reading have shown, to the Prem league.

MM pulled off a miracle last season. If it was a miracle then, it would even be a greater one with this current squad which is weaker.

Actually, although not happy with the prospect of relegation, I think our furure is very bright indeed. Think what it would be with a poor youth set, ni young ones coming through and a bunch of old has beens.

Thank DK and MM for this foresight.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: I am going to enjoy the rest of the season - no matter what

Dandyman said:
Jim, that's fine as far as it goes but can you tell the rest of us what MM's long term plan actually is ? IMO he is a decent enough man but he has nothing more to offer us barring a minor miracle. I and everyone else I know will continue to support the team as we do every week but is it not fair to ask what plans there are for next season ?
I think his long-term plan extremely evident. McGhee is not only looking at this season, but at the future as well.

Weed out the troublemakers and the shirkers (even the players McGhee himself brought in), play the players who clearly feel it a privilege to wear the stripes, and who will run through walls for the club. The vast majority of the players are prepared to do that for him - after all, everyone is in it together, and the team spirit is pretty damn fine.

New players will join soon enough, even if it too late to to avoid the drop this season. While I know it is not the policy to go down, and it would be extremely disappointing, it may be a blessing in disguise, and a re-grouping in the division below may do the players' confidence some good in a league I am certain we will do very well in.

However, one thing McGhee has NOT done is run out of ideas.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm going to SO enjoy watching us struggle to score once while conceding with WILD ABANDON.

That will be well good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here