Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Hydrogel screen protectors for mobile phones

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I have just had one fitted to my new phone and am interested in posters experience of them.

Are they better than tempered glass?

it was fitted by the shop as I didn’t trust myself to do it as I am sure I would have got bubbles in it.

Currently looks perfect and you can’t even see that it has been fitted, no discernible difference from the original screen.

Second question do the magsafe rear covers have enough magnetism to attach to a magnetic car phone holder properly?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I fitted those screen protectors not sure what design or make but you do get dog hairs with the bubbles so it makes it more interesting

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have just had one fitted to my new phone and am interested in posters experience of them.

Are they better than tempered glass?

it was fitted by the shop as I didn’t trust myself to do it as I am sure I would have got bubbles in it.

Currently looks perfect and you can’t even see that it has been fitted, no discernible difference from the original screen.

Second question do the magsafe rear covers have enough magnetism to attach to a magnetic car phone holder properly?
To be honest I've never had problems with glass laminate and it's saved the actual screen on more than one occasion. Would agree that applying yourself can be a bit nerve wracking avoiding any bubbles.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Literally never used a screen protector on any of my devices. I can never get them on right, so I stopped even trying years and years ago.

I've had loads of devices with screens in that time. My first smartphone was a Sony Ericsson P910i, and I've had various iPhones and iPads since then as well as a bunch of handheld games consoles.

It's at least 20 years since I stopped bothering with screen protectors, and I'm yet to damage a screen. So I figure I'd need an extraordinary run of bad luck for that decision to become the wrong one.

A "hydrogel" screen protector sounds pleasingly futuristic though, ngl.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Newer phones screens are bloody great these days. If you're nervous, a slightly raised edge case should suffice in case you drop it directly facing downwards.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Newer phones screens are bloody great these days. If you're nervous, a slightly raised edge case should suffice in case you drop it directly facing downwards.
First large screen phone I’ve bought, I will drop it!

I have also bought a back protector with Magsafe so it has a slightly raised edge, the hydrogel screen cover just seemed a good idea :shrug:

I keep my phones for at least 4 years

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I went with a a Quad Lock case on my previous mobile, having been advised they offer the best solution for mounting a mobile to a motorcycle. Won't look back - went with Quad Lock again for my current phone. Really good cases, plenty of options, and now got mounts for both motorcycle and car. Not yet gone all-in with their wireless charging solution for either, and I've not tried their magsafe solution either (too worried about it on the bike, and the twist-lock mount is great anyway).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
First large screen phone I’ve bought, I will drop it!

I have also bought a back protector with Magsafe so it has a slightly raised edge, the hydrogel screen cover just seemed a good idea :shrug:

I keep my phones for at least 4 years
Oooh magsafe is a game changer! Sounds like you've got all bases covered with the screen and back so better safe than sorry!

Would highly recommend treating yourself to an Anker Mag Go portable charger (maybe wait for Prime Day next month for a deal). Cannot imagine going back to wired charging ever again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here