Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hurt Locker

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Thinking of watching this tonight "on demand". Anyone here seen it? What did you think? Worth the £3.50 asking price? Have heard mixed reviews. Cheers.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
The style is like a documentary with a bit of human interest i found it too long and slightly boring,i did not feel it lived up to the hype, 6 out 10.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
I found it long and boring my son said it was the best film he had ever seen.

Bit touchy feely and more of the USA saves the world the only time the brits turn up they get shot.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Colossal film, very documentary-ish. Good insight into the mentality of EOD. The bit where the EOD grunts comes out of a battle where the "implied" SAS are all wiped out is a bit shite as we know that generally the reverse happens unless the US call in airstrikes, but apart from that, it's a good one. Doesn't glorify any aspect really.

1066 seagull

Sep 25, 2008
Brighton
I watched it at cinema and found it totally absorbing. Constantly makes you think disaster is going to strike at any point and captures what's involved in modern warfare and how it affects those on the front line. In my opinion (and I may well be ridiculed here) best war related movie since Apocalypse Now. It wont win best film at the Oscars though - that'll go to Avatar...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought it was great, from the slow-motion explosions from the start to the continuous building of paranoia on each mission as anyone holding a mobile or with the slightest watchful eye might be about to blow up everything around them. It wasn't a factual analysis of the entire war and didn't include every country's military representative. It is a gruellingly tense affair that spends little time on character, concentrating on a series of explosive scenes connected by surroundings alone, of dust and sand and fear and never knowing who to trust.
I really liked it, shakycam and all.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its a good film and stop this shit about it saving Brits it was nothing of the sort.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers chaps. Were now deciding between this and Wrong Turn 3.
I'm pointing towards Hurt Locker. But the Mrs likes a bit of horror, as do I, so she may win this round.

wahoo

Banned
Oct 11, 2007
just going to watch it at 9 pm myself ,hope its good ,
another goodun is district 9 , i thought it was quality

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i Read an article in the paper where a soldier claimed this movie is the closest thing to war

i have seen it and found it very tense and very good 8/10

Really? It is becoming quite well publicised that many veterans are critisizing the film due to it's lack of authenticity. Citing everything from the vintage of the uniforms to the chain of command to the terminology to the way the "soldiers" behave to the racist view the soldiers have about the citizens as they go about their business. Which pretty much covers everything I think.

Just another shite american film putting the slant that they are the dominant force in the entire world.

To be fair it is slightly entertaining. For first half hour.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Its a good film and stop this shit about it saving Brits it was nothing of the sort.

Um, that's exactly what it did. It's okay to like a film just because it entertained you US you don't have to make it out to be something it isn't. You shouldn't let your Americaphile leanings blur the factoids chap. :thumbsup:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Really? It is becoming quite well publicised that many veterans are critisizing the film due to it's lack of authenticity. Citiing everything from the vintage of the uniforms to the chain of command to the terminology to the way the "soldiers" behave to the racist view the soldiers have about the citizens as they go about their business. Which pretty much covers everything I think.

Just another shite american film putting the slant that they are the dominant force in the entire world.

To be fair it is slightly entertaining. For first half hour.

Obviously I haven't seen it, but, given this is about modern warfare, maybe there's bits the veterans just wouldn't get? Would be interested to hear current soldiers thoughts on it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Obviously I haven't seen it, but, given this is about modern warfare, maybe there's bits the veterans just wouldn't get? Would be interested to hear current soldiers thoughts on it.

Sorry? Veterans, not WW2 veterans.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The part where the US Soldiers finish the job that the Brits couldn't do would not have been out of place in Team America. Trust me, in a few years time this film will be viewed alongside Top Gun as far as authenticity is concerned.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good point.

It's funny though isn't it. When I hear the phrase war Veterans I think of World War veterans first. I suppose that reflects the lack of importance we put on modern troops. I am guilty as the next man chap.

To be fair tho, its not a bad film as entertainment goes, gotta be better than Wrong Turn 3 surely!!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
What is scary is that veteran obviously means old, and you can't possibly think of there being veterans from the Iraq war. But, then you remember it's been going on for 7 years. That's scary.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
To be fair tho, its not a bad film as entertainment goes, gotta be better than Wrong Turn 3 surely!!

Probably. But I fear Hurt Locker maybe one I end up watching on my own. She isn't too keen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here