Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hungary legend Puskas dies at 79

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Hungary and Real Madrid legend Ferenc Puskas has died at the age of 79.

Puskas, who was in hospital for six years with Alzheimer's disease, died in Budapest at 0600 GMT on Friday after suffering from a fever and pneumonia.

Puskas led Hungary's golden team of the early 1950s, before taking Spanish citizenship and becoming part of Real Madrid's all-conquering team.

Puskas scored 83 goals in 84 games for Hungary from 1945 to 1956 and later played for Spain in the 1962 World Cup.

After leading Hungary to the 1952 Olympic Gold medal, he was part of the Mighty Magyars who became the first overseas team to beat England on home soil in 1953, scoring twice in the 6-3 win at Wembley.

Hungary then rolled England over 7-1 in Budapest and were consequently installed as favourites for the 1954 World Cup in Switzerland.

But injury to Puskas severely hampered the Magyars and they lost in the final to Germany.

Puskas joined Real Madrid and, along with Alfredo di Stefano, was the inspiration behind a string of domestic and European titles.

He scored four goals in Real's 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in a remarkable final at Hampden Park in 1960, and won the European Cup three times with Madrid side.

In all, he scored 512 goals for Real in 528 matches and in 1962 he took out Spanish citizenship in time to play for his adopted country in the 1962 World Cup.

Puskas retired in 1967, going on to coach clubs in several countries, leading Greek side Panathanaikos to the European Cup final in 1971.

As the last millennium drew to a close, Puskas was voted the 20th century's fourth best player by the International Federation for Football History and Statistics.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did they ever publish findings on the effects of heading the old style football, which was more like a medicine ball when wet, and the number of footballers of the time who ended up with Alzheimer's? I believe there have been an above average number who ended up with Alzheimers, Danny Blanchflower being one.

Sad way to go ...RIP

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
83 goals in 84 games is a hell of a record - particularly for someone who wasn't an out and out striker.

Before my time sadly, I'd loved to have watch him play.

If he was fourth best, who's ahead of him? Pele and Maradona I suppose but who else?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:
83 goals in 84 games is a hell of a record - particularly for someone who wasn't an out and out striker.

If he was fourth best, who's ahead of him? Pele and Maradona I suppose but who else?

Di Stefano?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Gwylan said:

Theirs TV footage of him when they stuffed England at wembley, he just took the piss, a truly Amazing player. RIP.

Garrancha, Di stefano, Eusabio, R Charlton it's a long list ....

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Franks Wild Years said:
A Proper Legend.:angel: :clap:

Agree with that 100 %. He was a world superstar which is a term used far too often in modern days. R.I.P:angel:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If my memory serves me correctly I think that the Magyars were the first team to wear what we as kids classed as 'continental football boots' in this country when they played us at Wembley.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gwylan said:
[BIf he was fourth best, who's ahead of him? Pele and Maradona I suppose but who else? [/B]
Kerry Mayo

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Gwylan said:

Eusebio?

Gordan Banks should be up there though..

"Widely considered the greatest goalkeeper ever, Banks conceded only one goal -- a Eusebio penalty in the semi-final -- before the 1966 World Cup final, which England won. He will be forever remembered for a mind-blowing save off a header from Pele in the 1970 World Cup.

'That save from Pele's header was the best I ever made. I didn't have any idea how famous it would become. To start with, I didn't even realise I'd made it at all. I heard Pele shout 'goal' as he headed it, which was followed by a massive, almost deafening, roar. Even though I'd got a hand to it, I thought he must have scored,' Banks later said."

RIP Puskas. The man that made the beautiful game, beautiful.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The serious answer is, of course, this chap:
_822098_franz150.jpg

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Virgo's Haircut said:

After leading Hungary to the 1952 Olympic Gold medal, he was part of the Mighty Magyars who became the first overseas team to beat England on home soil in 1953, scoring twice in the 6-3 win at Wembley.

That fact is actually wrong. Hungary were not the first foreign side to beat us at home. We lost 2-0 to The republic of ireland in a freindly at goodison park in 1947. It was our first defeat at wembly though,yes. Where is that article from? A bad error by that Jornalist.

Sad news about Puskas though. Was argubly one of the top 10 greatest players of all time.

RIP:bowdown:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here