Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
So, a couple of friendlies under his belt (and a few key players missing) …what do the more astute/observational amongst us think of Fab’s likely tactics, formation, (in/out of possession) and favoured player selections etc.

What can we begin to assume (obv still WIP) from what we’ve seen thus far, about what he’ll expect from our players? How successful do we think it’ll prove in the PL and can we be optimistic?

There’s already been plenty of conv about his chosen tactics (previously) at St Pauli and how they ‘might’ translate to us, but have there been any surprises thus far, have we learnt anything new about how we’re likely to play, very interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The two centre backs seem fairly static but there is an incredible amount of movement and positions swapping ahead of them.

Like Potterball, we see the formation changing and evolving as the match passes.

However, we did seem exposed with just two central defenders a few times when the wingbacks were missing.

Milner will be a central midfielder for us this season for sure. But who knows who else will be at this point?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The two centre backs seem fairly static but there is an incredible amount of movement and positions swapping ahead of them.

However, we did seem exposed with just two central defenders a few times when the wingbacks were missing.
Everton will be the ACID test. How to combat Dyche's anti-football? If we can crack that one, then the season's looking very bright indeed

I’ll be honest, there were a number of times the pessimist in me was thinking, we’ll get punished big time by the stronger teams if we’re this aggressive and leave ourselves so exposed…but the optimist in me thinks it ‘could’ve’ been quite effective against lower opposition that are harder to break down in the past. 🤞🏻

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’ll be honest, there were a number of times the pessimist in me was thinking, we’ll get punished big time by the stronger teams if we’re this aggressive and leave ourselves so exposed…but the optimist in me thinks it ‘could’ve’ been quite effective against lower opposition that are harder to break down in the past. 🤞🏻
We certainly need to work on our defensive game. We’ve seemed very open at times.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think we are very limited tactically this season. The only likely results being wins, draws or defeats. Even more limited on the goals front with the likely outcome being that we will either score or concede during a match.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I think we are very limited tactically this season. The only likely results being wins, draws or defeats. Even more limited on the goals front with the likely outcome being that we will either score or concede during a match.

While largely in agreement with most of what you say, I would suggest it’s possible that in extreme circumstances we could score, and/or concede.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s looking likely that most of our goals are going to come between kick off and full time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Even with a fully fit squad the jury is out for me with this young inexperienced coach. Something doesn't sit right with me. Some of our defending especially in wide ares is a major concern.
Steele shouldn't be anywhere near being our 2nd choice keeper.. Give that to Rushworth. Sima looks awful.
On the flip side some of the defending by both Japanese teams were also awful

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Even with a fully fit squad the jury is out for me with this young inexperienced coach. Something doesn't sit right with me. Some of our defending especially in wide ares is a major concern.
Steele shouldn't be anywhere near being our 2nd choice keeper.. Give that to Rushworth. Sima looks awful.
On the flip side some of the defending by both Japanese teams were also awful
Young, yes, but you do realise he's got about eight years of coaching experience, right? Which is more than a lot of other people in his position?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not if you ask @Tom Hark Preston Park

#NilNilWrittenAllOverIt

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Im going to reserve any judgement until we have most or all of the following back in the team... Dunk, Pervis, Bart, Pedro, Ferguson, Wieffer, Baleba, Enciso, Gross, and March. We have a glut of young talent in Japan, but a lot of the more experienced players are not there (or not currently fit enough to play).

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

Like Potterball, we see the formation changing and evolving as the match passes.

Milner will be a central midfielder for us this season for sure. But who knows who else will be at this point?
I agree about Milner. He has certainly shown how to anchor the midfield. I have no idea how to chose among the many others who could do a job. We also have an embarrassment of wingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here