Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to watch football and get more enjoyment out of?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I’ve watched the game for a long time now. As I’ve aged it’s true I’ve become disenfranchised with how the games gone, worn down by endless tampering with rules, VAR, the greed, corruption, cheating and sheer inequality of it all. Yet still come back for more. Hopeless isn’t it?! :lolol:

But whilst watching the Euros I’m wondering if the manner in which I watch is perhaps wrong?

So let’s throw it out there: how do you “watch” games, and for benefit of this thread let’s say on television rather than in flesh ie you’re only able to see what the broadcaster shows (as opposed to being in attendance)

For example, do you follow the ball (which is what I do pretty much!)? Do you decide to follow a player each game like your very own personal player-cam? Look about for a mini-battle eg between a defender and attacker? Track formation/shape? Etc. And do you do any pre match “research/scouting” to understand what the opponents are likely to do etc? Prepare et al as Mickey used to say!

In summary, I want to enjoy watching England more (and football in general). How can I do this (expectations and being an old curmudgeon a side!)? All help and advice gratefully received, and thanking thee in advance :)

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I seem to get bored very quickly during games these days, for pretty much all the reasons you stated, but my son does small bets on a game where lots of things are required to happen.
He sends me the slip and I spend the game watching for them to come in.
A bit like bingo I suppose 😅 I'm nearly that age anyway.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Its why other than Brighton I prefer to watch non league, its quick and direct, and everyone isn't trying to play the same tactic. With different play styles, if people do play passing football really well, they stand out, and have to do it really well. Individual brilliance also stands out massively, and it can be appreciated. I've really enjoyed this euros, especially the lesser nations, with more high press exciting football. England have been pretty dull, and I think its slightly symptomatic of the premier league, everyone doing a Pep Guardiola impression, as much maligned teams like Stoke were, they added a different dimension to the league, a difficult place to go where people kicked the shit out of you. You just don't have that variable anymore.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Its why other than Brighton I prefer to watch non league, its quick and direct, and everyone isn't trying to play the same tactic. With different play styles, if people do play passing football really well, they stand out, and have to do it really well. Individual brilliance also stands out massively, and it can be appreciated. I've really enjoyed this euros, especially the lesser nations, with more high press exciting football. England have been pretty dull, and I think its slightly symptomatic of the premier league, everyone doing a Pep Guardiola impression, as much maligned teams like Stoke were, they added a different dimension to the league, a difficult place to go where people kicked the shit out of you. You just don't have that variable anymore.
And the pitch. They were moaning about the state of the pitch the other night - yet it looked in far better condition than most pitches used to, especially in January onwards. Almost all the PL pitches are the same size as well. That lack of variety and ability to play in all conditions has been sacrificed on the altar of perfection. Which takes away a bit of the excitement.

And we also have this wonderful TV coverage instead of the feeling of watching a game in Europe we used to get with all the fuzziness and so on. You could be anywhere now.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For example, do you follow the ball (which is what I do pretty much!)?

Good luck with that, watching games on TV is rubbish. It's about time the TV companies realised that people have tuned in to watch the game, which is the action going on, on the pitch. We do not want to cut away every few minutes or so, seeing close up of fans in the stands.

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
If a Brighton player is playing at the Euro's i'm tending to focus on them, their movement etc...i find it makes the game more engrossing. I can't help with enjoying watching England as we seem to be playing this low risk possession game reminiscent of Potter at it's worst.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I generally follow the ball but do try to focus on other aspects. How are the forwards pressing the back line, how are the defenders trying to break the opposition lines into midfield, what are the matchups in central midfield. This can give a more interesting view of what could be happening in a game.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I’ve watched the game for a long time now. As I’ve aged it’s true I’ve become disenfranchised with how the games gone, worn down by endless tampering with rules, VAR, the greed, corruption, cheating and sheer inequality of it all. Yet still come back for more. Hopeless isn’t it?! :lolol:

But whilst watching the Euros I’m wondering if the manner in which I watch is perhaps wrong?

So let’s throw it out there: how do you “watch” games, and for benefit of this thread let’s say on television rather than in flesh ie you’re only able to see what the broadcaster shows (as opposed to being in attendance)

For example, do you follow the ball (which is what I do pretty much!)? Do you decide to follow a player each game like your very own personal player-cam? Look about for a mini-battle eg between a defender and attacker? Track formation/shape? Etc. And do you do any pre match “research/scouting” to understand what the opponents are likely to do etc? Prepare et al as Mickey used to say!

In summary, I want to enjoy watching England more (and football in general). How can I do this (expectations and being an old curmudgeon a side!)? All help and advice gratefully received, and thanking thee in advance :)
Biggest off putting thing for me is 'winning' fouls. There's like a code that everyone agrees with that a touch means you can go down. It's spoilt top flight football as there are not battles.

I have to say, latter stage De Zerbi football was horrible. The worst type. Slow possession for its own sake. Stats and recyclingg the ball preferred to actual action. I like fast direct or really quick passing attacking football. Peak De Zerbi is the best I've ever seen.

I can't get emotional about watching any football on the TV. You dont get any insight into the match ot how good players are without seeing them and what they do in the flesh. When I'm trying to figure out a team or a player I'll take the advice or any old geezer who's watched his teams loads of times in the flesh over any social media hipster or analyst.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Find myself increasingly 'meh' about watching neutral matches on TV (although the Euros have been quite fun so far - well, apart from a certain nation..). It's a very different story with the mighty BHA though, where I'm kicking every ball...

I don't think the way matches are broadcast on TV helps very much. I used to enjoy watching 'extended' highlights of games in the old days of MOTD and the Big Match - where you might get a good 20-25 mins of the main game, giving you time to get into it. 10 mins (or less) per match because they want to show every game just doesn't work - you have no idea which team has been on top, which players are playing well, etc.

At the other end of the scale, you have full televised matches. Let's face it, a lot of these when your team are not involved are often quite boring for long periods. And it also takes up a lot of your time. I've sometimes thought 'well that was a waste of a Sunday afternoon' after watching some bore fest between two teams I don't care about.

papachris

These days with international tournaments I tend to support albion players rather than England team for instance.
As for watching an individual match I can enjoy good goals by whoever they are scored. Been plenty already in the euros including the Danish goal yesterday.
Also enjoy skilful play, for instance there was one occasion the other night when the Scots with short one touch passing from a tricky position in defence to quickly move into the attack

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
If a Brighton player is playing at the Euro's i'm tending to focus on them, their movement etc...i find it makes the game more engrossing. I can't help with enjoying watching England as we seem to be playing this low risk possession game reminiscent of Potter at it's worst.

I agree with all but your last comment. I confess to getting pretty pissed off with so many comments about watching Southgate’s England is like watching Potterball. It’s complete and utter rubbish imo and a complete re writing of Potter’s time here. We were NEVER playing to not get beat under Potter and he had more tactical nous in his sucking teeth than Southgate has in his body. We went toe to toe with the top six under Potter, it may not have often worked but we never played like Southgate’s England

I know I am wasting my time with the above but I just wanted to say it :smile:

In answer to the OP, I will watch anything Albion with enthusiasm but it has to be something special for me not to lose interest in pretty well every other game that does not have an Albion interest. If we need a team to win or lose to boost Albion’s chances of achieving a position or Europe I am glued to the game.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Good luck with that, watching games on TV is rubbish. It's about time the TV companies realised that people have tuned in to watch the game, which is the action going on, on the pitch. We do not want to cut away every few minutes or so, seeing close up of fans in the stands.
erm, yeah...

1718983460174.png

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We were NEVER playing to not get beat under Potter and he had more tactical nous in his sucking teeth than Southgate has in his body.
The first bit isn’t true, he did play like that when required, but I agree he had more tactical nous than Southgate, but I don’t think there is much difference between the play style, both look to dictate the tempo, and slow things down, which is what a lot of the Premier League is trying to do now.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Watching on TV is rubbish.
Following the ball is all they do, when they're not cutting away to fans, or managers, or a 'top' player making a funny face.
I need to see the runs off the ball, the shifting shapes far from the current action, the individual battles with no ball in sight.
If there was a way to have a full pitch view on one screen, a selectable player cam on another and the broadcast on the third that might suffice.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
The first bit isn’t true, he did play like that when required, but I agree he had more tactical nous than Southgate, but I don’t think there is much difference between the play style, both look to dictate the tempo, and slow things down, which is what a lot of the Premier League is trying to do now.

We played intricate one touch football or at least tried to, England did not do that and seldom do, I am struggling to remember games where we looked anywhere near as clueless as what I was watching last night, and that’s without taking into account the quality of players available to Potter in comparison to Southgate.

Potter would 100% have changed things in game last night as he often did and you could generally see the improvement straight away. Perhaps you could tell me when Southgate has done this…just once will do. I am talking about tactical changes not bringing on subs and carrying on the same way.

The hate for Potter from some on here and complete refusal to accept there was anything good about his tenure is quite sad imo. This was happening before he turned into a shit headed Judas too.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
TV v Being there is the problem for me.

This is the first tournament I've not gone to since I first started watching England away in 2006, and I feel very detached from it. When you go to these tournaments you kind of get blown away by the whole event and wrapped up in it. It is very exciting and I love it. But sitting down and watching at home I find quite depressing. Not least because live you're generally surrounded by hard core England fans who love their country and want us to do well. Feels like when you watch on telly and discuss the England team with workmates everyone just wants to run the team down. I know they've been disappointing by the way but they are still our team and I struggle with people having a go at them to the same level as they do. When you're out there you don't suffer that, it's just fun fun fun until we go out.

Not sure that answers your question, but there it is!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Just watch Sweden ten times a year and most other football will be entertaining.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I haven't got time to answer properly but just wanted to say that this is a great thread idea!

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
Watching on TV is rubbish.
Following the ball is all they do, when they're not cutting away to fans, or managers, or a 'top' player making a funny face.
I need to see the runs off the ball, the shifting shapes far from the current action, the individual battles with no ball in sight.
If there was a way to have a full pitch view on one screen, a selectable player cam on another and the broadcast on the third that might suffice.
In order to be able to see the whole pitch they'd have to position the camera lengthwise looking from goal to goal, whereupon they would be able to fit more of the field into the shot.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Simply, betting. If you’re in control it makes football great fun. Especially Gillette soccer Saturday for example seeing the goals fly in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here