Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to get to Madejski from Reading?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
This will be my first trip to the Madejski and will be travelling by train. What transport is there between the station and the wigwearer stadium?

Also will there be many fans travelling from Croydon through Clapham rather than the Paddington route?

Also do the Reading pondlife cause problems?

Lastly shall we sing 'Are u Brighton in disguise'?

Last edited:

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are buses that go directly to the stadium. Turn right when you leave the station, the bus stop is on the other side of the forecourt. They're not a particularly nasty lot - the Reading fans, so you should be alright.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
There is a bus from the station, but from what I remember it was only about £6 in a cab and meant more time in the pub.

On the Friday night game there were no real problems between the 2 sets of fans, I think Brighton did a bit of DIY work on the Wetherspoons in the centre. The year before there was a bit of a stand off, but Reading were happy to hide behind the police and the OB cleared the main pub that Brighton were in and put everyone on trains home. So no real problems.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Thanks most helpful.

Will be with my two boys (9 & 11) so need to know whether to hit BK or McDs in the town or are there burger places at the Madwigski Stadium.

The usual mobile burger vans are everywhere outside, they're not bad, a step up from Withdean. The catering inside the ground is terribly overpriced crap.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Is the train from Calpham Junction likely to be jam packed?

Will be interesting when the Reading fans board from Bracknell onwards.

So no probs with my boys wearing shirts?

Are you a nice man? Do you cause problems yourself? Do you like a bloody good pint or several of bitter as opposed to fizzy chemical crap (barring Budvar, proper Hungarian stuff)?

If so I heartily recommend the Hobgoblin on Broad Street.

As for transport, I live about 15 minutes walk from the ground so it would be easy for me.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Reading Stockport..ta for info but please read back.

I will be with my two sons aged 11 and 9.

Much as I would love a pint of Tanglefoot or Old Peculiar not to mention Hoegarrden (sp) I think a strawberry milkshake will be the chosen beverage.

See you at the game

PM

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Last year a fair number of Albion fans met up at the Swan which is just the other side of the motorway from the Mad Stad.

It is about 15 mins walk from the stadium but it did have a beer garden (so your boys can have pop & crisps - before or after the burger) and you can enjoy a pint.

Yorkie said:
Last year a fair number of Albion fans met up at the Swan which is just the other side of the motorway from the Mad Stad.

It is about 15 mins walk from the stadium but it did have a beer garden (so your boys can have pop & crisps - before or after the burger) and you can enjoy a pint.

The Swan is run by Vic and Jenny, fans of the greatest rugby team in the world! Their huge beast Jumbo is London Irish's mascot but don't worry if it lumbers into your vicinity, it's trained only to bite Harlequins supporters.

http://www.pub-explorer.com/olpg/the-swan-inn/reading/

Last edited:

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Yorkie said:

Word of warning, the Swan is tiny and it's 'beer garden' is even smaller - the 15 minute walk is also via J11 on the M4.

If you're driving and want to avoid the town centre I recommend The Black Boy at Shinfield - it welcomes families and serves food.

Black Boy Link

Map

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here