Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How productive is the academy?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In comparison to other Category 1 academies in England?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
A simple search found this. Suspect it’s another table we’ll be shooting up in the coming years - still relatively early days

Suppose it depends what productive means too. I'd say bringing through a 1st team talent regularly is very productive but doesn't get recognised as profitable (unless the are reverse engineering profit for not having to but a lewis Dunk or solly march, or (hopefully) Jack Hinch).

Not sure how much of a hotbed of local talent, relatively affluent and semi rural Sussex is over going to be.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
What counts as an academy product? What age do they have to have joined in order to count as one of ours?

Hinshelwood has been here since he was a kiddo.

White, Sanchez and Ferguson for example since about 16-17.

Or someone like Gyokeres who joined at I think 19 but played in our academy to start with?

Reactions: SAC

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suppose it depends what productive means too. I'd say bringing through a 1st team talent regularly is very productive but doesn't get recognised as profitable (unless the are reverse engineering profit for not having to but a lewis Dunk or solly march, or (hopefully) Jack Hinch).

Not sure how much of a hotbed of local talent, relatively affluent and semi rural Sussex is over going to be.
Definitely…..the academy isn’t there simply to produce players for us either - ethos is very much on producing professional players. There’s a whole series of financial incentives for the club when the kids end up playing elsewhere (based on level, appearances etc). Our catchment area is a bit limited too (not much to the South :smile: ).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
95T3A simple search found this. Suspect it’s another table we’ll be shooting up in the coming years - still relatively early days

Thanks, that puts us 12th in England, in terms of fees received for players. But it was more numbers going on to have a Pro career that was interesting me, whether we got a fee or not. I mean, are we getting more of our lads into a Pro footballer job than others? Aston Villa selling Grealish for a shed load is all well and good, but does it doesn't tell me much about the quality of their academy, if he is the only one.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What counts as an academy product? What age do they have to have joined in order to count as one of ours?

Hinshelwood has been here since he was a kiddo.

White, Sanchez and Ferguson for example since about 16-17.

Or someone like Gyokeres who joined at I think 19 but played in our academy to start with?
Include anyone that didn't have a Pro contract before they came here, so not Alzate, Gyokeres, etc. but yes to Sarmiento, Sanchez, White

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sarmiento was a professional at Benfica.
My mistake, am I right he never played a first team game before coming here though?
Anyway, he will have to go down as academy assisted, rather academy produced.
Any further input on how our academy compares AZ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
My mistake, am I right he never played a first team game before coming here though?
Anyway, he will have to go down as academy assisted, rather academy produced.
Any further input on how our academy compares AZ?
Correct, Sarmiento never made a first team appearance at Benfica.

I could give you chapter and verse about Albion's academy over the years but I wouldn't be able to compare it to other academies. In England, Chelsea and Man City have to be up there in the last few years though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Correct, Sarmiento never made a first team appearance at Benfica.

I could give you chapter and verse about Albion's academy over the years but I wouldn't be able to compare it to other academies. In England, Chelsea and Man City have to be up there in the last few years though.
I found this from 21/22, not sure I agree with the criteria, but had us 28th back then, I think, I can't enlarge on my phone.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

This! Also half the catchment area is the English Channel. It’s only for u15/16 that they can really cast the net far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here