Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Much Has D.k. Got Brighton In Debt?

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
does anyone know how much brighton are in debt after all the transfers and the rent of withdean and all the money put into falmer plus players wages???
because i have to admit i am personally quite worried but im sure we'll be fine!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Should the question not be, how much more debt would Brighton be in if not for DK?

Personally I think he should run up massive debt paying players that don't give a toss about the club, and their agents, far more money than they're worth.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
maybe reword that question - to how much has Dick and the board have put into the club to try and keep debts manageable in the circumstances.

Plus the astute sales of Zamora, Virgo etc!

.....although I fail to see why it's anyone's business or why they'd need to know??

What's it to you - you either go to the games or you don't, and regardless of how a club balances their books. Do you ask a carnie how they spend the money when you have a go on the roundabout, or a cinema once you go see a film??

I suppose you must never go to see any bands or buy any music, since half the buggers only stick the money in their veins or up their noses!

I know, it's an OUTRAGE :rant:

...Probably not as much as A****R and B****** got us in to in reply to the first bit of the question.

RE: transfers. The program from yesterday's game gave a breakdown of the comings and goings which by my calculation show that we received £435K for players sold and have spent £355K plus whatever the "undisclosed sum" for Thomson was. Any rumours or theories on what this figure may have been. IMHO whatever it was I have a gut feeling that it was money well spent, ditto with Murray.

....However if we factor in Barry Lloyds expenses for whizzing all over the place tracking players things might not look so sound!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
does anyone know how much brighton are in debt after all the transfers and the rent of withdean and all the money put into falmer plus players wages???
because i have to admit i am personally quite worried but im sure we'll be fine!

Yeah, fancy spending money on stadiums and players! How inappropriate for a football club!

How can you be "sure we'll be fine" and "worried" at the same time?

Most of the "debt" that appears in the accounts consists of interest-free loans made by the directors.

Some people might call those loans "investment", especially since there is little prospect of the directors being paid back, unless a Mr Big came in and agreed to do so, in which case the loans would be converted to shares, which could then be sold to Mr Big.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. But I hope its a compliment to DK.

He has been trying to balance the books and made himself quite unpopular because of 'being tight' he has secured Falmer for us (our long term future) so has had to sell players which has made him unpopular. He's a brighton fan, I bet in a way he'd much rather get a loan from a bank and go out spending and have a couple of good seasons. But the reality is, that isn't what we should do. He has managed this clubs money tremendously well from the looks of it. I'm glad hes keeping us on the right side, money-wise. And, of course, this does come as a hit to the playing squad.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
.....although I fail to see why it's anyone's business or why they'd need to know??

What's it to you - you either go to the games or you don't, and regardless of how a club balances their books. Do you ask a carnie how they spend the money when you have a go on the roundabout, or a cinema once you go see a film??

I suppose you must never go to see any bands or buy any music, since half the buggers only stick the money in their veins or up their noses!

I know, it's an OUTRAGE :rant:

Embarrassing comment - the way OUR club is run, not just on the pitch but as a business, is of vital importance to anyone who is a fan.

As a regular poster on here and someone I've no doubt is a 'true' fan this is probably the daftest post you've ever made!

Embarrassing comment - the way OUR club is run, not just on the pitch but as a business, is of vital importance to anyone who is a fan.

As a regular poster on here and someone I've no doubt is a 'true' fan this is probably the daftest post you've ever made!

Well since apparently the books are open for anyone to see, and we at least 'suspect' that DK took the club on in the first place with good intention, and that after years of wrangling and political fight and petitions and and and.... we finally got the go ahead for a freakin' STADIUM, my daft post is NOTHING to the daft stuff that people who have done far less than Knight (and would only ever be spectators in the matters of BHAFC), seem to feel the need to ask.

Once we have landed, got a ground that's not tin-pot and rented, and the club exists with some assets - then I might care to wonder about how The Albion's finances are run, because by then we might be worried about becoming a Leeds, overextended and unredeemable.

Right now it seems we are still clambering up the tenuous threads that we'd been hung out to dry by some ten years ago. Let's GET some finances to worry about first, then worry about that.

We know that there's been some transfer activity around the club, and we already know that it's been low-risk, financially. How it pans out on the field we CAN actually help along by supporting there.

Imagine that!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

It is not a daft post at all.

Yes, it is of importance to us because we like to know, (I'm not sure I'd understand it all, even if I did know!), but we don't have a right to know any more about the club's financial business than is shown on the annual accounts.

Like it or not, anything else is only the business of the board and shareholders.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Once we have landed, got a ground that's not tin-pot and rented, and the club exists with some assets - then I might care to wonder about how The Albion's finances are run, because by then we might be worried about becoming a Leeds, overextended and unredeemable.

Right now it seems we are still clambering up the tenuous threads that we'd been hung out to dry by some ten years ago. Let's GET some finances to worry about first, then worry about that.

We know that there's been some transfer activity around the club, and we already know that it's been low-risk, financially. How it pans out on the field we CAN actually help along by supporting there.

Imagine that!

Errrrr.............to get that ground, gain any form of assets and have a team to support obviously depends on how the club is financially run NOW not in 5 or 10 years time!

The original poster asked a fairly simple question about the clubs debt/ finances - rather than have a dig why not point him in the right direction to find out what he wants to know?

Perhaps he's a young fan or not as 'clever' as you and doesn't know where to look?

The one thing you are correct about is supporting the team!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Errrrr.............to get that ground, gain any form of assets and have a team to support obviously depends on how the club is financially run NOW not in 5 or 10 years time!

The original poster asked a fairly simple question about the clubs debt/ finances - rather than have a dig why not point him in the right direction to find out what he wants to know?

Perhaps he's a young fan or not as 'clever' as you and doesn't know where to look?

The one thing you are correct about is supporting the team!

The one thing the original poster got wrong was the title of post that assumes that DK has got the club into debt. A strange accusation based on no knowledge of the facts.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
The one thing the original poster got wrong was the title of post that assumes that DK has got the club into debt. A strange accusation based on no knowledge of the facts.

But the club is in debt - it may well be to the directors but nonetheless it is in debt!

As I said (and giving the poster the benefit of the doubt) perhaps he is a youngster or someone who doesnt understand whats going on (for whatever reason!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here