Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many penalites have we MISSED this season?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
simple question as i am, frankly, too bone idle to try and work it out for myself and have therefore from memory plucked the figure of FIVE from the air

peterborough
southampton
fc united
huddersfield
brentford

any more for any more?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Pretty sure I read somewhere we have scored 4 and missed 6.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Radio Sussex said on the commentary that was the 6th miss last night. Johnny Crumplin said that Barnes looked composed and not pressured it was just a poor kick to the keepers strongest side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Murray v orient saved (jpt)
Bennett v Peterborough saved (L1)
Barnes v Peterborough scored (L1)
Barnes v Exeter scored (L1)
Murray v Woking scored (FA SO)
Sparrow v Woking scored (FA SO)

Battipiedi v Woking missed (FA SO)
Baz v Woking scored (FA SO)

Wood v Bristol Rovers scored (L1)

Wood v Southampton saved (L1)
Bennett v FC United saved (FA)
Murray v Huddersfield saved (L1)

Barnes v Portsmouth scored (FA)
Barnes v Brentford saved (L1)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
3 points dropped as a result of those missed penalties.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Five isn't it? We were winning at Huddersfield and went on to lose, and we drew at Saints instead of winning.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As Acker points out, we have only actually MISSED 1, and that was in the cup. Referring to those on target as "Saved" gives more (due) credit to the keepers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Five isn't it? We were winning at Huddersfield and went on to lose, and we drew at Saints instead of winning.

Wasn't the miss at Huddersfield at 0-0? We then went on to score a goal, which we may not have been pushing for if we'd alreday been 1 up, so you can't really claim for sure that cost points.

The Saints game, given how the game went, I feel that we'd still not have won even if Wood had scored. I'm aware that sounds a little Irish, but I stand by it...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know what you mean.

So delighted were we to come away with a draw at Stains after the intial 45min battering (thanks to Gus reducing us to ten men by playing Batti :angry:) and it still being 0-0 that we actually forgot we missed a penalty when the game finished!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its getting to the point where I'd rather we were awarded a corner instead.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Its getting to the point where I'd rather we were awarded a corner instead.

I screamed last night "DONT GIVE US A PENALTY!" after the miss, the ref heard and awarded a goal kick :angry:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

When judging how many points a missed penalty has cost us you have a decision to make; do you get into the murky area of playing the game hypothetically (an obviously dangerous tactic given the often unpredictability of how matches will go), or do you leave everything else in the game as it was and just add on the goal for the missed penalty?

An argument can be made that the penalty v southampton would have given us 3 points instead of 1, and a converted penalty at huddersfield would have given us 3 instead of none. You could also hypothetically play both games out and say perhaps southampton would have pushed forward with more abandon if they were already losing, that they perhaps held back because they didn't want to lose the point they were protecting, so perhaps if we had scored, they would have got one, or possibly two with momentum and a home crowd behind. You could also argue that being an away team, Brighton may have sat back to defend the one/two goal lead, and with nothing to lose, Hudderfield throw everything at us, they eventually get one (as looking back we know they were able to), and with that success they gain more momentum and push on for a second. Seeing our two goal lead disappear we panic a little, we try to get back into the game, but at this point we're too set in the defensive mind frame, and Huddersfield have so much momentum, the home crowd on their side, we can't keep hold of he ball, they pressure us and so on, and perhaps they would have made it 3. 2-0 is often regarded as a dangerous lead to have for this reason. Do you sit back and risk that happening, or do you push on for a third? Away from home most teams are likely to sit back on a 2-0. Lets not forget we faced huddersfield on the back of a winless run in the league, coming after we had a midweek cup game v fc united, huddersfield were rested having had two weeks off. The elements were there for a game that doesn't follow expected paths.

Both hypothetical playings of the those games are realistic, fit with what happens in football regularly, so which do you take as right?

In conclusion, the penalties cost us anywhere from -1 pt (had scoring led to us losing v southampton) to 5 points (had they resulted in victories v southampton and huddersfield)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here