Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many England starting XI spots are up for grabs?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ignore the formation - I appreciate that can vary - but I make it just the two spots up for grabs, assuming Shaw isn't available ...

- Centre-back. Probably Maguire's if he's fit, but if he's not...
- Midfield. Gallagher probably favourite there.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 09.45.18.png

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Mainoo should be nailed on to be the other centre midfielder with Wharton as his back up - both are special talents.

Personally I would pick Branthwaite as the other centre back but after last night it doesn't look it will be him so expect to see Maguire start there with Guehi as the next man in.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
I think we're going to see more Dunk than we expect. He seems to be getting picked in the starting line-up now, I'd even go as far to say he'll start, whether Maguire is fit or not.
I'm sure he would rightly think otherwise, but I almost don't want Dunk to start. I wouldn't deal well with the shit he would undoubtedly get from the country if he made a big mistake in a major tournament!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mainoo should be nailed on to be the other centre midfielder with Wharton as his back up - both are special talents.

Personally I would pick Branthwaite as the other centre back but after last night it doesn't look it will be him so expect to see Maguire start there with Guehi as the next man in.
Agree on Mainoo - he looks exceptional and really shone when he had his last England cameo. Gallagher seems to be a bit of a favourite of Southgate though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Agree on Mainoo - he looks exceptional and really shone when he had his last England cameo. Gallagher seems to be a bit of a favourite of Southgate though.
I'm hoping Mainoo's performance in a big game in the FA Cup final will tip it in his favour. As you say, he is exceptional, plays with ridiculous maturity for a 19 year old - the same as Wharton does actually.

Jul 20, 2003

Gallagher will probably pick up a couple of yellows in the group stages and get replaced with a better, younger option.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm sure he would rightly think otherwise, but I almost don't want Dunk to start. I wouldn't deal well with the shit he would undoubtedly get from the country if he made a big mistake in a major tournament!

Deep breath and stand tall

Dunky has done enough for us to earn our trust.

There's no centre back who's never made a mistake leading to a goal

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ignore the formation - I appreciate that can vary - but I make it just the two spots up for grabs, assuming Shaw isn't available ...

- Centre-back. Probably Maguire's if he's fit, but if he's not...
- Midfield. Gallagher probably favourite there.

View attachment 183448
This whole thing assumes no new injuries of course.

But yes, that all looks likely

Maguire will come into the defence if fit. If not, shoot out between our other 3 options. My guess is Guehi gets the nod

Gallagher will edge out Alexander Arnold for the other midfield spot I would guess. Options like Mainoo and Wharton only likely from the bench or if we're lucky enough to have a dead rubber

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If Southgate is taking Dunk off as a precaution then he must be including him in the squad. Branthwaite looked good but was very aggressive when attacking the ball and could be a possible liability at such a young age.

Konsa will go because of his versatility but Gehui maybe wont because of lack of experience. I think Dunk is now third choice behind Stones and Maguire and will play in the last group game if we have already qualified.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think Palmer has to be involved, an exceptional end to the season. I would play him and move Bellingham closer to Rice.

CB I fear that Guehi, who played on the left side last night, is ahead of Dunk in Southgate's plans but Dunk has played either side quite comfortably for the last two seasons switching when we have played him alongside Colwill, Igor, Webster, Van Hecke

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Konsa will go because of his versatility but Gehui maybe wont because of lack of experience. I think Dunk is now third choice behind Stones and Maguire and will play in the last group game if we have already qualified.
Guehi has 10 caps. Dunk has six.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There is the possibility Bellingham plays next to Rice and Palmer comes in.
I think that's just a waste of talent and to me makes the team look very unbalanced.

Bellingham is one of the top 2 or 3 players in the world. Get in him in his best position. Palmer should be getting 20 mins at the end of games

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is my fear too.

I'd be happy with the compromise of him being in the squad and playing the third group game and maybe making one or two sub appearances. I feel like this is his last/only opportunity to go to a major international tournament with England so it would be amazing for him to be selected.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Pickford
Walker Stones Dunk/Branthwaite Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Foden Palmer Gordon
Kane

I think that will be the starting 11. For the bigger games I think Rice and Bellingham will play either side of Mainoo for better midfield strength. Gordon I think will be a mainstay of the starting team, Grealish and Saka can come on and change games but Foden and Palmer are special talents who should play from the start.

Stones' partner is the main question mark in this team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here