Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long does your i-phone battery last ?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Have a 4 (not an S) and battery life is dependant on how you use it.

On days where I don't use it much (a few texts, checking e-mails - in the country so keeps trying, little bit of browsing in the evenings, etc.) and it's around 65% when I retire for the evening. If I use it a fair bit then 50%. To get it to be much less then I have to be watching vids/youtube, using it a lot, using the maps when driving etc. I would have to really try to get it to run out from 100% charge at 8am to 0% at midnight. I charge overnight but don't need to do this every night (every other probably) but do so anyway as some days get higher usage than others.

I turn off push (fetch e-mail every 15mins), ONLY have notifications you actually want/need, bluetooth is actually ON (for car handsfree), make sure brightness isn't 100% (too bright anyway).

Don't forget that as it's new to you, you'll be playing with it a lot more than when the novelty factor wears off.

Last edited:

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Have a 4 (not) and battery life is dependant on how you use it.

On days where I don't use it much (a few texts, checking e-mails - in the country so keeps trying, little bit of browsing in the evenings, etc.) and it's around 65% when I retire for the evening. If I use it a fair bit then 50%. To get it to be much less then I have to be watching vids/youtube, using it a lot, using the maps when driving etc. I would have to really try to get it to run out from 100% charge at 8am to 0% at midnight. I charge overnight but don't need to do this every night (every other probably) but do so anyway as some days get higher usage than others.

I turn off push (fetch e-mail every 15mins), ONLY have notifications you actually want/need, bluetooth is actually ON (for car handsfree), make sure brightness isn't 100% (too bright anyway).

Don't forget that as it's new to you, you'll be playing with it a lot more than when the novelty factor wears off.

This, I found it didnt last much to start with but once I stoped playing with i non stop I found It lasted well just make sure you charge it every night.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Check Battery Usage (Settings > General > Usage) when it's close to running out and see what it says.

There'll be two numbers, 'Usage' and 'Standby'. The latter is basically how long the phone has been on since the last charge. The former is how much the phone has actually been used since that charge. You should be getting somewhere in the region of 6-8 hours of usage between charges.

How quickly in elapsed time you go through 6-8 hours of usage will be down to how you use your phone. I'm a very heavy user of mine and getting a full day from wake-up to bed is about as good as you're going to get unless you barely use the thing. Most people will recharge over night.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Over the last 6 months my iPhone 4 battery has deteriorated massively. If I limit myself to not using the apps, I can get a full day out of it just. I've had the phone for more than 2 years now though, so I'm due an upgrade. Just going to wait for the new one to be released.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have an iPhone4 that's nearing 2 years old and just charge it every night, rarely have a problem with battery, fairly heavy user.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I still have an I phone 3gs. It still lasts a whole day with ease using it quite a bit too.

I have had it for about 3 years now and wouldnt replace it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Have an iPhone4 that's nearing 2 years old and just charge it every night, rarely have a problem with battery, fairly heavy user.

Ditto

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My brand new 4S lasts less than a day and thats without watching youtube, sky go etc ! Should i send it back ?

Thanks.

Do you live (or work) in an area that has poor signal coverage? That can eat up battery life when it spends the whole day trying to find a signal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the iPhone is anything like my HTC, then the single biggest battery-drainer is having the background data on while the phone is on standby. Its constantly working away downloading little updates all day long so that they're ready when you switch the phone on - utterly pointless. Just download the news / Twitter / FB / Weather updates as and when you want them when you turn the thing on.

I can get 2 days use out of my HTC One S with plenty of usage. But with background data on, its nearly spent by the evening.

I also keep GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and 3G off as well, those are other things that can easily be activated in a second or two when required.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Those people who charge phones overnight, aren't you slowly killing the battery once it has a full charge, bit like a laptop which is always plugged into the mains kills the batery

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those people who charge phones overnight, aren't you slowly killing the battery once it has a full charge, bit like a laptop which is always plugged into the mains kills the batery

No the iPhone (and, presumably, other phones) has some smarts in it that effectively stops it charging when it gets to 100%.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get about 36 hours with moderate internet and radio use.
iPhone 4

That's remarkable. If I'm somewhere with only my phone for entertainment, such as when I'm getting the train down from the sticks to Brighton for a game, I can get through a whole battery charge by lunchtime.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Same, although mine's 25 months old now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here