Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important is it to sign players before pre-season training starts?

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Lots of transfer activity seems to happen later in the summer when pre-season training has already started. But how important is it that we bring in players before the training starts?

I imagine that its better to have players there from the start and wonder if this pushes teams to try and get transfer business done earlier?

Or - are most pre-season training programmes about fitness and then it doesn't matter as long as the player is doing his training somewhere!

There we go, what do you think?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's not essential just preferable, as even if it is 'just fitness work' they're still doing this work as a team. The more the players get used to each other, both in terms of personality and playing style the better. Every teams training schedule and focus will differ, and so will preseason - even the fitness work at the start - so getting new players acclimatised as soon as possible is the ideal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Preferable, but not essential.

I remember we signed a certain striker once the day before the first game of the season, and he turned out alright.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
It is preferable to have signings resolved before pre season training but not essential. Many players may be away enjoying holidays and having family time before pre season and would therefore be unavailiable for indepth talks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
After pre-season fitness training has started - not too bad so long as the club he's with make him work hard to get rid of the summer bulges
After pre-season tactic training has started - much more important as the more time with his new team the more understandings will develop

There is always the worry the closer to the start of the season if a player is not deemed match fit then it could be a month or so before he can play

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Preferable, but not essential.

I remember we signed a certain striker once the day before the first game of the season, and he turned out alright.

Yeah but he was the final piece of the jigsaw with the rest of the team either here already or signed up during the close season. I think we need a bit more than the final piece this time.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
From a team bonding thing it would be good to have everyone together before Portugal where I imagine tactics and what not come into play a bit more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here