Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do we go about setting up our own political party?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
deposits still £500 I think, plus a bit of admin. We'd only be putting tories in though, they'd be much worse

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thing Dessie is correct.

Pointless exercise IMHO

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
"Brighton fans get into Europe!"

Well, the team ain't gonna get into Europe any time soon, hmm

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It doesnt have to be a local election....we could 'force' one of our local MPs to resign, over a matter of principle, that the DPM had overruled the overwhelming wishes of the local people.

That would force a full by election, at which point we put a candidate up.

This would severly embarass Labour on a national level.

Ive heard Caplin is BHA thru and thru so I nominate him....

Last edited:

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Smart Mart said:
He's also a Government minister, so it might be asking a lot for him to give up his job voluntarily. He will be voted out next year though if Prezza says No and might just scrape back in by a few hundred votes if Prezza says Yes, even allowing for the war factor.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I also heard this on SCR and there was definitely talk about local elections in Brighton and Hove during May/June this year. I don't understand it though as I have just looked on the Internet and found out elections took place last year so there cannot be any more planned.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Apart from which there was a rumour doing the rounds that Caplin had already threatened to resign, if the answer was no anyway. Thats the time you put up a candidate.

triptolemus

Oct 7, 2003
I sincerely doubt any Brighton MPs would resign over Falmer, but the mere threat that a political party is ready to be formed over the issue should be enough to sway Prescott, regardless of whether there are elections or by-elections imminent. I think he has not responded to the fans' pressure immediately because that would look like a knee-jerk reaction. He needs a few weeks to make it look like a considered decision, but I'm sure the 'political' pressure is beginning to tell. He would have to play a very long game to draw the sting of the reaction to a no, but this conceivably could also be a reason for why he has not yet responded to the pressure. I think the idea of a Seagulls Party will contribute to swinging his decision the right way, however, and should be kept prominent.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Smart Mart said:
It doesnt have to be a local election....we could 'force' one of our local MPs to resign, over a matter of principle, that the DPM had overruled the overwhelming wishes of the local people.

That would force a full by election, at which point we put a candidate up.

This would severly embarass Labour on a national level.

How the hell do you propose we "FORCE" an MP to resign ??

Set him up with a tryst with Ernest :lolol: :lolol:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Beach Hut said:
How the hell do you propose we "FORCE" an MP to resign ??

Set him up with a tryst with Ernest :lolol: :lolol:

and then take incriminating photos of him on Falmer common.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Spicy said:
and then take incriminating photos of him on Falmer common.

just give me enough warning to put it in the diary then - only I've got a couple of weddings to do soon and I'd hate to be stuck taking pictures of blushing brides instead!!!:D:D :D

Last edited:

triptolemus said:
I sincerely doubt any Brighton MPs would resign over Falmer, but the mere threat that a political party is ready to be formed over the issue should be enough to sway Prescott, regardless of whether there are elections or by-elections imminent. I think he has not responded to the fans' pressure immediately because that would look like a knee-jerk reaction. He needs a few weeks to make it look like a considered decision, but I'm sure the 'political' pressure is beginning to tell. He would have to play a very long game to draw the sting of the reaction to a no, but this conceivably could also be a reason for why he has not yet responded to the pressure. I think the idea of a Seagulls Party will contribute to swinging his decision the right way, however, and should be kept prominent.
Very interesting, triptolemus.

I have a few questions to ask.

You seem to like the idea of a Seagulls Party because it will contribute to swinging Prescott's decision "the right way".

But you don't actually say what YOU think "the right way" is.

I know who you are. And I know that you appeared at the Public Inquiry as an opponent of the stadium.

My questions are these.

1. Why does Falmer Parish Council think that the threat of a Seagulls Party will help Prescott decide NO to the stadium?

2. Do you think that our campaign for a YES decision will be successful?

3. When we get the YES decision, what does the Parish Council intend to do about it?

I'm only asking, you understand.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:

I did notice he hadnt filled in his Want Falmer? Question...To scared to stand up and say 'NO' on NSC? pathetic.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
sullyupthewing said:
Tell that to the Charlton fans.

Well said mate. Charlton putting up pro-Valley candidates was a major factor in getting them back where they belonged. Look at where they are now.... that could be us in 10 years time.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Charlton fans were trying to put pressure on their local council.

Brighton & Hove City Council are backing us 100 per cent at the moment.

So the two situations are very different.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Charlton fans were trying to put pressure on their local council.

Brighton & Hove City Council are backing us 100 per cent at the moment.

So the two situations are very different.

Which is why m'lud, the pressure has to be on NATIONAL government. The prospect of potentially losing 3 marginal labour seats would concentrate their minds....New Labour were so fecking proud of winning Hove at the last election. If any one of their 3 local MPs were to quit over this issue, forcing a by election, it would force our campaign onto the national agenda...

triptolemus

Oct 7, 2003

You seem to like the idea of a Seagulls Party because it will contribute to swinging Prescott's decision "the right way".

Lord Bracknell

I'm afraid you are mistaking me for someone else entirely. I did not appear at the Public Inquiry. I am in favour of Falmer, voted for it at the referendum. As I've stated on NSC before, I'm in favour of fan power, as opposed to corporate power. I have no idea of the answers to your questions 1 and 3, as I have nothing whatever to do with Falmer Parish Council or with Falmer at all, or any political party - I'm a Brighton fan and a Brightonian. Question 2) I think the yes campaign will be successful because of the political consequences of a no, and I will be as delighted as any other fan if and when it is. As I've posted before, I want my children to have a football club to support in the town they were born. Where we differ, I think, is that I believe we lost the Goldstone because of a political mistake, not just because of Archer and co. That's what I'm sore about. I'd rather the fans controlled their own destiny, not local or national politicians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here