Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do I cook perfect HALIBUT?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Went to a wedding last month and had an amazing dish with halibut, pressed potatoes, asparagus and a mustardy sauce. It was really thick and nicely browned on top (yes yes - like me) - how do I recreate this? Fry it? Broil it? Both?

(I've got a great fishmongers over the road from me so quality shouldn't be an issue)

I need your help!!
:drool:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Went to a wedding last month and had an amazing dish with halibut, pressed potatoes, asparagus and a mustardy sauce. It was really thick and nicely browned on top (yes yes - like me) - how do I recreate this? Fry it? Broil it? Both?

(I've got a great fishmongers over the road from me so quality shouldn't be an issue)

I need your help!!
:drool:

You can grill it (not broil it - you're British), with a dabs of butter and a squeeze of lemon.

Or bake it, wrapped in foil with, say, dabs of butter, garlic and dill.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It always seems so difficult to find a perfect halibut.

Does anyone know the best plaice?

Promotion

Aug 27, 2011
Nearby
Wrap in foil with butter, lemon salt and pepper. Seal tightly. 350 degrees middle shelf for about 15 mins. Simple.

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
I would fry it in butter in a hot oven proof pan skin side down until golden and crisp. Season with Salt and Pepper and turn over. Then transfer the pan to the oven 160 and cook for 10 - 15 minutes depending on how thick it is.

Or if it isn't very thick, just cook in the pan as above, flip over and turn the heat off. The residue heat from the pan will be enough to cook the flesh through to the middle perfectly.....(perfectly to me is lightly cooked in the center but still hot).

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
I worked for a fish company once. They told me to steak a halibut one day so I thought that'd be no problem. Then they wheeled it in and it weighed 90 kg.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I would fry it in butter in a hot oven proof pan skin side down until golden and crisp. Season with Salt and Pepper and turn over. Then transfer the pan to the oven 160 and cook for 10 - 15 minutes depending on how thick it is.

Or if it isn't very thick, just cook in the pan as above, flip over and turn the heat off. The residue heat from the pan will be enough to cook the flesh through to the middle perfectly.....(perfectly to me is lightly cooked in the center but still hot).

Thanks for the replies everyone. This one sounds just the trick. Now, supposing I don't have an oven proof pan, just whack the fish and juices into a baking dish? Or will that bugger it up?

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
As you can see I don't post often but Cheffings my thing. Oddsocks got it bang on! Fry skin side down, finish in the oven if thick or coven with frying pan/griddle with foil and creates it's own heat. You can make the sauce in the remaining juices, so add splash wine, herbs.Butter and or cream if you don't mind the calories.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You cannot watch this enough!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
If you want it browned on top, you'll either have to cook it in a pan and flip it over to brown the top, or else cook it in the foil but leave the foil open at the top so it gets brown in the oven.

Do you know the best way to prepare the asparagus, so you don't get woody ends - before you cook them, take each asparagus spear and bend the bottom end slightly until it snaps off. Then ideally cook them vertically in a pan of boiling water, tied together with a piece of string or rubber band or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here