• Cost over £100.00 to get it through the MOT

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I'm smug because my car is too young to need an MOT

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I reckon, as most of you probably do, that MOT stations look to fail a car where possible. Even if it's just headlight alignment which my car seems to fail on most years even though I don't touch the lights from one year to the next.

What are your experiences?

Multiple choices available on the poll to cover headlight alignment amongst other fail points.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Where's the option for?
"Would have cost more than the car was worth so scrapped it and bought another"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ned said:
Where's the option for?
"Would have cost more than the car was worth so scrapped it and bought another"

Fair point. I have had exactly the same experience in the past so should have included that as well.:rolleyes:

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
NMH said:
I don't want them failing my car for stuff like a bit of rust, if they can knock themselves out on a couple of dodgy bulbs or a tightening of a muffler bracket.

A muffled titter ran round the audience.

What's a muffler?

???

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Ccider said:

What's a muffler?

???

In English it is more commonly known as a silencer.

Hope that helps;)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
My car needed nothing doing to it, the husband spent a small fortune on his piece of shit just because "it's the best car I've ever had" and he can't bear to part with it. Grr.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
wheres the option for 'passed but should fail on a couple of small points that they overlook as it would be petty to fail on'
my rear indicator has a small hole the size of a pound coin, should fail but will be fine if I get some special tape that costs a quid and mechanic is a good bloke.

bloody hate MOT's though

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On the results so far it seems I may have unfairly maligned MOT stations - 60% straight through :)

Last edited:

Icy Gull said:
I reckon, as most of you probably do, that MOT stations look to fail a car where possible.

Not true-if an MOT station fails too many vehicles VOSA will look into why their fail numbers are abnormal. Now the system is computerised it is easy to spot dodgy garages abusing their MOT status.

Believe it or not-all of the MOT stations I deal with would rather pass a car than fail it.

Icy Gull said:
On the results so far it seems I may have unfairly maligned MOT stations - 60% straight through :)

Get your car serviced when it should be serviced and almost every time it will sail through an MOT. If you don't maintain your car regularly then frankly you deserve to have it fail.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Icy Gull said:
I reckon, as most of you probably do, that MOT stations look to fail a car where possible.

Why not take it to somebody like Mr MOT in Burgess Hill, if you live in that area, who only does MOTs and a free retest within 14 days so it is of no advantage for him to fail it. Therefore the car will go through if it is OK because he isnt looking for the repair work.

My 1978 Sherpa Campervan has passed the last 3 MOTs straight through although I know it will neeed a nearside wheel bearing for the next one in June.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
£300 on brakes n stuff.

...and they "fixed" the leak in the door due to a design fault by Renault...and now the effing window doesnt open. :rolleyes:

they were supposed to have it back today and give us a curtosy(sp) car whilst they fix something they said they had fixed....phoned up yesterday to say they were all out ( even though we booked this two weeks ago)

tates

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave the Gaffer said:
£300 on brakes n stuff.

...and they "fixed" the leak in the door due to a design fault by Renault...and now the effing window doesnt open. :rolleyes:

they were supposed to have it back today and give us a curtosy(sp) car whilst they fix something they said they had fixed....phoned up yesterday to say they were all out ( even though we booked this two weeks ago)

tates

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dave you have not got a Clio as featrured on watchdog last night have you.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nemesis said:
Get your car serviced when it should be serviced and almost every time it will sail through an MOT. If you don't maintain your car regularly then frankly you deserve to have it fail.

That's my point, my car is meticulously maintained but they always seem to find something like headlight alignment, nothing big just enough to cost me up to £50.00 to get it thru over the MOT cost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here