Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did the Cardiff game compare with the Charlton and Posh games last season?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These two games were the high water marks for our performances last season. How do you think the Cardiff game compared?

IMHO I think the opening 20 minutes of the second half in Wales is probably the best I have ever seen us play. Cardiff hardly touched the ball during this period.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Peterborough was much better than either Cardiff or Charlton.

(I didn't go to either Cardiff or Charlton)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Lucky enough to be at all 3. I know that Cardiff is the freshest in the memory but I really do think that it the best performance I have seen. Taking into account the opposition & that it was only the 3rd game of the season, it really was an outstanding performance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having been to all three, I still felt more in awe at Peterborough as Cardiff could've got into the game if a couple of their shots had been less eratic. Just glad that I was present at all three :)

It's funny how they're all away matches, but I really think tomorrow could be a good'un.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Peterborough was as unexpected as the Cardiff result in its complete domination.... especially as Boro were freescoring for fun at that point, but this Cardiff game proves we can be one of the heavy hitters in this league,..... we didnt even play any wingers and still scored 3..... awesome. ( didnt go to Charlton)

I was also at all 3. Posh had something because of the terrace, but for me it's a close call between Charlton and Cardiff.

For Charlton though, although underdogs, we were already a few weeks further into the season and we were starting to realise we were good in league one.

Wednesday night was a shock for me. I really didn't realise we could be that good. Cardiff are no mugs, but we made them look like dirty unwashed ones with chips and broken handles!

Fact: We can win this league. Whether we will or not is another thing.

Remember Tuesday was also without Noone, Buckley or Lua Lua on the pitch, let alone our amazing defenders from last year.

Good times!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I was at all three.

Definitely Cardiff. Why? Because it was a CHAMPIONSHIP game therefore against much BETTER opposition.

Then Charlton.

Whilst Pterboro was good and as I said before we no doubt would have won. It was 11 v 10 for most of the game and so that takes the gloss off it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Peterborough was as unexpected as the Cardiff result in its complete domination.... especially as Boro were freescoring for fun at that point, but this Cardiff game proves we can be one of the heavy hitters in this league,..... we didnt even play any wingers and still scored 3..... awesome. ( didnt go to Charlton)

Agreed but then one of their most creative plasyers got sent off!

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I was at all three. Given the fact we were all completely gobsmacked that we'd taken everything Cardiff had and then went 3-0 up I would say Tuesday night was best. Atmos better at Charlton and Peteborough obviously, but for pure football, there were times at 2-0 up that we absolutely purred against a side that pushed for the Prem last term.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Peterborough had 10 men and Charlton were cack, so Cardiff for me especially when you look at some of their players.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Attended all three.

Peterborough was total domination from start to finish. If it was not for Joe Lewis it could have been 8 or 9 quite easily -albeit against 10 for most of the game.

Could not say that against Cardiff. Only 5 shots on goal although the manner of the performance was very similar. After a fairly even first half, the first goal put the stuffing out of the Taffs and we never really looked like conceding.

Charlton was as unexpected as the other two but less dominant.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Attended all 3 - Charlton the best, as we were a class above the entire game.
Peterborough next - as above, but you'd expect that against ten men, and we should have scored more.
Cardiff a close third - second half we were exceptional, but for about 20 minutes of the first half we were totally outplayed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cardiff a close third - second half we were exceptional, but for about 20 minutes of the first half we were totally outplayed.

Cardiff did get back into the game late in the second half and our goal was against the run of play at the time BUT they were strong opposition so it was to be expected. They have consistently done well at the top of the Championship over the past few years and have two internationals up front. All things considered I think the Cardiff performance pips the Charlton one.

I forgot an influential opponent got sent off at London Road, so maybe this game is third in my list of three?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ten men thing at Posh is a red herring.

We were already destroying them, before the red card. We were already one up, and had chosen to miss a penalty to keep it interesting.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
The ten men thing at Posh is a red herring.

We were already destroying them, before the red card. We were already one up, and had chosen to miss a penalty to keep it interesting.

Maybe your right, but there would have been some point in that game where Peterborough may have had a spell of pressure with 11.

Cardiff was excellent as before the game we knew it would be a real test and we came out with flying colours.
I think our short passing and ball retention on wednesday was out of this world.

Charlton would be my second fave as we gave them the right run around and had some of their fans clapping us off at the end.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think all Albion's future oponents will now be on notice. As obviously will the other South Coast club's.

Wonder if two promoted teams have ever dominated the next league up quite like Albion/Soton are threatening to do?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I was only at Charlton and Peterborough and have to say the Charlton performance edged it mainly, as has been mentioned because one of Boro's players got sent off. I didn't realise the extent at how well we played on wednesday that it's being compared to Charlton and Boro last season. Happy days!

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I was at all three and I think Wednesday night's performance was the best because of the quality of the opposition and because it was so unexpected. As for atmosphere I enjoyed Peterborough the most and it was the first time the "we're ..............brilliant" chant was aired. Summed it up superbly I thought!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here