Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How come

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How come

The Greeks can build all the necessary facilities to stage the Olympic Games, modern stadia and facilities all happily nestled in with thousands of years of history but we're stalled on a new stadium because of a f***ing village pond and 200 selfish bastards?

Seriously-if ever there was a place that is needed as an example of how modern stadia can be accepted by a city that is (I think) a World Heritage Site-surely Athens is the place. Why can't our merry band of Little Englanders realise that they are social dinosaurs? Their isolationist ideals do not fit in with the modern world-if they want solitude, they've picked one hell of a strange place to try and find it. A major aterial road, 2 Universities and a railway line.

The world has moved on-the Greeks can see that. They have embraced the Olympic sites, welcomed them and have immense pride in the buildings. They already had the Acropolis FFS but didn't object to the Olympic Stadium "Because it can be seen from our historic monuments". They want to see the bloody thing. It has put Greece to the forefront on the world stage again.

They have a brand new public transport sytem which, during its construction, led to the discovery of unknown antiquities. So many benefits for so many people...but we get "Don't build that stadium on that barren field because we'll have nowhere for our dogs to shit"...or something as equally ludicrous.

I despair at the narrow-minded selfishness of English wannabe snobs-I really do.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FFS! Yes, but the Greeks don't have a duckpond and Sunday afternoon tea ritual to worry about, do they. It's no problem building a stadium when you just have a few blocks of marble and the odd temple around, but a duckpond is a major logistial problem and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Get real Bwian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here