Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can the BBC have got it so hopelessly wrong?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Unbelievable...look at it again: nowhere in the DPM's statement does it say anything that could be construed by anyone with half a brain as anything other than a reopening of the enquiry...

So how come something so important to so many people across the world is being dealt with by some work experience kid who apparently speed-read the second line? AND it's been the same on Ceefax apparently?

Spreading heart-attacks, shock and anger when actually it's seemingly not that bad at all. An unforgivable f***ing disgrace.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Still with any luck the old bat from Falmer saying what a great decision it is that is has been turned down will end up as one of those priceless sound bits to be played at every game at Falmer to gee the crowd up.

THAT would be brilliant.

she is a BENNY.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We were discussing this at work. We reckoned it was the work of a young sub-ed, straight out of college who had to sub about 2o stories in an hour and tried to cut corners.

They corrected themselves pretty quickly though.

It is all far too familiar to anyone who listens to SCR regulalrly. Their presentational skills are amaterish at best and their news values are appalling. They have no sense of what makes brighton and hove tick as a city (which is hardly suprising as most of them are based in Guildford)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apparently SCR's studio in Brighton now consists of a small room with a telephone on the wall to call through to Guildford... Not quite like the radio Brighton/Sussex days!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Desert Orchid said:
No, they didn't. 1.32pm: Plans "go back to the drawing board".

I was talking about the main BBC news site, not SCR. It had Stadium plans shelved as its head and then, about 20 minutes later had Stadium plans put on hold.

Quick change around.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've been wondering this all day: is it just total incompetence? It can happen - I'm quite proud to work for possibly the only news organisation in the the world that flashed the headline "OJ Simpson found guilty" whilst he was thanking the jury for letting him go - OR (as I suspect) - is there a Falmer rat in the SCR camp?

Seriously, we're certainly owed an explanation and an apology. What they did was useless and dangerous.

Donk the Seagull

Registered Legend
Jul 26, 2004
i look at the bbc sport website everyday and it is never right. they should sort their facts out b4 broadcasting it to the whole world that we would not get falmer (total lie). i think itv should take over.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :censored: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Here's my theory.

Someone came up with the wizzo idea of getting the FALMER response to the announcement rather than the usual Albion suspects.

Given that SCR have Falmer contacts in just the same way as they have Albion contacts, one of the Duckponders was invited to phone the newsroom as soon as a brown envelope hit the mat.

They did. And, being unable to grasp the difference between a "No" decision and a decision to re-open the Inquiry, the Falmer person only read the easy words in the letter from Prescott.

In their delight at landing such a cracking "scoop", SCR failed to remember the first basic rule - CHECK THE FECKING FACTS FOR YOURSELF!

Because the simple fact is that Prescott did not say "NO" to Falmer.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just to make it clear what the BBC posted on their website this morning...

" Plans for a new stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion have been shelved, the government has said. "

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Storer68 said:
It is all far too familiar to anyone who listens to SCR regulalrly. Their presentational skills are amaterish at best and their news values are appalling. They have no sense of what makes brighton and hove tick as a city (which is hardly suprising as most of them are based in Guildford)

So why do you listen to them regularly?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Page 160 of CEEFAX currently bears the headline (for page 163):

'ALBION Seagulls lose stadium battle'

Page 163 itself waters down the tone to 'Brighton and Hove albion have lost the latest round in the football club's fight for a new stadium' then bangs on about the inquiry being re-opened.

Very poor reporting.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I've been on a building site all-day and have had to receive "NO" texts all day from friends.

There seems to be some confusion

After reading a few threads on here everyone seems happy enough.
My view of it is that they could not say yes immediately because green belt land that Prescott has been accused of bulldozering by the media is being used.So he has thrown it back at the NIMBY'S to come up with an alternative (knowing BHA will say there is no alternative).

Agreed?

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Can really sypathise with you all in this post. I had the day off work and went out of Sussex for the day. The last thing I heard was that report at 10.00 and that smug old bag from falmer gloating. It spoilt a good day and I only really began to cheer up once I got home and rewad all these posts.

Man of Harveys said:
I've been wondering this all day: is it just total incompetence? It can happen - I'm quite proud to work for possibly the only news organisation in the the world that flashed the headline "OJ Simpson found guilty" whilst he was thanking the jury for letting him go - OR (as I suspect) - is there a Falmer rat in the SCR camp?

Seriously, we're certainly owed an explanation and an apology. What they did was useless and dangerous.

It's a scandal. This is the Brighton version of the New York Post's "Dewey Wins" headline in the 1948 Presidential election, the most famous journo f***-up of all time.

I agree with Roz's surmising about what happened, but FFS, whay does this say about the quality of local broadcast news journalism when they are not doing the BASICS that every journalist is taught on Day One.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Storer68 said:

Perhaps Bwian, SurreySeagulls and I should go and have a word. I know where the studio is!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here