Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hospital car-parking charges.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Already scrapped in Wales,Scotland to follow and Northern Ireland looking to scrap car-parking charges. Yet surprise surprise Nhs Hospital in England are set to carry on charging. :bigwave:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
and we will soon be the only ones paying prescription charges,eye test fees and struggle to find a NHS dentist, all our money is going to subsidise the welsh, haggis munchers and paddies.

is it not enough we have to support the northern monkeys?

The thing about Wales and Scotland is, of course, that they still have a national health service. We have local Primary Care Trusts that aren't accountable ... even at a local level.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
As far as I know, the money that is made from the car parks (at soton anyway) doesn't go to the PCTs / NHS

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
when i go to my hospital, i dont pay for the car park, i pay my taxes etc so they can take it from that

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If hospitals like Worthing scrapped charges you'd have half the working population of Worthing using it as a free car park, There would be no benefit to patients.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sadly, this is what you must expect when public services are turned into corporate businesses, and making (or saving) money becomes their main concern.

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If hospitals like Worthing scrapped charges you'd have half the working population of Worthing using it as a free car park, There would be no benefit to patients.

Very true as right on the edge of town

Scotland to follow

except where the car park was built under a PFI contract, in which case it will be too expensive to withdraw from the deal.

Can anybody think of a single good reason to support the PFI scheme (other than the contractors who are laughing all the way to the bank)? And can anyone think why a government which has forced such stupidity on the NHS, local authorities and so on should ever get the vote of an intelligent, caring human being? f***ing tossers.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well said, 'fatbadger'.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
My local hospital ramped the car park charges up to the max - the excuse being that commuters used to park there and walk to the local station (all of 1.5 - 2 miles away and with a free car park) in order to avoid paying the railway's car park charges. I think if you leave the car there all day it's something like £25 which is, quite frankly, criminal.
I recently had occasion to visit another hospital in a different PCT (Frimley Park)and that was much more realstically priced at about £1 per hour and went up to £10 for a weekly ticket.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My local hospital ramped the car park charges up to the max - the excuse being that commuters used to park there and walk to the local station (all of 1.5 - 2 miles away and with a free car park) in order to avoid paying the railway's car park charges. I think if you leave the car there all day it's something like £25 which is, quite frankly, criminal.
I recently had occasion to visit another hospital in a different PCT (Frimley Park)and that was much more realstically priced at about £1 per hour and went up to £10 for a weekly ticket.

What about some sort of validation system, where it was free to those who could prove they were using the hospital. Not quite sure how you would achieve that though.

I go to Worthing hosp quite a lot, but always use the other c/p over the road, which is a pay & display one.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
except where the car park was built under a PFI contract, in which case it will be too expensive to withdraw from the deal.

Which means the main hospitals in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee...

Still, it's good news for most Scots.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've just turned down a job at an NHS trust as despite the fact I would be working at their hospitals I was expected to pay £6 per day to park. Bearing in mind that the nearest one to me would take me well over twice as long to get to by public transport it would also cost more. Additionally I am supposed to do a couple of weeks at a hospital that can only be accessed from where I am by train then a 30 minute walk on narrow roads with no pavement.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I think hospital parking charges are in a lot of cases fair enough. At 2 hospitals I regularly visit they are close to or in the town centre. With low or no parking charges the car parks would be full of cars that are nothing to do with the hospital – Everyone then complained you couldn’t get a space.

If you really want free parking then it a society attitude change that is required which is never going to happen quickly. In any case, we get free health care and that costs billions – Is it too much to ask that you get charged a few quid for parking if you are earning money especially in areas where alternative public transport makes the hospital easily accessible?

Also, most of the Scottish car parks were only charging a pound and the money was being used for maintenance and upkeep of the car park. That money will now have to found from elsewhere (of which there is no budget). To me, this is more an opportunity to score political points as the old system here wasn’t exactly unfair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here