Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia linked to attraction to one's own gender

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
So, homophobics hate homos cause they are homo too?

I trust the homos on the end of any abuse from these homos can be more forgiving, seems like they have a lot more in common with the abusers that they would have thought.

Does this also mean whites are racist because secretly they want to be black? Who'd have thunk it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
These theories are not new, and there may be an element of truth in them.

Usually members of the gay community that highlight them though.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
I don't agree with that finding. Well I don't agree with if your homophobic you have to question your sexuality. I love being in the company of men more than women, I'd never be homophobic towards man/woman. So as I don't shout homophobic abuse then that makes not question my sexuality?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't agree with that finding. Well I don't agree with if your homophobic you have to question your sexuality. I love being in the company of men more than women, I'd never be homophobic towards man/woman. So as I don't shout homophobic abuse then that makes not question my sexuality?

Err, if you're not homophobic, then the study's findings about closet homosexuality don't necessarily relate to you. I don't see what you are disagreeing with.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
Err, if you're not homophobic, then the study's findings about closet homosexuality don't necessarily relate to you. I don't see what you are disagreeing with.

I work with men and they are homophobic but they are %100 straight. It doesn't bother me if they are homophobic as I don't class them as such but voicing an opinion. All the male friends I have resent gays but that's their opinion and we have debates on it. Because someone is against gays then it doesn't make them question their own sexual desires.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So, homophobics hate homos cause they are homo too?

I trust the homos on the end of any abuse from these homos can be more forgiving, seems like they have a lot more in common with the abusers that they would have thought.

Does this also mean whites are racist because secretly they want to be black? Who'd have thunk it.

I don't think findings (and tentative ones at that) about one form of bullying / oppression can automatically be transferred to apply to a different kind. With sexuality, there is an ambiguity to it where you can't automatically tell what someone's sexuality is by their appearance, unless they take on archetypal appearances and behaviours associated with a particular sexuality. The upshot of this ambiguity is that insecure people often have the urge to be openly anti-gay to 'prove' they're not gay themselves. Whereas people generally do not feel they have to say anti-black jokes or taunts to prove they are not black. Not sure if I'm saying things clearly, but just trying to show the terrain is different.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I work with men and they are homophobic but they are %100 straight. It doesn't bother me if they are homophobic as I don't class them as such but voicing an opinion. All the male friends I have resent gays but that's their opinion and we have debates on it. Because someone is against gays then it doesn't make them question their own sexual desires.

If they were really straight, surely they'd love it if there were more gay men as there would be more women for them? :clap2:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Does that mean that all the grief we've had both home & away was self indulgent?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As human sexuality is a complex issue there are bound to be SOME homophobes this applies to.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
If they were really straight, surely they'd love it if there were more gay men as there would be more women for them? :clap2:

Problem with me and my friends is we're all loyal and don't stray. If Brighton is full of gays then surely all clubs should be full of females? Well away fans think Brighton is full of puffs so why is it when I visit clubs there is couples or mixed people? Really don't understand their logic.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I don't think findings (and tentative ones at that) about one form of bullying / oppression can automatically be transferred to apply to a different kind. With sexuality, there is an ambiguity to it where you can't automatically tell what someone's sexuality is by their appearance, unless they take on archetypal appearances and behaviours associated with a particular sexuality. The upshot of this ambiguity is that insecure people often have the urge to be openly anti-gay to 'prove' they're not gay themselves. Whereas people generally do not feel they have to say anti-black jokes or taunts to prove they are not black. Not sure if I'm saying things clearly, but just trying to show the terrain is different.

f*** sake...............so do I really hate Palace or not? I never used to be confused.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here