Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidays during term time.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Some argue that they're entitled to let their kids get away from it all, or that it's cheaper to go during term time.

However, I have always argued that the parents are the ones that signed their children up to be taught within these educational establishments.

Having said that, the attitude of some of the parents is laughable. On the news tonight, one man decided that by taking his children on holiday during term, they would not have to 'suffer' as much as other pupils.

Is it just me, or does this smack of 'my child is more important than yours'?

It also seems that after a parent or guardian has enrolled their children in said school, even though they are bound by certain terms and conditions, seem to willingly flout those rules and expect no trouble from the authorities?

My opinion, what's yours?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Why should the state, or school do anything? The child will suffer educationally, and that's down to the choice of the parent - we can't be binding them so restrictively, and I'm sure there's times during the year that is preferable to go away, which may not coincide with school's holiday/half-term breaks.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Some parent twat had the audacity to ask my missus if she'd be prepared to do some extra lessons (unpaid!!!) after school so their brat could make up the time lost when they went on holiday during term time, as they considered it her job to get the kid to the appropriate grade. My missus just laughed and asked them to leave.

Its not as if the teachers can just skip a couple of weeks during term time.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
See the perspective that it's off peak and therefore cheaper but I guess some kids aren't bothered about school and some are good enough to catch up on their own. Case to case basis for this one.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I understand if parents and children can't have enough time off as a family, because of work commitments, but since when has going to Disneyland or Majorca to sunbathe or gawp at Mickey Mouse been more beneficial than attending school?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Why should the state, or school do anything? The child will suffer educationally, and that's down to the choice of the parent - we can't be binding them so restrictively, and I'm sure there's times during the year that is preferable to go away, which may not coincide with school's holiday/half-term breaks.

what happens when a child grows up to become a burden?

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Whilst I agree with your sentiments price is a massive factor for many and some simply cannot afford mid term prices, my lads are 5 and 7 so we took the choice to take them out of school. I dare say when they get older we will have to either bite the bullet and pay the extortionate prices or just not go.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
what happens when a child grows up to become a burden?

We send him to a concentration camp, and then be done with him. And statistically, the ones that do become the burdens are from the socio-economic backgrounds that mean they wouldn't be able to afford holidays anyway. They're more likely to truant, and become further nuisances at the school and significantly impact school resources that effects the entire school - someone going on holiday only effects themselves.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I took mine out when getting married abroad, we told them to send her work to her e-mail address and she will catch up. They allowed us to go. All was put in a letter to the headmaster and all agreed. She had a good attendance record and did not struggle academically and they could not really turn it down.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Its not as if the teachers can just skip a couple of weeks during term time.[/QUOTE]

Without opening a can of worms on this one.....teachers dont seem to give a stuff when they go on strike (in term time) causing massive inconvenience to pupils and parents do they??

Having said that I do think that teachers (especially the ones at the school my sons attend) do a cracking job.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A very pertinent question for me. My in laws have just bought a property in Cape Verde. I'm very keen to go next year but have two children, one who will be starting reception in September, the other is two in September, so will command a full air fair price from that point onwards. If I go in term time it costs 468 per person, 700+ during term time. So, it costs an extra grand to take my kids on a holiday if I follow the rules.

So, I have three options:

- Pay the money, do the socially acceptable thing and go in the easter holidays knowing that I am being totally exploited by a sole flight operator who sells out on pretty much any flight at any time of year anyway, costing me a grand in the process.

- Take them during term time, denying my eldest two weeks in reception, but he's bloody bright and I'm certain it won't effect his development (he can already do basic arithmetic, recognise letters etc), saving me a grand

- Deny them both a fabulous holiday and go camping in Dorset

I'd very much value any thoughts based on personal experience.

PS - I could not see myself taking my children out of school later in life, but this is reception...

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
A very pertinent question for me. My in laws have just bought a property in Cape Verde. I'm very keen to go next year but have two children, one who will be starting reception in September, the other is two in September, so will command a full air fair price from that point onwards. If I go in term time it costs 468 per person, 700+ during term time. So, it costs an extra grand to take my kids on a holiday if I follow the rules.

- Pay the money, do the socially acceptable thing and go in the easter holidays knowing that I am being totally exploited by a sole flight operator who sells out on pretty much any flight at any time of year anyway, costing me a grand in the process.

- Take them during term time, denying my eldest two weeks in reception, but he's bloody bright and I'm certain it won't effect his development (he can already do basic arithmetic, recognise letters etc), saving me a grand

PS - I could not see myself taking my children out of school later in life, but this is reception...

Go to Cape Verde and make sure you all enjoy it.

Your eldest will catch up for sure. School is very important but affordable family time also important too

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
How about taking a holiday that one can afford as opposed to taking a child out of classes?

Incredibly selfish and irresponsible of the parents.
most people take there kids out of class because they cant afford a holiday when its half term or summer holidays it got nothing to do with being irresponsible but spending time as a family when its affordable. the irresponsible ones are the holiday companies that use the situation to their advantage and triple the prices when kids are off

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Re-invest some of the savings in some catch-up lessons with a private tutor..problem solved!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Go to Cape Verde and make sure you all enjoy it.

Your eldest will catch up for sure. School is very important but affordable family time also important too

That's my opinion too. Surely at five, life experience is as important as education. Am I right in thinking kids atart school at six in most parts of Western Europe?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
JS - if it's very much a one-off, you could take them during term time.

As your kids are in Reception, I'd imagine the kids could do some Literacy and Numeracy lessons with a Cape Verde flavour. It's also a great opportunity to bring in some Social Studies by showing where they're going on a map, getting them to do some project work on Cape Verde that can bring in many cross-curricular links across different subjects - e.g. counting using the local currency, examples of local art and music, etc.

Travel broadens the mind.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
That's my opinion too. Surely at five, life experience is as important as education. Am I right in thinking kids atart school at six in most parts of Western Europe?

I think that is correct yes

Two weeks out of the school year in reception really isn't going to make any difference to a four / five year old.

Most kids miss at least one to two weeks in reception through illness anyway.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Perhaps I am old fashioned. It doesn't sit easy with me, taking kids out of school for a holiday.

Travel does broaden the horizons. There is plenty of time to do that later on.

Maybe there is a case for the reception age, but I do see it as undermiming the teacher.

What about class prjects and the effect on the other kids? What if all parents did the same and school finishes a week early?

It is all very well blaming the holiday companies/airlines, but they are not forcing one to book with them. Extenuating circumstances are different, but any old holiday?

Problems, I may well face, if/when I pass my PGCE and secure a job.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The problem with taking time out of reception is that it's when the kids learn the basic building blocks that they utilise in all future learning. Without the basics, it makes everything much harder to grasp.

Having said that, for most bright kids, they'll catch up easy enough, as the class is likely to cover everything several times until the slower ones get it, so there's no harm done.

Take the kids on the holiday, JS, but bear in mind that later in their education, it will be much harder for them to catch up, so don't make a habit of it!

Personally, the few times I've taken my kids out of classes, I've tried to make it just a couple of days to take advantage of cheaper prices, rather than a full week or two. It's surprising how often you can get good value by travelling on the Thursday before a half term break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here