Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hinckley Utd defender Gadbsy dies

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Hinckley United's Matt Gadsby died after collapsing on the pitch during a Conference North game on Saturday.

The 27-year-old defender fell to the ground with no-one near him during the first half of their game at Harrogate.

A statement from Hinckley chairman Kevin Downes said: "This is an absolute tragedy and our thoughts are with Matthew's family and friends."

Gadsby joined Hinckley on a free in the summer from Forest Green having started his career at Walsall as a trainee.

He also played for Mansfield Town and Kidderminster Harriers.

Downes continued: "Incidents like this put everything into perspective and no-one can quite come to terms with what has happened.

"The medics were on the pitch within seconds and their treatment was first-class and they did everything they could along with the staff at the hospital which was next door to the ground.

"Matthew had made a big impact on the football club during his time at the Marston's Stadium and he will be sadly missed by everyone."

Gadsby joined Hinckley on a one-year contract this summer and leaves behind a young daughter and wife Sarah.

Hinckley's match away to Moor Green on Tuesday night has been postponed as a mark of respect.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That's awful. :(

There was an Egyptian player who died recently as well, in training I think, at the age of 22. :( So sad.

Rest In Peace.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
:( Awful :(

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Goring Gull said:
Didn't something similar happen to a York City playing David Long? a fair few years ago?

Dave Longhurst.

It was sixteen years ago yesterday. One of Paddy's golf buddies was YTS at York when that happened and says it is the most horrific thing he has ever seen.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP :angel:

Very sad news

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Undetected Heart Disorder or Adult Sudden Death Syndrome

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Chilling and as others have said, gives you a bit of perspective.

Also today The Hamilton Accies game was abandoned today with the score at 3-3 because of a very serious injury to a player. Anyone know what happened?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Screaming J said:
Also today The Hamilton Accies game was abandoned today with the score at 3-3 because of a very serious injury to a player. Anyone know what happened?

Hamilton's Scottish First Division match against Clyde was abandoned after 75 minutes following "an extremely serious injury" to Accies' Ross McCabe.
The 18-year-old was taken to hospital after being treated on the pitch for 20 minutes after a blow to his neck.

But Accies secretary Scott Struthers told BBC Sport: "He is sitting up and will be kept in overnight."

The match, abandoned with the teams locked at 3-3, is likely to be replayed a week on Tuesday.

McCabe, making his fifth appearance for Hamilton, came on as a substitute after 51 minutes at New Douglas Park.

Play was stopped after McCabe was hurt in a challenge for the ball with Clyde striker Dougias Imrie.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Guinness Dave said:
Great l
location"! fella.......safe as houses up there.more probs with the Scummers than the 'Wall.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
doodlebug said:
Very sad when anything like this happens. My thoughts go out to his family :angel:

Didn't Cameroons Marc Vivien Foe die on the pitch during a televised game on Eurosport. That's got to be even worse.

Yes, he sadly did. Manchester City have a memorial to him at the City of Manchester Stadium, in their memorial garden. I found myself almost moved to tears by it when I visited after a business meeting earlier this year. My condolences also go to the family of this young man. The Chalfont St Peter goalkeeper collapsed and died at Horsham in 1988 also (I think). Presumably at bigger clubs they have the facility to test for weak hearts, etc, in footballers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here