Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Does anyone not think this is a good idea?

Don't 'Gas Guzzlers' pay enough tax already ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

bhaexpress said:
Don't 'Gas Guzzlers' pay enough tax already ?
No. People with 'gas guzzlers' can afford the petrol, it wouldn't matter to your average Chelsea Tractor driver if petrol was £1 or £3 a litre. As taxation should be linked to your ability to pay I think it's right that we try and get the rich bastards to pay a bit more without always putting the tax on fuel. (No offence Starry!)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

Brovian said:
No. People with 'gas guzzlers' can afford the petrol, it wouldn't matter to your average Chelsea Tractor driver if petrol was £1 or £3 a litre. As taxation should be linked to your ability to pay I think it's right that we try and get the rich bastards to pay a bit more without always putting the tax on fuel. (No offence Starry!)

I see, and if they decide to buy a Prius how do we make up the shortfall in revenue ? Not everybody drives a FWD for show you know.

I know, let's tax horse riders and cyclists too.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

bhaexpress said:
... I know, let's tax horse riders and cyclists too.
Yes! Once, as you say, people aren't using so much fuel the gov't will probably have to look at other ways of rasing revenue - so they should tax everything that uses the public road network.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

Brovian said:
Yes! Once, as you say, people aren't using so much fuel the gov't will probably have to look at other ways of rasing revenue - so they should tax everything that uses the public road network.

Rather self defeating that. As it is joking aside I do feel that cyclists and horse riders should have third party insurance, and there should be some sort of levy on cycle messengers to make them pay for the number of traffic offenses they commit daily.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Higer taxes? Blimey what are they taxing us for now, I don't even know if my car as got a higer.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

Brovian said:
But this sort of argument was put forward in opposition to the hugely successful congestion charge in London - "oh, they'll just pay it anyway, won't solve anything" - until, six months after it had been introduced, the charge had been so successful about pushing people onto (not under) buses, it was actually bringing in less revenue than they'd expected it to.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
yes. because clearly they buy big cars because of small WILLYS.

I dont have a WILLY though :ohmy:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Gritt23 said:
Guy, you back from training already?

No, he's got a WILLY, well he did the last time I looked..........

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Race said:
No, he's got a WILLY, well he did the last time I looked..........

I heard that that it's a close call on cold days.

:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here