Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hertha Berlin

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i was there in september and there were 55k ... tickets were between €8-12 then and it's one of the most beautiful stadiums in europe.

True. But their attendances do vary, they have very fickle fans. If they're near the top they sell out, otherwise 40-50k. When they were in with a shout of the title 2 years back they had a long run of very big crowds. Following season when they were relegated crowds were sometimes down in the 30s.

Great team though, and as you say, impressive stadium.

Marko Pantelic was up front when I used to watch them....he popped up to put one past Northern Ireland on Friday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We went there October before last and it was a very pleasant afternoon day out

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Nice stadium, but hertha have gone down in recent years. Hopefully they'll be in the bundesliga for next season

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Nice stadium, but hertha have gone down in recent years. Hopefully they'll be in the bundesliga for next season

They're two points clear in the 2. Bundesliga :). Ausburg in 2nd place will make their first ever top division appearance next season if they go up with them,

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Some 20 years ago a friend and I helped another mate move back from Berlin to Alfriston. With a bit of time to kill we thought we'd check out the Olympic Stadium. Much to our surprise a match was about to kick off between Hertha and the very unfashionable Zwichau(?) in the second division. We ended up sitting within the away fans; most of which were rural East German folk, kitted out in fetching hand-knitted jumpers and scarfs.

We joined in with all the chanting not having much of a clue what we were saying. The one that really sticks in my mind was the response to the Hertha team being announced. Much as we shout 'shit' or words to that effect, they shouted 'arschloch' which translates as arsehole. I have no idea what the score was but we had a great time!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Football in Germany has really changed over the last few years. In the olden days, their fans were very fickle. Back in the 90s I remember going to see Hertha BSC vs. 1860 Munich in front of 10,000 at a very empty Olympiastadion.

In fact in those days, teams could be relegated from the 1. Bundesliga to play in front of hundreds, or a few thousand, when in the top league they had 30,000+.

Nowadays they are much more loyal, so you can get 5 figure crowds well into the third division (a division only recently created to take account of this). And the 1. Bundesliga attendances have just gone up and up, especially with the batch of newer 50 - 75k capacity places.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
It was. No atmosphere at all, like a reserve match...

The same fixture hasn't happened yet this season, but 1860 Munich are not a small team (the Man City of Germany, right down to the colours), it'll be at least 50,000 this year - maybe even up to the 70,000 again.

The Germans seems to have completely changed their attitude to lower league football over the last 15 - 20 years. Now if they can just get rid of the second "Amateure" teams in the third division (e.g. Bayern II, Werder Bremen II etc.), it'll all be sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here