Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Herbie Flowers RIP

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Indeed, contributed to so many classic albums and artists… whilst finding time to be a part of two or three diverse and interesting bands…

He pops up in a session capacity so often (in the 70s) it’s almost unreal…

Clearly a very hard working and talented musician… I hadn’t realised he wrote the bass line to walk on the wild side and penned the Clive Dunn (one) hit Grandad… kind of sums up his ability to turn his hand to pretty much anything and do it brilliantly.

What a legacy and (yes) one of the best names in the business.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Herbie Flowers , by all accounts a lovely man and brilliant musician..a local man of Sussex he made time to coach local musicians and community music projects. This while doing numerous sessions with top recording artists and made great music with Skye and played on Jeff Wayne’s “ War of the Worlds “
A lot of people will miss him.. RIP ..

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Amazingly talented man. Saw him a number of times. When he played the spiegel tent at the Brighton festival he just captivated the audience with that big bass and his humour. More than anything it was his huge smile. RIP peace fella.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very sad.

I met him on a number of occasions as he was friends with an exe’s parents and would play at parties and things they had.

He even offered to help me learn guitar.

Very talented and lovely man.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Indeed, contributed to so many classic albums and artists… whilst finding time to be a part of two or three diverse and interesting bands…

He pops up in a session capacity so often (in the 70s) it’s almost unreal…

Clearly a very hard working and talented musician… I hadn’t realised he wrote the bass line to walk on the wild side and penned the Clive Dunn (one) hit Grandad… kind of sums up his ability to turn his hand to pretty much anything and do it brilliantly.

What a legacy and (yes) one of the best names in the business.

The two part bass line on Walk on the Wild Side is so simple but so effective. I was practicing it this morning for a gig in a couple of weeks. Sad to hear that he has passed on. RIP

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
RIP.

By all accounts a decent chap, according to a friend (and BHA fan) who knew Herbie quite well. Credited with the fabulous bass line on 'Jump into the Fire' for Harry Nilsson. Features on the soundtrack for Martin Scorsese's 'Goodfellas'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here