Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henman out of Wimbledon

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Strange, our Press loves Rooney and Terry etc who have achieved nothing but not to keen on Henman....

Who has also achieved nothing, other than maybe winning the Nottingham open or some such shit.

Jul 20, 2003
Who has also achieved nothing, other than maybe winning the Nottingham open or some such shit.

reached (and sustained for a few years) a position in the world rankings a bit higher than our national football team has done

at his best not good enough to regularly beat the likes of Sampras

not an arsehole

not a tiger

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Based on the weather forecast I can see him lasting until Wednesday (which is about when the first game will be played):lolol:
Has Wombledon ever been completely rained off?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
People's attitude to Henman makes me laugh, apart from Fred Perry he is possibly our best ever tennis player and was a top five player in the world. If British tennis takes off over the next 15 years I would say a large piece of that is down to him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
People's attitude to Henman makes me laugh, apart from Fred Perry he is possibly our best ever tennis player and was a top five player in the world. If British tennis takes off over the next 15 years I would say a large piece of that is down to him.

Indeed. There is almost an inverse snobbery about old Tim.

A pleasant chap, model pro, family man, consistent performer on the big stage whilst playing some of the greatest men to grace the tennis circuit (Sampras and Federer). It epitomises England really. Perhaps a large proportion of the abuse he gets is because he is Upper/Middle class and people don't like to give that sort of person the credit they deserve.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Indeed. There is almost an inverse snobbery about old Tim.

A pleasant chap, model pro, family man, consistent performer on the big stage whilst playing some of the greatest men to grace the tennis circuit (Sampras and Federer). It epitomises England really. Perhaps a large proportion of the abuse he gets is because he is Upper/Middle class and people don't like to give that sort of person the credit they deserve.

The thing about Henman as well is that he wasn't an amazingly talented player he worked very hard and played clever which I quite admire. May also be one of the reasons others don't like him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing about Henman as well is that he wasn't an amazingly talented player he worked very hard and played clever which I quite admire. May also be one of the reasons others don't like him.

That and we like proper losers that beat wifes and get drunk like George Best and Gazza.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Henman is a tart. FACT !
I met him in my gym once (Raynes Park, David Lloyd). I can assure you, you'd be unlikely to say that to his face. He may look like a "tart" to you on the TV, but in real life, he's proper fit with bells on. FACT.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I reckon that he is an amazingly talented player, just doesn't have the hunger and fire in the belly that makes champions overcome mental barriers. For me that is what is so frustrating about him. The semi final againts Ivanisavic was definitely a case of the gritty player overcoming the talented one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon that he is an amazingly talented player, just doesn't have the hunger and fire in the belly that makes champions overcome mental barriers. For me that is what is so frustrating about him. The semi final againts Ivanisavic was definitely a case of the gritty player overcoming the talented one.
I respectfully disagree. I thought Henman was a VERY gritty player who frequently won matches he had no right to.

In that Ivanisavic match, Henman simply had no answer to his opponents serve, and made too many first serve errors of his own. Nowt to do with grit - he was never in the game after the first set...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Henman wasn't that highly rated as a youngster, it was through grit and determination that he got to where he did.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I think he hase the hunger, I just just think he lacked the luck and the fact he had two of the all time best players in his era.

It is rather odd that people say he is from money so he doesnt care how he does?
If he didnt care why would he play, he can afford not too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here