Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henderson in Rep of Ireland squad again

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
13:32 08May2006 RTRS-Soccer-Staunton names Ireland squad for Chile friendly

DUBLIN, May 8 (Reuters) - Ireland coach Steve Staunton named a 29-man squad on Monday for his team's training camp in Portugal followed by a friendly against Chile in Dublin later this month.
Staunton's international coaching career got a perfect start in March when his side secured a 3-0 victory over World Cup finalists Sweden in a friendly.
Neither Ireland nor Chile have qualified for the tournament in Germany.
Staunton, Ireland's most capped player, was appointed national team manager in January, with former England coach Bobby Robson as mentor.
The duo replaced Brian Kerr who was sacked in October.
The Chile game will be Ireland's next step in their preparations for Euro 2008. Ireland have been drawn in qualifying Group D with Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Wales, Cyprus and San Marino.
Chile's World Cup campaign ended in October with a goalless home draw against Ecuador. Chile finished seventh in the 10-nation South American group with 22 points from 18 games.
Squad:
Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Paddy Kenny (Sheffield United), Wayne Henderson (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Defenders: Gary Breen (Sunderland), Ian Harte (Levante), Steve Finnan (Liverpool), Andy O'Brien (Portsmouth), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur)
Midfielders: Liam Miller (Leeds United), Kevin Kilbane (Everton), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Damien Duff (Chelsea), Graham Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic), Joey O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers), Jonathan Douglas (Leeds United), Michael Doyle (Coventry City), Andy Reid (Tottenham Hotspur), Alan Quinn (Sheffield United), Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
Forwards: Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Stephen Elliott, Liam Lawrence (both Sunderland), Jason Byrne (Shelbourne FC), Alan Lee (Cardiff City), Terry Dixon (Tottenham Hotspur).
((Reporting by Michael Holden and Sharon Finegan; editing by Rex Gowar, London Sports Desk; Reuters Messaging: michael.holden.reuters.com@reuters.net, +353 1 500 1504))
Keywords: SPORT SOCCER IRELAND
For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[SPO] [UKI] [PSC] [RNP] [DNP] [PSP] [EMK] [IE] [WEU] [EUROPE] [SOCC] [CL] [LEN] [RTRS]
Monday, 08 May 2006 13:32:46RTRS [nL08638746] {EN}ENDS

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't thinK Steve Staunton can have been at the Withdean much recently :ohmy:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Nice one WH. Nice to see one of our Keepers getting international recognition although I am sure that loads of knobs on here still think FDM is good enough to play for Holland:tosser:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
B.M.F said:
Nice one WH. Nice to see one of our Keepers getting international recognition although I am sure that loads of knobs on here still think FDM is good enough to play for Holland:tosser:

No, BUT wouldnt palm shots onto opposition strikers/defenders/clod of turf thus resulting in an otherwise avoidable goal(s)/loss of points!

;)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this is good news as like previously mentioned someone might want him , however unfortunately they will prob want to see him play before doing this which is no doubt where the deal will collapse :nono:

It's moments like this when NSC's whingers are shown up in their true light. Of course they know more than Steve Staunton and Bobby Robson :lol:

Last edited:

fourthteamtillidie said:
Now i KNOW you have no f***ing clue about football- Robson lost his judgment marbels yonks ago!

:jester:

I rest my case.

fourthteamtillidie said:
It was tongue in cheek you buffoon.

Mmmmm.....does that include all the joke opinions you've put on this thread?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
London Irish said:
Mmmmm.....does that include all the joke opinions you've put on this thread?

No.

I think that Kuipers wouldnt have let in as many goals as Wayne did in the same number of games, and that the only reason he signed was because he was the only player desperate enough to escape one shit manager (O'Leary) for another. (With the promise of guaranteed games the main incentive)

God forbid my opinion should contradict yours.

But well done for getting into the squad Wayne.

fourthteamtillidie said:
I think that Kuipers wouldnt have let in as many goals as Wayne did in the same number of games

But why do think that? Was it the three that rained in against Luton that makes you think that? The three that rained in against Sheff Utd, including one that was directly his fault but he bravely blamed on an 18-year-old? The bucketload he conceded at Boston including five-goal hauls?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's great news... perhaps the international coaches will give him some tips on angling his hands and fingers properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here