Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Helsinki Ice bars

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Any good - I'm off too Helsinki at the end of November for a few days have seen these Ice bars has anyone been and are they any good or a tourist trap rip off. Will also get the ferry across to Tallinn at some point anything i should do as a must see there?

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Was in Helsinki during June (this year).

The ice bar is in Yliopistonkatu which is just off Senate Square which is dominated by the pure white Lutheran cathedral. As you look at the front of the cathedral, there is a small building on either side at the top of the steps. Yliopistonkatu is opposite the side of the left hand small building.
As you walk down Yliopistonkatu the ice bar is on the other side of the road to the Sokos Hotel. From memory it is open from about 4pm to 1am Wednesday to Sunday. I'm sure it was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I didn't go inside but did talk to an English tourist standing outside who had just come out. He said that it cost the equivalent of £10 to get, could only hold approximately 12 to 15 people at a time and that the recommended maximum time inside was less than 60 minutes due to the cold.
They were the things that stuck in my mind, I can't remember what he said about the price of the drinks in the club although if they are anything like the rest of Scandinavia they will be expensive. A glass of beer in a pub or club costs from £5 upwards. If you want to purchase alcohol in a supermarket or convenience store they only sell beer or cider. Anything stronger can only be obtained from state run Alko stores which close by 9pm. You need to be over 20 to purchase alcohol from any type of store (ID is required) and some pubs and restaurants impose a much higher minimum age of 30.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I went in one on a friends advice a few weeks ago. Awful. Save your cash, Helsinki is already overtly expensive. I was there for 3 days... I saw the 'sights' in a day. I don't want to slag the place off, but there isn't much to see. I'd recommend a day trip/over night to Tallinn, awesome city. Or catch a ferry to st. Petersburg - no visa needed for a short trip. Porvoo is a little closer though and somewhere I wish I'd made it to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been to two, I think one of them may have been the original one - in Sweden? I mean it was definitely in sweden (well, the swedish part of lapland) I'm not sure if it was the original one, it was part of the famous ice hotel there. The shot glasses are made of ice and you have to pay for the glass, too. But you can re-use it, so the challenge is to get as many drinks from one glass as you can (if you reuse a glass, the drink is cheaper).

I also went to one in the finland part of lapland, at an ice village.

It's an impressive architectural feat, but not sure it's a blowaway experience.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Forget about Helsinki, if you have more time a great place to head to is Lahti, sporting capital of Finland and hometown of Jari Litmanen. It is situated on the southern tip of Vesijarvi (huge lake which has some fantastic summer cottages on it). Approx 1 hour from Helsinki.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There's ice bars bloody everywhere now. London, Paris, Dublin, Copenhagen, Reykjavik, Stockholm, etc. Pretty much every European capital has one, based on the original concept from the ice hotel in Kiruna in the far North of Sweden. I've only been to Reykjavik and Stockholm's, but apparently they're all much of a muchness. Located in five star hotels, usually sponsored by a vodka brand (Absolut or Smirnoff, I guess the Helsinki one is probably Finlandia). It's just an industrial freezer kept just below freezing, you pay about ten quid, they lend you a gay looking silver cape and gloves to wear, you stand around a few blocks of ice (there's no seats) having your one free drink - vodka and mixer served in a block of ice, as the nine or ten other people in there (they tend to have a capacity of 15-20 at a push), who will all be annoying loud foreign students, take photos of each other. Then you leave, having wasted half an hour of your life purely for the benefit of being able to bore friends with the pointless anecdote of "when I went to an ice bar". The end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've got some photos of the ones I went to (with seats), I'll post them this evening.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From Finland:

RSDC100241-1.jpg

RSDC100242-1.jpg

Sweden:

RSDC100265.jpg

Cubicle bench

RSDC100267.jpg

More Seats:

RSDC100263.jpg

Game Table:

RSDC100266.jpg

Drink Menu:

RSDC100316.jpg

Northern Lights:

RSDC100315.jpg

How they deal with spillages:

RSDC100318.jpg

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Heh. It's just an ice wall around the table, that person is walking behind it.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
There's ice bars bloody everywhere now. London, Paris, Dublin, Copenhagen, Reykjavik, Stockholm, etc. Pretty much every European capital has one, based on the original concept from the ice hotel in Kiruna in the far North of Sweden. I've only been to Reykjavik and Stockholm's, but apparently they're all much of a muchness. Located in five star hotels, usually sponsored by a vodka brand (Absolut or Smirnoff, I guess the Helsinki one is probably Finlandia). It's just an industrial freezer kept just below freezing, you pay about ten quid, they lend you a gay looking silver cape and gloves to wear, you stand around a few blocks of ice (there's no seats) having your one free drink - vodka and mixer served in a block of ice, as the nine or ten other people in there (they tend to have a capacity of 15-20 at a push), who will all be annoying loud foreign students, take photos of each other. Then you leave, having wasted half an hour of your life purely for the benefit of being able to bore friends with the pointless anecdote of "when I went to an ice bar". The end.

I couldn't have summed it up better, although we paid more than £10 per person. We went to the ice bar in Sharm el Shiek in August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here