Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

help with word please...

Hydro Driven

Nov 1, 2004
Brighton
I'm on Microsoft Word, I pasted some writing from another MW document. Now every time I go to add new words, letters etc in the middle of the text it deletes the next words Ive already wrote.

Everytime I place a letter or a space it deletes 1 to the right, if you understand me?????????

It works perfectly fine on here though.

Yes I've tried turning it of and on again:glare:

Any help please??:albion2:

HD

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Press the Ins or Insert button. That should do the trick.

Saving that, have you tried removing it from the power source and then reintroducing it to the power?

Silvanus

Aug 16, 2007
Really annoys me when that happens. When looking at the screen at the bottom there are those letters. OVR is the one which says that this system is on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This may seem stupid to some but to me it is causing me great annoyance.

I have saved a letter in My documents and copied it to a CD but it shows as read only. I have unclicked the read only box and saved it again but it still shows on the CD as read only. I have clicked on to the help which tells me to use windows explorer to remove the read only but when I do thatiand click apply it shows access denied. I have tried to save it on another CD but still no joy.

Short of retyping the whole thing and then saving it under another name what can I do to remove the read only.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007

I have saved a letter in My documents and copied it to a CD but it shows as read only. I have unclicked the read only box and saved it again but it still shows on the CD as read only. I have clicked on to the help which tells me to use windows explorer to remove the read only but when I do thatiand click apply it shows access denied. I have tried to save it on another CD but still no joy.

Short of retyping the whole thing and then saving it under another name what can I do to remove the read only.

Absolutely nothing. Once its on a CD you can't edit it (unless its a rewritable cd). Think about it... can you record over any of the music cd's you have? Same theory. :) Best bet is to open the document, click File>Save As and store on your pc hard drive. Once the document needs no more editing whack it on a CD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolutely nothing. Once its on a CD you can't edit it (unless its a rewritable cd). Think about it... can you record over any of the music cd's you have? Same theory. :) Best bet is to open the document, click File>Save As and store on your pc hard drive. Once the document needs no more editing whack it on a CD.

It is CD RW and I adjusted the letter saved it to my docs and then wrote it to the CD and still it came up Read only, on the CD but not on my docs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
that pesky insert button!

Does anyone ever actually use the Insert key for anything constructive or is it just a big joke by keyboard manufacturers to piss you off when you type for a while without looking at the screen and then look back to find half your document gone? :rant:

It is CD RW and I adjusted the letter saved it to my docs and then wrote it to the CD and still it came up Read only, on the CD but not on my docs.

You need to have left the cd 'open' when you first wrote it. If you did not then it will probably have formatted the cd as read only and closed the session and you will not be able to re-write it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You can't write stuff back to a CD-RW unless they're in Mount Rainer format; and the one you've got there won't be, it'll be ISO9660 meaning you need to wipe it and rewrite the stuff to it.

CD-RWs are not like floppy or hard disks in this regard.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Does anyone ever actually use the Insert key for anything constructive or is it just a big joke by keyboard manufacturers to piss you off when you type for a while without looking at the screen and then look back to find half your document gone? :rant:

Not anymore really. Its use was in the days of text interfaces, its been mostly obsolete since graphical text editors came about.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Not anymore really. Its use was in the days of text interfaces, its been mostly obsolete since graphical text editors came about.

Unfortunately I use a text interfaced accounting system at work (Chorus). I don't have a lot of call to use Insert, but do occassionaly.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Unfortunately I use a text interfaced accounting system at work (Chorus). I don't have a lot of call to use Insert, but do occassionaly.

Ahh. So it's people like you that keep the Insert Key alive and well eh?

BURN HIM :flameboun

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

I occasionally had to use a text based system when working in BT (CSS - it was billing which meant I only saw it when resolving arguments with customers) ; the monsters still exist unfortunately. But I only had to use it read-only thankfully!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Don't retype it - just open it up - copy it all, post to a new document and save it as a document with a slightly different name. then copy it back to a new cd without the read only.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Nope, no use for the Insert key at all. This one on the other hand, would be well useful......

20050928_10.jpg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
some media players or games use it mapped to pause; the more common key for pause these days is the spacebar though. Also, Ctrl-Break "breaks" execution of programmes in most debuggers - so its essential for some programmers.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Does anyone still use the Pause-Break key next to "scroll lock"?! What does it do?!

I'mfarmoreinterestedinwhatthatlongkeyatthebottomofthekeyboarddoes.It'salljustonebigmysterytome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here