Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with internet Ping

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Hi peeps

After a bit of advice regarding My ISP Ping.

I have run a test using a server in Newbury and i am getting a ping of 40.
Now i think thats a bit high, or am i wrong.
I would have thought for that distance i would be looking at 10-15.

I am running 30mb with Virgin.

Any help would be great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Possibly a bit high, but depends. Is Your ping time to Newbury that important to you? Ping or traceroute is really unrealiable so I wouldn't take too much notice

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Newbury is the sever that ping test chose, i didnt. Its just my internet has been pony the last few weeks. Speedtest is showing me getting a download speed of 30 mb but my ping is high and its giving me a C rating which isnt good.

Just wondered if it was my Pc or maybe the Router

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
It really depends on where you're trying to PING it from. If you live next door to, and have a direct connection to the destination then you've got a problem. If you're in Brazil then you haven't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ping times mean f*** all regarding speed. they are a measure of latency, ie time for round trip communication including time for target to bother to think about responding. or in some cases not, as many routers and switches drop or de-prioritise ICMP traffic. example, ping "microsoft.com". not responding? enter the same in browser.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
My 30 mb Virgin runs at about 21ms on Laptop wireless connection.If this is of any assistance.

Desktop p.c wired, at about 15ms.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here