Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help, we've got Bees and don't want them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're digging out our compost heap, and now halfway down there seems to be a lot of Bee activity.
Now the heap has been undisturbed for 2 or 3 years but there hasn't be significate Bee-age in the garden before now.

Has anyone else had this?
how do we get rid?
Can I encourage them to live elsewhere?
Can I keep one as a pet, and call him Chris?

They are deffo Bees and not wasps or hornets.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Have you thought about becoming a bee keeper in your spare time? I would probably phone the council and get there advice first.I called the council when we had a wasp nest in the roof.You may not be a council tenant but they will offer advice for you.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Have you thought about becoming a bee keeper in your spare time? I would probably phone the council and get there advice first.I called the council when we had a wasp nest in the roof.You may not be a council tenant but they will offer advice for you.

If I had a wasps nest in my roof I'd leave the country until they left or I died...

Not a fan

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We're digging out our compost heap, and now halfway down there seems to be a lot of Bee activity.
Now the heap has been undisturbed for 2 or 3 years but there hasn't be significate Bee-age in the garden before now.

Has anyone else had this?
how do we get rid?
Can I encourage them to live elsewhere?
Can I keep one as a pet, and call him Chris?

They are deffo Bees and not wasps or hornets.

Can any of them play as an attacking midfielder with a stinging shot on them?I f so call for Russell Slade!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are they the big Bumblebee type or the slimmer Honeybee type ?...... I had some of the big ones in my front garden last year in a very dry spot, they dug lots of 1cm wide holes and burrowed down to lay their eggs.. there were lots of them but did not cause any problem and were gone after a few weeks.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Look after them!

Bees are disappearing rapidly. The UK loses 30% of its bee colonies every year. The US has lost 70% of its in the past two years alone.

Because of their vital role in the food chain, if bees were to become extinct, it's been estimated the human race would start to run out of food in just six years.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It would be sad to kill bees, but if you can get them removed then some pertrol around the nest will deter them from returning - they hate the smell.

Its open season on wasps.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
oooo thats rather spooky so have i! im of the mind to buy a shotgun but after reading peoples views on how nice hundreds of bees are in somebody elses garden ile stick to swatting them with a tennis raquet

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Look after them!

Bees are disappearing rapidly. The UK loses 30% of its bee colonies every year. The US has lost 70% of its in the past two years alone.

Because of their vital role in the food chain, if bees were to become extinct, it's been estimated the human race would start to run out of food in just six years.

Albert Einstein was well aware of this connection. When it came to bees, he put it in no uncertain terms: "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

SAVE THE BEES!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are they the big Bumblebee type or the slimmer Honeybee type ?...... I had some of the big ones in my front garden last year in a very dry spot, they dug lots of 1cm wide holes and burrowed down to lay their eggs.. there were lots of them but did not cause any problem and were gone after a few weeks.

How sad is this:-
I know you are right because Wifey phoned a fella from The Sussex Beekeeping Society!.

Anyway fella said they've only been there since Feb and explained if I must move them, how to do it.
Sadly for Mr Very Helpful, he also said 'you probably won't get stung, as they are Bumbles'.

Good enough for me, although I did try to move the nest, just not very successfully. Plus in doing so I must have disturbed Chris, as the worlds biggest Bee, popped out.

Chris et al don't like there new home, but order in the garden has been restored without resorting to violence, or bloodshed.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Bees are protected and you can not disturb them. Call a beekeeper to remove them. You can kill wasps (but they wont be wasps if they are in the compost heap).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you have any fruit trees near you they are probably Mason bees and you should either leave them and they will go elsewhere in time or call the council who will know who to contact to have them removed.
On the point of bees disappearing I have seen plenty this year more than last year for certain last year we had an awful frost that killed of the tree blossom and they just were not around.
you can buy Mason bee homes on the internet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here