Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Please

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have an IPOD 6Gb and someone said that you can get a "transmitter" that attaches to it and you can then listen to it through the car radio on a frequency given out by the transmitter.

Anyone heard of this...if its a Yes, where do I get one?

Someone also said it's Illegal...is that true?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
iTrip i think they are called.

You can get them off Ebay for about £20, although it is illegal in Uk, as you host your own radio station i think on a FM frequency.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Some garages sell them, less than a fiver. Texaco, possibly? You select a frequency on the unit, tune the car radio to that frequency, and away you go. Digital perfection piped through cheap and nasty car speakers!

Illegal - no. Depends on the frequency.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
UK ‘bans’ iPod radio add-on
Treads on broadcasters' toes
By Tony Smith
Published Thursday 31st July 2003 12:40 GMT
Get breaking Reg news straight to your desktop - click here to find out how
Griffin Technologies' iTrip iPod add-on is illegal in the UK, British distributor A M Micro has said.

The iTrip connects to an iPod and transmits songs by FM radio to any radio receiver in the vicinity. While its operation in the US is permitted by the Federal Communications Commission, over here the device contravenes the UK Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949.

Unlike the 2.4GHz band in which 802.11b Wi-Fi operates, or 802.11a's 5HGz band, for example, the 87.7-107.9MHz band used by the iTrip is not licence-exempt spectrum, according to the WTA. As such broadcasters hoping to use that part of the spectrum need the permission of the UK's Radio Agency.

The rules state that UK broadcasters have unique access to the frequencies they have licensed, and that, say the RA, means the iTrip can't transmit on frequencies already taken in the FM band. A M Micro can't license a section of the band and dedicate it to iTrip users because all the available FM frequencies have already been licensed.

Cost isn't an issue - it's only £339 ($548) a year for VHF stations with under 100,000 listeners. That said, anyone using the iTrip would also need to cough up £500 ($808) a year to the Performing Rights Society to cover royalty payments to artists whose music is broadcast.

Of course, the iTrip broadcasts at very low power - the device itself draws all the power it needs from the iPod itself - but it's still enough to intrude on a broadcaster's licensed frequency, potentially interfering with listeners who have tuned into a specific station.

The bottom line, says A M Micro, is that using iTrip is an offence akin to operating a pirate radio station. If caught, the user faces prosecution, as does the dealer for selling him or her their iTrip. Not surprisingly, A M Micro wants to avoid that. ®

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cheers guys. I will have a look

To hell with it being illegal.

I live on the edge you know

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Technically illegal as you are transmitting, but over such a small radius so presents no issues at all.

You can either get a generic transmitter or get the Griffin iTrip which is designed to look and fit with iPods. Make sure you buy the correct iTrip to work with your model.

Ebay or one of the many iPod accessory sites will sort you out.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bozza said:
Technically illegal as you are transmitting, but over such a small radius so presents no issues at all.

You can either get a generic transmitter or get the Griffin iTrip which is designed to look and fit with iPods. Make sure you buy the correct iTrip to work with your model.

Ebay or one of the many iPod accessory sites will sort you out.

cheers mate

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I've got an Arkon SoundFeeder FM Transmitter
£14.95 plus 3.47 shipping from www.goaudio.co.uk

Yes it is illegal (I also live on the edge!) and it has 8 fixed frequencies, and you can choose which one to use (depending on if there is a station there already (88.1 / 88.3 / 88.5 / 88.7 & 107.1 / 107.3 / 107.5 / 107.7). I also use it to get music onto my radio (in the bathroom) and hi-fi tuner from my computer and any other device that has a small headphone socket. It uses 2 AAA batteries that last a long time.

It's also shaped a bit like an egg, which is nice.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If you get caught by old bill ect, just plead ignorance and say you didn't know. Your very unlikely to get prosecuted.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The iTrip has every frequency covered by your FM dial eg 88.0, 88.1, 88.2 etc - you'll rarely find a frequency where you can't get good reception.

Handy in the house too - your iPod becomes a remote control to your stereo with whatever music is uploaded onto it available without changing CDs etc.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The blokes at work have been discussing this and one of them is going to lend me his Itrip. He lives in London and recons it is almost useless in london as there are so many Pirate radio's cutting into the music.

I will give it a go in Brighton and see what happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here