Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help - PC Virus problems..

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I have a problem on my laptop that is really pissing me off, I lent it to someone, and it came back soiled (I am of course above reproach on this (*snigger*))

When I click the internet, it defaults to...

c:\WINDOWS\secure.html and then a load of (ahem) sites just keep popping up, there is nothing to bad, but every time I delete temp int files and restore the home page it goes back to this thing again, but its driving me up the wall totally.

I have the latest Norton, but in the Rougvie household, we just dont do IT.

Any assistance in this matter will be rewarded in alchoholic beverage at the first home game of the season in't sportsmans.

Ta

Roogers

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Not up with all the technology but when I had a problem with my PC I was advised to take it back in time. This cured my problem and may cure your's. Take it back to the date prior to you lending it out and it should be OK.

Go to start, accessories,system tools and then system restart.

Last edited:

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
You want "system restore" if it's an XP machine.

It also sounds like you have some nasty spyware on there. If the above doesn't sort it, then get adaware from www.lavasoft.nu

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I did say I was a complete SPAZ when it comes to IT, but that seems pretty easy

I shall give it a go..

:jester: :dunce: :jester:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Ive got adaware too 6.0, and it doesnt get rid of it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Serious response from moi this time Rougvie. This should mop up a load of the nonsense you seem to have got on there

CoolWebShredder

Click on the link above
Click Open
Close the wee 'Register' window - you don't need to register
DoubleClick on the .exe file
Click Fix

Pint of Stella por favor :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
have you got your original xp cd still? there should be a recovery file on there you can run as the type of pop ups you are getting have been written into the system file of ie and you'll need to reinstall it to overwrite the corrupt (or devious) file...

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tom, I cant seem to get that page to open, it opens a front screen and it says 'contacting the site' with a little gauge that goes quickly to the end and then cannot find server.

Help me again !:(

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Cheers guys, Zebedee, do you recomend any of their free stuff, or is it best to fork out some wonga ?

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
I've got Zone alarm which is free and it stops everything. Got 4 different tracker's for bugs and viruses. If I was you I would get Zone alarm which is brilliant but also AGV which will destroy the virus if a bugger slips through the net.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where can you get that from terrace ?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Terrace Dandy said:
I've got Zone alarm which is free and it stops everything. Got 4 different tracker's for bugs and viruses. If I was you I would get Zone alarm which is brilliant but also AGV which will destroy the virus if a bugger slips through the net.

agreed...zone alarm is excellent, and free. as effective as norton's firewall for example. go to zone alarm home page, download for free.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Terrace Dandy said:
Afternoon Beach hut, what are you after?

This Zone Alarm which is a free download - sounds good

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Right lads, cheers for all your help, looks like some dialer had infiltrated the system, AVG sorted it out and Zone Alarm is certainly worth the download time too.

With the missus out, looks like an action packed evening of surfing shall comence

*splurt*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here