Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help need for Falmer project

PrestonPark Gull

Mar 30, 2010
Hello All,

I am seeking help from Albion supporters for a research project on Falmer entitled 'Home' at Last? which I am undertaking as part of my Masters degree course in Sport, Media and Culture at the University of Brighton.

The study will look at a number of issues around the club’s temporary ‘home’ grounds since the departure from the Goldstone and the pending move to Falmer. I am particularly interested in finding out the views of a cross section of Albion supporters around the following issues / questions:

The impact of the various relocations on both your support and general support for the club

The experiences and feelings of attending games at the club’s different ‘home’ grounds in recent years in terms of facilities, atmosphere, travel, enjoyment etc

What does the idea of a community stadium and its location in Falmer mean to supporters?

How will the move to Falmer affect your support for the club and how it will affect or change the profile of the club’s support in terms of size, location, class, age, gender etc?

As part of my research I am looking for a small group of supporters representing a range of age groups and geographical locations across Brighton & Hove and Sussex to take part in an informal focus group to discuss the above and any other related issues / questions at the Sportsman pub on Saturday May 8th following Albion’s final home game of the season against Yeovil Town. It will really not be much different from the usual post match pub discussion! I’d hope to get things started around 5-15pm and be finished by 6-30pm at the latest.

If you are interested in taking part in my research I would love to hear from you. You can contact me in the first instance to register your interest either by e-mail at J.D.Essex@brighton.ac.uk or by telephone on 07763129021.

Joel Essex
Sport, Media and Culture MA Student
University of Brighton

Just a thought.

If you are looking for a relatively serious fairly structured discussion with Albion supporters wouldn't it be better to do it either before the game or at another time?

After the game I would have thought most people would be more likely to want to talk about how crap the ref was or which of our players are worse at football than my old grannie or why they should be manager instead of Poyet.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Or maybe do your interviews over the phone - ask people to pm you saying when would be a good time for you to call them. Then people can give you their opinions from the comfort of their armchairs.

We get students on here asking for help with surveys for projects on a fairly regular basis, so you do need to make it as easy as possible.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
When I was at college,I managed to talk my statistics lecturer into allowing me to do some (phoney) analysis of the 9 pubs within two miles of my home.Never finished the survey,and in a sense it has been a lifelong piece of work.

Like supporting the Albion ,really.

PrestonPark Gull

Mar 30, 2010
Help needed for Falmer project

Thanks for getting back in touch and cheers for the advice. Hopefully some more people reading this on the board will come forward! However, in response to those points made

Cadiz Seagull

It is difficult to know when and where the best time to do this is but I figured that at least on a match day everyone will be in one place rather than have to come out midweek or on a non match day. I maybe wrong but it also might be easier to get people after a match rather than get them to turn up early at a game. Hopefully what has happened during the game beforehand won't taint (too much!) people's opinion's on the discussions which will not related to on the pitch issues.

Lush

I may look at doing some interviews separately but in my previous experience of doing this sort of thing you usually get far more interesting and informal views in a group discussion not withstanding the difficulties in getting people together in one place at one time!

The Large One

Yes, I understand it is

and Storer68... yes I will be buying - researcher's duty I guess!

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
You must be on the Eastbooooon campus? Is Mark Perrymen still there? If you need any help you can give me a PM as I won't be able to meet up after the game.

Good luck with everything though! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here