Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Luton Town - another club in trouble

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
Please see online petition at www.petitiononline.com/luton/. Sign up and boost the total for them.

I have been involved with a group called the Loyal Luton Supporters Club which is fighting to keep the club in the town of Luton instead of eight miles up the M1 at junction 12, the site chosen by their current board but which is unlikely to gain planning permission for a new stadium.

The petition:-

To: The Football Association

Any Club that is found by a Disciplinary Commission to have failed to comply with any of the requirements contained in Article 12 (rules re agents) will be liable to one or a combination of thefollowing sanctions: (a)a reprimand or warning as to future conduct; (b)suspension of any or all of its board of directors;(c) a fine;(d)an order to pay compensation; (e)a ban on any national and/or international Player transfers for at least three months (such period to contain at least one ‘transfer window’);(f) a ban on any kind of national and/or international football activity; (g)the deduction of points; (h)such further or other penalty or order as the Disciplinary Commission considers appropriate.

The club in this case is Luton , but it could so easily have been any other club. Former chairman Bill Tomlins has admitted to several breaches of FA rules regarding illegal payments to agents, made form jayten - the holding company for Luton Town. Bill Tomlins has since left the club with a 650,000 pay off for his "hard work". It is somewhat unlikely that these payments could be made without the knowledge of other board members.

We call upon the FA, when deciding the clubs fate over the actions of one man or possibly more, to decide who it was who was in breach of the rules. We also ask them to consider their duty to protect their members, and not to punish the club and the fans over something that was beyond their control.

As such we ask that any such punishment is made only in respect of any guilty directors or former directors. Any fines are levied against them personally. We also ask that those found guilty of any major rule breach such as those in question are indefinetely suspended from carrying out any duties involved in the board level management of a football club , and that no punishment is levied upon the club and the fans itself.

The FA could and should use this case to make an example. They have a duty of care to the game to ensure they make the correct example.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

This doesn't seem to have anything much to do with the proposal to move to Junction 12.

And, although it is obviously right for the FA to come down like a ton of bricks on Tomlins, I'm not entirely convinced by an argument that seeks to get the FA to "treat the fans fairly" by not "punishing a club" for the transgressions of its directors.

I know our own history, of course, but our gripe with the FA was that they would do NOTHING about the actions of a Chairman who was hellbent on a course of action that could easily have put us out of business.

There are far too many clubs with supporters who will happily turn a blind eye to the machinations of the directors, as long as they are getting success on the pitch. Fans can't expect solidarity if they do nothing about the situation until the authorities step in.

As far as Luton is concerned, I don't know enough about what's been going on to make a proper judgement. The fact that The History Man is asking me to sign the petition has me leaning in the direction of doing so. But I'd like to know a bit more before I sign up to these particular words.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Done. Getting quite fed up with the crooks ruining this beautiful game.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Luton is not a nice place but they are not Leeds either.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I cant stand Luton and moving 8 miles away from that toilet of an area they currently play in can be nothing but positive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jesus christ - if they built our new stadium 8 miles outside Brighton city limits, I don't really think I'd be complaining that much. I think Bolton have done much the same thing themselves and it hasn't done them any harm.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Simster said:
Jesus christ - if they built our new stadium 8 miles outside Brighton city limits, I don't really think I'd be complaining that much. I think Bolton have done much the same thing themselves and it hasn't done them any harm.

Agreed. 8 miles is hardly that far, feel free to move our stadium 8 miles away if it means getting a new one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here