Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello Sailor

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Navy may let uniformed officers join gay pride parade

Staff and agencies
Thursday March 16, 2006

The Royal Navy signalled today that it might, for the first time, allow uniformed officers to attend a gay pride event.
The second sea lord, Vice Admiral Adrian Johns, is expected to say in a speech at a gay rights conference later today that a "significant number" of lesbian and gay sailors are "very keen" to march in uniform at EuroPride in London.

He will add that the navy is working with gay rights campaigners Stonewall and gay officers on the possibility of having an "overt service presence" at the parade on July 1.

Uniformed members of the police, RAF and army have all previously taken part in UK gay pride festivals, but the navy has yet to follow suit.
It is only six years since the government lifted a ban on homosexuals serving in the armed forces after the prohibition was ruled illegal by the European court of human rights in a case brought by Stonewall.

It is hoped the presence of such a senior officer at Stonewall's annual workplace conference will encourage more gays and lesbians to consider a career in the navy.

In February last year, the Royal Navy became the first of the UK armed forces to sign up to a Stonewall scheme to promote fair treatment of gay, lesbian and bisexual employees.

In his speech, Adm Johns is expected to say: "A significant number of Royal Navy lesbian and gay personnel ... are keen to give a strong personal signal that the Royal Navy is an inclusive employer of choice that welcomes and actively champions diversity in its workforce."

He will also say that since 2000, navy policy has shifted towards creating an environment where gays and lesbians can come out without fear of being harassed or bullied.

He is expected to say: "Our mission is to break down barriers of discrimination, prejudice, fear and misunderstanding.

"Not only is this morally right, it is also for us in a fighting force the best way to deliver maximum operational effectiveness."

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of Stonewall, said: "We are delighted at the strengthening relationship between Stonewall and the Royal Navy, and at the recognition by the Royal Navy that supporting gay staff and recruits makes a real contribution to operational effectiveness.

"The plans the navy now have for encouraging gay people are constructive, and we are confident that the RAF and army will soon consider following suit."

Stonewall's Workplace Conference 2006, with the theme "reaping the rewards of a gay-friendly workplace", is being held at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Bovvered? Am I? Am I Bovvered?

Nah. Always been gays in the Services, they just legalised it to bring us up to date with the rest of the 20th Century. First couple of civil ceremonies were Army, the RN has one coming up on the Victory, the RAF are confused, because most of them thought it was compulsory anyway.

Doesn't stop you doing your job, does it?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Dougal said:
No problem with that , just hope we dont have a war where we need our ships to stand and fight

That's total bollocks. Two of the hardest, most professional men to bear arms that I have ever come across were raving hatracks - and they have both worked at the pinnacle of their profession and have decorations to show for it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
HampshireSeagulls said:
That's total bollocks. Two of the hardest, most professional men to bear arms that I have ever come across were raving hatracks - and they have both worked at the pinnacle of their profession and have decorations to show for it.

hard men and cum across all in one sentance.
You coming out ?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Dougal said:
hard men and cum across all in one sentance.
You coming out ?

No capitalisation, incorrect spelling and punctuation and a misquote all in one sentence?

You Charlie Oatway?

Clown

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
HampshireSeagulls said:
No capitalisation, incorrect spelling and punctuation and a misquote all in one sentence?

You Charlie Oatway?

Clown

no , just at work and have to type and alt tab every few mins. Didn't realise I was being examined.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You managed to make a stupid, uninformed post without panicking about alt-tabbing out of it - what stopped you engaging brain for the second one?

Are you serving?
Have you ever served?
On what basis do you make the assertion in your first post?

Have a little think, then come back and let us know.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
HampshireSeagulls said:

You Charlie Oatway?

Clown
That is being derogatory to Charlie.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
HampshireSeagulls said:
You managed to make a stupid, uninformed post without panicking about alt-tabbing out of it - what stopped you engaging brain for the second one?

Are you serving?
Have you ever served?
On what basis do you make the assertion in your first post?

Have a little think, then come back and let us know.

It was a flipant throw away comment , the joke being that stereo typical gay people are wimps.
You need to calm yourself mate, go and sort your lippy out or something :D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A friend of mine (honest) once told me of a black and white photo he'd seen that was (secretly) taken on board a Royal Navy ship in the 1930s. It showed a sailor bending over - with a schlong long enough to tie a knot in hanging down "amidships" - and the words "Aye Aye Cap'n!" tattooed across the buttocks. All good fun, rum, bum and concertina etc.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You didn't think for long enough, did you?

Looking back at some of your other posts, I suppose I was expecting a bit much.

Dandyman

In London village.
Just as a reminder...

Mathematical genius, Alan Turing, was the inventor of the modern computer. He designed one of the earliest computing machines, and his 1937 academic paper on the subject forms the basis of computer theory.

When war broke out in 1939, Turing played a crucial role in defeating Nazism. But it was not on the battlefield that he excelled.

Based at the government's cipher centre at Bletchley Park, Turing cracked the top-secret German Enigma code. Knowledge of the Nazi code enabled the Allies to have forewarning of German bomber raids, and to track Nazi troop and naval deployments. This helped the Allies take counter-measures to foil the impact of Nazi offensives, and to spread disinformation to the German commanders about Allied war plans.

After the war, Turing did ground-breaking work on theories of artificial intelligence, which further catapulted him to fame. But his career was abruptly halted when, in 1952, he was arrested for homosexuality. Put on probation on condition that he had hormone injections to cure to his gayness, Turing was plunged into a downward spiral of depression and ill-health.

Two years later, he committed suicide at the age of 42.

Whilst you girls have been arguing I've tried to post FOUR diferent pictures of camp "decorations" of the type a homosexual sailor might receive and none of them will load properly :censored: . NSC has been deprived of this hilarious gag that would not only have entertained the masses, but also showcased my original and superior humour. Bozza, sort it out!! :angry:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Lokki 7 said:
Whilst you girls have been arguing I've tried to post FOUR diferent pictures of camp "decorations" of the type a homosexual sailor might receive and none of them will load properly :censored: . NSC has been deprived of this hilarious gag that would not only have entertained the masses, but also showcased my original and superior humour. Bozza, sort it out!! :angry:

You need to take them off your chest - the camera flash is reflecting in the mirror and stopping the picture being taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here