Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heavy Defeats

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Despite Sunday, I think it's true to say that BHA rarely get heavily thumped. I was lucky enough to miss the 2-8 v Bristol R but not so lucky for the disaster at Sodhurst. Besides that the worst I can remember seeing was a 6-1 at Walsall's old ground when Alan Buckley scored 4 in 1974. Has the memory wiped itself clean or do sides rarely score 5 or more against the Albion?
Another bad memory was 0-4 v Darlington at Gillingham - it's useful therapy now.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
was at the warbouys & bannister show,that 4-0 at gillingham by darlo was made worse by the fact that gabbiodini was clearly around a couple of stone overweight for a pro footballer,but still bagged a hat-trick

the most humiliating has to be the walton & hersham 4-0

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
remember a 5-0 away at luton early eighties i think paul walsh hat trick was not a good
5-1 against notts county at home in johnstones paint was probbally the worst or what ever they called it then

but sundays 6-1 against liverpool was weird because came away still very proud to be a brighton fan anyone could see it was not a 6-1 game even dalglish admited as much was still in the game for 60 mins re watched it on espn yesterday just to confirm to myself

ignore the last 20 mins up till then we played ok

keep the faith

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Despite Sunday, I think it's true to say that BHA rarely get heavily thumped. I was lucky enough to miss the 2-8 v Bristol R but not so lucky for the disaster at Sodhurst. Besides that the worst I can remember seeing was a 6-1 at Walsall's old ground when Alan Buckley scored 4 in 1974. Has the memory wiped itself clean or do sides rarely score 5 or more against the Albion?
Another bad memory was 0-4 v Darlington at Gillingham - it's useful therapy now.
:clap: finally a name for that dump that I approve of!

7-1 away to Huddersfield 2 seasons ago and to top it off 1.5hrs stuck in a traffic jam at 1am on the M1 on way back.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
5-1 against Plymouth, Reading and Stoke and the 7-1 instantly spring to mind.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Think I have been lucky in that up till the Liverpool game I have only seen a 4-0 reverse. So I spose its my fault. That and only saw ONE magpie in Stanley Park.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
6-1 is the worst defeat I've witnessed in 36 years of following the Albion (if 6-1 is a worse result that 5-0). Prior to this, it was the 5-0s at Luton and Palace.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The WORST defeat I ever witnessed was the 4-0 against Walton & Hersham, even worse than the Bristol debacle. Seem to recall us shipping 8 in the league cup against Northampton as well - was it (edit: Billy) Best who scored 4 of them - I've tried to obliterate it from my memory :(

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Oldham away in 1991 . lost 1-6. Bloody cold. Got there late - well bang on 3o clock. Stood in the wrong end cost they'd moved the away fans enclosure to the side rather than the huge terrace bhind the goal.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
5-1 against notts county at home in johnstones paint was probbally the worst or what ever they called it then

keep the faith

What a horrible night that was. Wilkins had such a bad game my mate decided we ought to assassinate him before he f***ed up our promotion bid.

Blinding header from Gatting though

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not that often your team gets spanked, but sometimes you can at least shrug and say it was just one of those nights when everything the opposition hit flew in.

Huddersfield (1-7) was not one of those nights. They missed a penalty, hit the woodwork more than once and could actually have had twelve if they really got their shooting boots on. I remember Mendoza and I trying to block the exits as a few JLEs tried to walk out, and telling them that if we had to stay and watch that shit, then so did they. In fairness, some of them grinned, nodded and turned around to come back in.

The unspeakable game at Castle Greyskull was arguably the most incompetent overall performance, and the thing that really stuck in my mind is that I actually felt embarrassed for Kuipers and Mayo in particular, they were so humiliatingly bad. Even now, I struggle to think of a worse individual performance from a professional footballer than poor old Mayo put in that night, and let's be honest, there's been some pretty stiff competition for that title over the years.

The other utterly dismal one was losing 5-1 at home to Stoke under McGhee, last game of the season at Withdean one year. We'd been essentially crap all season, so perhaps it should have been expected, but I remember being surprised at just how pissed off I was with it, the total lack of effort from most of the players acting like a great big F you to all the supporters. I felt like asking the team why they didn't just say they couldn't be arsed, then at least the fans could have made an informed decision not to waste their time & money.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have a feeling Stoke have been something of a bogey team for us over the years haven't they?

I'm sure I remember getting thrashed 4-0 by them at the Goldstone one year, last game of the season, they'd been relegated weeks before and loads of their fans turned up in beach gear and ready to party. Meanwhile, it seemed (pattern emerging here) that our players' minds were already in Magaluf.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about one of McGhee's last games as manager cant remember who it was against, sure somebody will remind me, but we lost 4 - 0 at Withdean and played awful with no effort or passion.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
look at the bigger picture & a heavy defeat is often the precursor of something better. 6 - 1 to Oldham - finished the season with a wembley play off final, 5-1 Notts Co.... promotion, 7 -1 huddersfield....... Poyet appointed a few weeks later. 4-1 Leicester....promoted to div 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here