Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow Terminal evacuated, security alert

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Juan Albion said:
I suspect it was the ice cream that went with it.

Seriously, though, according to CNN, some guy ran up to the Air Algeria desk, dropped a bag, and ran out again.

Perhaps he was asked for his passport and flounced.

On a serious note, I should read the attachment I think.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BarrelofFun said:
Perhaps he was asked for his passport and flounced.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

post of the day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Juan Albion said:
This story has been on CNN for quite a long time this morning but I couldn't find anything about it on the BBC until just now. Very odd, I thought, that the Yanks should be on it way before the locals.

Tis odd because they announced it on BBC Radio 2 at about 14:30.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Aside from a brief mention on travel bulletins, News 24 and local radio, it hasn't been on BBC News. This is because we don't do simple bomb scares. It might, er, scare some people.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Aside from a brief mention on travel bulletins, News 24 and local radio, it hasn't been on BBC News. This is because we don't do simple bomb scares. It might, er, scare some people.
But for one of the terminals at the world's busiest international airports to be shut all day and people evacuated 300 yards away from it, yet none of that appears on the BBC website is a bit weird, no?

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Man of Harveys said:
But for one of the terminals at the world's busiest international airports to be shut all day and people evacuated 300 yards away from it, yet none of that appears on the BBC website is a bit weird, no?

I quote from the BBC's editorial guidelines:

"We do not normally report incidents which turn out to be hoaxes unless they have had a serious and evident effect, such as a major and highly visible transport disruption."

T2 has been shut for half a day, not all day. I guess some BBC suit has decided that it's not "major and highly visible transport disruption".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I quote from the BBC's editorial guidelines:

"We do not normally report incidents which turn out to be hoaxes unless they have had a serious and evident effect, such as a major and highly visible transport disruption."

T2 has been shut for half a day, not all day. I guess some BBC suit has decided that it's not "major and highly visible transport disruption".

It does sound really bizarre...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Typically, the BBC are not the first with Breaking news, certainly not on their website, they'll wait a bit an extract more info, or attempt to validate it by several sources prior to going live with it. I don't believe that CNN is funded by the US Taxpayers!

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Wanderer said:
Typically, the BBC are not the first with Breaking news, certainly not on their website, they'll wait a bit an extract more info, or attempt to validate it by several sources prior to going live with it. I don't believe that CNN is funded by the US Taxpayers!

In part, you're right. You'll remember what happened when we didn't attempt to validate a story by several sources prior to going live with it.

But do you feel cheated out of your licence fee because you didn't find out about a false alarm at Heathrow that could probably only have ever caused mild inconvenience?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You'll remember what happened when we didn't attempt to validate a story by several sources prior to going live with it.
Is this a reference to the "dodgy dossier"/Kelly etc etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here