Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head Gasket

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
How hard are they to change? My brothers has just gone on his punto 1.2. Are they terribly hard to change?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Depends how good you are with spanners and have all the correct diagrams. Its something you certainly have to be careful with and could probably change it in a day or so as you do pretty much have to take the lid off the engine.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
oil in the water doesnt always mean a head gasket has gone, there are other things which can tell you

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Take it to a garage, not worth risking mucking it up yourself. (Yes I am a qualified mechanic).

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
I asked because it is often a result of a head gasket going-and can be a bastard to clean out.

they can be if you havent got the right stuff, lander if i lived nearer brighton i would offer my services, but best you take it to a garage, proburaly best get someone to recomend you one

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Yea especially as I am only a first year apprentice bus mechanic myself lol. Cheers guys

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Unless you've got the gear to skim the block, don't even try it yourself. Don't go main dealer for the repair though!

You'll also have to not drive the car like an Italian after its been replaced - the engine will be 'soft' for life basically. And in future don't get anything with an 8 valve 1.2 Fiat, its probably the engine second closest to being made of butter (after a 1.8 Rover).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do not always have to skin the head and my brother in law will do the head gasket on most cars in about 4 hours. Difference is that he is very very good, being 50 + years old and has grown up with repairing cars from when his dad had the garage behind the Beach Hotel in Worthing, and him 'helping' dad from when he was about 5 years old.

nelshaun

Jun 8, 2011
head gasket set

You're certainly right about the idea that it really depends on how good the owner is with spanners and follow a correct diagram. I messed up before and my old gasket was thrown by me. The good thing is a I get a new head gasket set.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Unless you've got the gear to skim the block, don't even try it yourself. Don't go main dealer for the repair though!

You'll also have to not drive the car like an Italian after its been replaced - the engine will be 'soft' for life basically. And in future don't get anything with an 8 valve 1.2 Fiat, its probably the engine second closest to being made of butter (after a 1.8 Rover).
You're not wrong about the rover mate , the head gasket went on mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here