Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hawkins and Elphick .... is it permanent?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just don't get it. This pre-season I was looking at the squad thinking we were spoiled for choice at centre-half and couldn't decide what I thought the pairing would be, as I permed 2 from Elphick, Lynch, Virgo, Hawkins and El-Abd.

I also assumed that we would be rotating this around a bit until we found the pairing that worked, as surely out of that pool of talent we would get a pairing that could be as solid and reliable as anything we've seen over the past few years.

Yet, we are now into October, and the pairing we seemed to have settled on, is simply not working. They get carved open time and time again, and we are giving away FAR too many goals. Yet when will we change it and try something else?

Lynch has already gone, which is a dreadful loss IMHO, but why are we watching this sort of defending week in, week out and NOT deciding to look at some of the other permutations? C'mon MA, leave your pride to one side, this pairing doesn't gel, so get Virgo in there, or stick El-Abd in there, or even swallow your pride properly and get Lynch back from the Forest bench. But do something, please don't let our current defensive frailties continue without trying SOMETHING.

Mar 12, 2008
Should be Virgo and the Hawk at Leeds. The amount of times Elphick launched the ball out of play when he had time.........at least the Hawk looks for a pass to feet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that DK could do anything about a new manager so MA is fairly safe. My fear is that the supporters will turn on Virgo and Hawkins and the team will suffer even more than we do at the moment.

It is so glaringly obvious that we need Adam Virgo in the defence but will MA's pride allow him to accept that and change things around. What are Dean White and Bob Booker doing they should be giving him the same message.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
getting beyond a joke our player of the year from last season looks half the player that he was, we brought in a centre back who is played anywhere but defence and a Coventry reject gets a place no matter how he plays.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They are NOT a pairing. No pace, no passing ability, not a good enough reading of the game.

Elphick + other please Micky, before it's too late
:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here